Need insight on New Blu-Ray Player

TTQ B4U

Okay, in 2007 I bought one of the first BD Players made and it's been fine but it won't play BD-R or BD-RE discs which are what I'm going to be using for my new HD Video Camera :dumb: Fuck this whole HD Video shit is getting expensive. :mad:

Anyway, looking for the groups insight on a quality Blu-Ray player to buy Friday. I see a bunch are internet / wireless but heard some of the Sony's require an adapter, blah, blah....

Right now, my main requirement is to play BD-R or BD-RE but I'd also like to find one that can stream wireless perhaps in better quality than our Wii does. No sense in buying one that doesn't if they exist.

School me on any you have bought and love.

Thanks!!

Edited by TTQ B4U
clarified need

I think the PS3 will do what you need it. http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

List of all the different file formats the ps3 will play.

Also read that it will play burnt .iso files as well.

True, but the last thing my house needs is another gaming system. I also want something like $130 or less :no:

So far I found a Samsung for $140

http://www.hhgregg.com/samsung-wi-fi-internet-blu-ray-player/item/BDD5700

and an LG for $119

http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-3d-network-blu-ray-player/item/BD670

Leaning towards the Samsung only because I've used their support via phone and web and it's good but HHGregg has a decent return policy as I'll know inside a couple hours if I'm keeping it so I may pull the LG Trigger for the savings.

I value CR opinions vs reviews on the HHGregg site and others.

For your theater?

If so, absolutely no reason to go with anything other than this. http://www.oppodigital.com/

Family room theater.....not the lower level. That one is covered. This one is connecting to a Plasma and while I love Oppo, not for this application.

I like the way you think though.

At that point I think you would be fine with any big name brand that streams what you want over the connection you want (wifi or wired?) and plays the disk you want.

Sorry I can't offer more insight, I don't know about any specific players ATM. I would imagine it's very competitive and most of them will be pretty solid.

What brand is your plasma? If you get the same brand player the CEC shit might play a little more nicely?

What camcorder did you go with?

Nothing hugely fancy....Sony CX-160 and a 32gb Class 10 card. I wanted to do the Panny but couldn't justify the extra $100 considering I'm just getting into video. So far the quality is amazing and the Vegas Movie Studio 11 software is great and very intuitive.

with my PS3 I:

-stream netflix via wifi

-stream NHL gamecenter via wifi

-stream NFL Sunday Ticket via wifi

-interwebz

-gaming

-BD

-network via wifi to stream music/tv/movies from my PC

I don't know if you're a sports guy but gamecenter and sunday ticket have changed my life.

with my PS3 I:

-stream netflix via wifi

-stream NHL gamecenter via wifi

-stream NFL Sunday Ticket via wifi

-interwebz

-gaming

-BD

-network via wifi to stream music/tv/movies from my PC

I don't know if you're a sports guy but gamecenter and sunday ticket have changed my life.

:yuno: you need to get off the couch once in a while :p

Nothing hugely fancy....Sony CX-160 and a 32gb Class 10 card. I wanted to do the Panny but couldn't justify the extra $100 considering I'm just getting into video. So far the quality is amazing and the Vegas Movie Studio 11 software is great and very intuitive.

Nice, that's on my short list as well. If you have any "means" ;) of getting Final Cut, it's a GREAT software. Only reason I wish I had a Mac.

Just an update for the group.

Bought the Samsung BD-D5700. I had a Sammy before and it worked great. Was slow, but this one is not.

Streams Netflix in 1080i which is very much welcomed. The really nice thing about it is Sammy's AllShare Software that allows me to share folders from my Computer and then play music or movies or photos from my folders with ease. I had a similar set up years ago on my last computer but the technology at the time was painfully slow.

I highly recommend this one. $129 at HHGregg.

Just ordered this from amazon as per this thread. Looks like a good player and im reallly looking for something to stream videos from my computer in the office.

It will work fine. When you get it, just download the Allshare software from Samsung's site. Pretty self explanatory in setting it up. PM me if you have any questions.