Be Chevy...

Aaron

Forget brake pads.

:dumb:

http://news.yahoo.com/gm-recalls-4-873-sonic-cars-u-canada-144639741.html

GM recalls 4,873 Sonic cars in U.S. and Canada

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co is recalling 4,873 of its current year Chevrolet Sonic subcompact cars in the United States and Canada for possible missing front brake pads, the company and federal safety regulators said on Friday.

GM said it knows of no crashes or injuries due to the issue. GM said it is recalling the cars to see if inner or outer front brake pads are missing.

GM said that its research shows that between 20 and 30 of the recalled cars were sold without one of its brake pads. Of the total recalled, 4,296 were sold to U.S. customers and 577 to Canadian customers, GM said.

The issue was discovered during warranty service on a rental Sonic, GM said.

Customers will be informed of the recall by mid-January, GM said. If technicians at GM dealerships find that a brake pad is missing in a Sonic, they will, if needed, install new inner and outer pads. If needed, brake calipers and brake rotors will also be replaced, at no cost to customers.

GM just started selling the Sonic several months ago. Through November, it sold about 10,000 Sonics in the U.S. market, and nearly half that total in November.

The Sonic is made at GM's plant in Orion Township, Michigan. GM and the United Auto Workers union agreed to allow up to 40 percent of the production workers at the plant to be paid less than veteran UAW workers. The agreement was necessary to keep the Sonic from being produced outside the United States, the UAW and GM have said.

:lolguy:

New Cordell thread: "What the fuck is wrong with these tiny pieces of cat shit? Sonics without brake pads?"

Though, I wouldn't put it past Gov't Motors to review each case of missing-brake-pads to see if the owner is driving sufficiently with only the rear pads. New warranty work may allow the removal of front calipers and rotors, and a crimping of the brake line. Side benefit is less unsprung weight at each front wheel, improving driving dynamics.

Chevy may be on to something here...

How the fuck do you not feel that in the pedal?

How do the dealers not notice that when they are inspecting the cars as they come off the truck? I mean don't they have to at least drive them through the service drive for a quick review and then off through the parking lot? I guess any scraping or grinding sound is normal when you work on a GM lot?

How do the dealers not notice that when they are inspecting the cars as they come off the truck? I mean don't they have to at least drive them through the service drive for a quick review and then off through the parking lot? I guess any scraping or grinding sound is normal when you work on a GM lot?

Since these vehicles are electric, degenerative braking is the primary braking method at low speeds. If they never bring the vehicle up to operating speed the regular brakes will not get used until the customer drives it off the lot and down the highway.

I would LOL if I was inspecting cars, and the brake pedal went to the floor as the piston adjusted for the massive thickness variation. You'd think this should have been caught many times through inspections, but I'm not a line worker. Wouldn't you even see a pretty big difference in brake fluid level?

Lols, haven't seen this yet. You can bet if i get one without pads, its getting everything replaced. This is about as stupid as them leaving bolts out of the steering shaft on the Cruize, or having the shift cable fall out of the Malibu because of missing/broken clips. This isn't the first time.

Since these vehicles are electric, degenerative braking is the primary braking method at low speeds. If they never bring the vehicle up to operating speed the regular brakes will not get used until the customer drives it off the lot and down the highway.

The sonic isn't a hybrid.