Where to buy engagement ring

JZig06

and judge me I could care less.

I wasnt judging you, just trying to help the OP out on buying a ring.

Even if you dont buy from jareds, go and have them teach out about the setting, clarity, size, pricing, etc.

I learned alot at Jareds. And my wife couldnt be happier with her ring.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ol buddy cordell went to the piercing Pagoda jewelry stand kiosk in the center of the mall for his rings. Got a free ear piercing and birthstone studded earring with them as well.

Even my wife thought this was funny. We do see eye to eye on somethings, and this is one of those topics.

and that birthstone stud looks great in my nipple. I remember that day well, left with a slice of Sabarros, a slushie, and a fiance.

And I remember how self-conscious you were at the picnic having that earring in your right ear and all. :p

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/July%203rd%20CR%20cookout/Cordell.jpg

I know you like posting my picture. I hope it brings you pleasure.

P.S. Rule of thumb for what to spend on an engagement ring is two months gross salary.

I don't know who originated this rule, but it seems to get circulated pretty heavily by jewelers and by gold-digging floosies. Gives one pause .....

I'd say spend whatever the two of you decide is appropriate. I was best man at a wedding with simple gold bands, but the bride wanted a $50k wedding (which the groom himself paid for).

My mother wanted my father to buy her an engagement ring. He told her, "Let's just get simple rings now, and when we have enough money, I'll get you diamonds." Dad never felt he had enough money to do that, but it didn't prevent Mom from staying married to him for the next 63 years. It took Death to part them, as the saying goes.

Of course, a diamond is forever ........

Edited by Doc

I don't know who originated this rule, but it seems to get circulated pretty heavily by jewelers and by gold-digging floosies. Gives one pause .....

I'd say spend whatever the two of you decide is appropriate. I was best man at a wedding with simple gold bands, but the bride wanted a $50k wedding (which the groom himself paid for).

My mother wanted my father to buy her an engagement ring. He told her, "Let's just get simple rings now, and when we have enough money, I'll get you diamonds." Dad never felt he had enough money to do that, but it didn't prevent Mom from staying married to him for the next 63 years. It took Death to part them, as the saying goes.

Of course, a diamond is forever ........

My understanding is that the "two months salary" rule originated with DeBeers - a family that obviously has an incentive for people to spend money on diamonds, and the more the better. My point in bringing up the "two months salary" rule wasn't meant as advice for the OP. Rather, it was used to refute Cordell's reasoning. I'm sure you didn't mean to quote me out of context, but I felt compelled to clarify nontheless.

Also, FWIW, people who earn money can spend it however they want. Two month's salary, no month's salary, a year's salary - it's your money; spend it how you like. I've always been a fairly vocal advocate of that stance. Best of luck to the OP.

Farrah Jewelers at Polaris or Tuttle Crossing.. Nice stuff and they give you the good prices right up front...

Fuck that place!!!! I got my wedding band from them nothing but a hassle. I was told they would have it in two weeks when we ordered it. It almost took 2 months. When I got it the size was wrong. I had to have it sent back to get a new one before my wedding and was on pins and needles the whole time until they finally got it in the week of my wedding. DONT USE THEM!!

If she truly loves you and doesn't need a 5k rock on her finger then it doesn't matter. It's not about the amount of money that gets put on her finger, it's the thought that counts. I spent probably a total of $500 if that on both of our rings for my wife and I and she didn't give two shits how much it was worth. To each their own though.

I looked at bluenile but went with a different online retailer and I was happy with my purchase.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com he is based out of Texas but I got and did the transaction while I was in Afghanistan and they shipped it to me insured so I could have it when my g/f and I went to greece so I could propose there. I'd recommend them and they have a large selection of diamonds and were helpful even with multiple emails back and forth.

overstock.com carries rings. If I ever get married I'll just order a couple of their $40 rings (for me) and not care if I fuck them up.

What I have learned from this thread:

Couples that buy inexpensive rings are happier and stay together longer. Unless the ring was bought at a pawn shop.

Couples that buy expensive rings don't stay married long.

If you buy a $20,000 ring, you won't even make it to the wedding.

(edit)

to clarify, she would still get something nice, not a $40 ring. I would just want something cheap for myself. But I wouldn't be spending thousands on her either, I simply can't and she is understanding enough to realize that would be possible down the road, but not now.

Edited by copperhead

overstock.com carries rings. If I ever get married I'll just order a couple of their $40 rings and not care if I fuck them up.

What I have learned from this thread:

Couples that buy inexpensive rings are happier and stay together longer. Unless the ring was bought at a pawn shop.

Couples that buy expensive rings don't stay married long.

If you buy a $20,000 ring, you won't even make it to the wedding.

http://www.rumromanismrebellion.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/triangle-shirtwaist-factory-fire.jpg