Another roll cage question

DaddyBuiltRacing

I have been reading about the NHRA rules today regarding roll cages and found this, just want to see if this is legit or what..

"The NHRA requires a roll bar in every convertible that is 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile. For cars that are not convertible, their cut-off time is 11.49 seconds in the quarter mile. There is an exception to this rule. If the vehicle has the stock firewall and floorboard intact, it can run the quarter mile in as little as 10 seconds. The roll bar has to be constructed with 1 3/4-inch mild steel tubing with a wall thickness of 0.118 inch. Or 1 3/4 chrome-moly tubing with a wall thickness of 0.083 can be used."

This is the first I have ever seen of this "exception", I was always under the impression that no matter what, you needed a cage after 11.49 et's. What is the actual rule about this?

If this is not true does anyone know the breakdown of ET/Trap Speed to # of point cage needed? I.E what point cage is needed when going say 9.99 to 10.50's << just an example

Also are there any limitations on bending the bar that runs behind the front seats? I am 6'6 and do not want to lose all comfort while driving the car, if bending the bar around my seat position is allowable I would be more open to the idea of having a cage in the car.

verrry interesting... +1 I would like to know as well...

I am imagining they added this so that your c6 z06 or zr1 could run without a roll cage.

Yeah that has always been something that interested me as there are cars from the factory that run faster then 11.49 with no cages.

This page is telling me that you need a 5-6 point cage in order to go 10 flat....

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/NHRA-legal_Roll_Bar

"extend in height at least 3" above the driver's helmet with driver in normal driving position " Haha that isn't happening at all

This is from the 2011 rule book from roll cage section. If anybody wants a copy of 2011 rule book PM me your email and I will send it to you.

ROLL CAGE

Roll cage mandatory in cars running 10.99 (*6.99) or quicker or any

car exceeding 135 mph. In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall,

floor, and body (from firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted),

running between 10.00 (*6.40) and 10.99 (*6.99), roll bar permitted

in place of roll cage. In convertibles running 10.99 or quicker or

exceeding 135 mph, roll cage mandatory. Cars running between

7.50 (*4.50) and 9.99 (*6.39) must have chassis recertified every

three years by NHRA and have a serialized sticker affixed to cage

before participation. Plating of chassis prohibited for all cars

manufactured after Jan. 1, 2003. Rear-engine dragsters must

conform to SFI Spec 2.7B; vehicles running 8.49 to 7.50 and/or

exceeding 180 mph must meet appropriate SFI Spec for body used.

Effective Jan. 1, 2007, all new Street Roadsters must conform to

SFI Spec 10.4. Existing Street Roadsters must meet SFI Spec 10.4

at their next scheduled recertification effective Jan. 1, 2008. No

existing cars will be recertified early to delay compliance. All others

must conform to specs for body style used, as listed in General

Regulations 4:11, 10:6.

Ok I got a picture with some arrows for you now lol. The red arrows are the bars I am wondering about if they need to be at a certain angle. The blue arrow is the bar I am trying to see if I can bend around my seat

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/rollbar3.gif

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

The picture I posted above is what they consider a "roll bar", that looks like a cage to me lol. When I think of a roll bar, I envision an upside down U in the back up a pickup truck, not something with a cross bar, 2 bars going to the rear and a side bar damnit lol.

Ok I got a picture with some arrows for you now lol. The red arrows are the bars I am wondering about if they need to be at a certain angle. The blue arrow is the bar I am trying to see if I can bend around my seat

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/rollbar3.gif

I would talk to a chassis guy and see how that will affect things. You have to remember that besides saftey, this will change how your car reacts.

I know for f-body stuff Wolf makes a few different style of roll bars and cages depnding on what you want.

See if there are any local shops that do more of the import stuff and what they can tell you.

And to answer your question I would talk with Atomic Fusion on here (he has his car at IPS) and see where he took his car.

Yeah, I talked to the guys at IPS and to Atomic Fusion. They use Holt. I just wanted to see if there were other options as well. Sounds like Holt is the place to go in central Ohio. Thank you.

Yeah, I talked to the guys at IPS and to Atomic Fusion. They use Holt. I just wanted to see if there were other options as well. Sounds like Holt is the place to go in central Ohio. Thank you.

For central Ohio Holt is the way to go as far as big, well known shops.

I was told Jon Moore at Moorespeed does good cage work but he never got back to me. I will be looking to have someone weld one in my car as well.

moorespeed does awesome work. i kno he is busy rite now, but keep trying. jon does great work

I was told Jon Moore at Moorespeed does good cage work but he never got back to me. I will be looking to have someone weld one in my car as well.

He does, I would follow up with him again. I havn't been able to get ahold of him either and I see him a few times a week.