New Carry + Unqualified Range Report

sol740

For a number reasons all having to do with simplicity, and wanting to be cheap-er, I have sold a large portion of my admittedly small handgun collection. Sold the Kimber Ultra 45acp, sold the HK USP40, and sold the Beretta PX4 SC40. I decided to focus on 9mm. With those sold, I needed to pickup a 9mm more suited to be an EDC. I was planning on adding another Glock to my collection, and either getting a G19, or G26. I ended up with neither.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/IMG_8872.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/IMG_8868.jpg

So I went to the range today to test it out. Now I have fired the full-size and I expected similar feel, and function and that's exactly what I got. Pistol functioned flawlessly with about 75 rounds of ball, and 20 jhp. Obviously far from being conclusive, but a damn good start, it went bang when I wanted it to. Grip was very comfortable while shooting(medium backstrap), and recoil was not overly sharp through the smallish frame. Trigger has a little grittiness to it through take-up(hopefully will break-in), but breaks clean. Groups were plenty tight at defensive ranges, and I'm sure the gun is plenty more capable than myself. So far so good.

I shoot the M&P 40c. I'm in love with it.

When breaking it in, I wanted to see how much the gun could handle before stripping.

I put a good 300-400 rounds through it and not a single malfunction. Gun is insanely good. Trigger takes some time getting to, but it breaks really nice now.

PS - If you want an extra finger rest baseplate just contact S&W. I called them asking to order one and they sent me 2, for free. I know they're cheap...but they have awesome customer service

ive got some extra pinky extensions if you need them...and get a smith to polish the angle down on the feed ramp...itll feed even better than it is now..i had the guy @ boom boom tactical (not sure if hes still around) crown the muzzle, take it down to 4.5ish lbs on the trigger, polish the feed ramp...its super reliable. great gun

Nice addition to the collection. I need to get out and shoot one of these one day, was never interested after shooting a sigma, I here good things from everyone that has shot them.

Sigmas are crap. I hated it.

ive got some extra pinky extensions if you need them...

That would be sweet, thanks. I heard if you just ask S&W they just give them to you so I actually emailed them, so we'll see if they come through.

nice pick-up Rob! :thumbup:

but what the hell with selling the kimber! :thumbdown:

Yeah ... despite trying to cut back on having so many calibers, I will own some 45acp firearms. Specifically 1911s. Even more specifically, full-size 1911s that will probably be safe-queens. Maybe even give em to my kids someday.

Is that a manual safety? :dumb:

I love my manual safety. Makes an excellent thumb rest.

That would be sweet, thanks. I heard if you just ask S&W they just give them to you so I actually emailed them, so we'll see if they come through.

They sent me a 2 of the low profile and finger tip plates as well. They are awesome at this.

Is that a manual safety? :dumb:

LOL, yeah, I think I got use to carrying the Kimber cocked and locked and now if I have the option I think I will choose to have to a safety if available, and comfortable. I carried my Glock with one in the chamber without issues, and I feel my trigger discipline is excellent. I don't think I've have my boogerhook on the bangswitch without purpose since first learning to shoot. However the more I think about it, the more I feel like most striker-fire pistols are closer to single-action, than double action, and that the term Double-Action Only is a bit misleading. My Kimber had about a 5lb pull, I would guess the M&P does too, also the G17. Difference is I would have never carried the 1911 chambered, safety off. I know the only real safety is between my ears, but maybe someday the safety prevents an accident, a terrible slip of ordinary operation that could have otherwise been a lifetime of regret. I doubt that occurs as much as I doubt it would ever hinder me in a defensive situation. I can't know for sure but I do feel like I've trained myself for a thumb safety now, and it's relatively automatic, as part of the draw.

LOL, yeah, I think I got use to carrying the Kimber cocked and locked and now if I have the option I think I will choose to have to a safety if available, and comfortable. I carried my Glock with one in the chamber without issues, and I feel my trigger discipline is excellent. I don't think I've have my boogerhook on the bangswitch without purpose since first learning to shoot. However the more I think about it, the more I feel like most striker-fire pistols are closer to single-action, than double action, and that the term Double-Action Only is a bit misleading. My Kimber had about a 5lb pull, I would guess the M&P does too, also the G17. Difference is I would have never carried the 1911 chambered, safety off. I know the only real safety is between my ears, but maybe someday the safety prevents an accident, a terrible slip of ordinary operation that could have otherwise been a lifetime of regret. I doubt that occurs as much as I doubt it would ever hinder me in a defensive situation. I can't know for sure but I do feel like I've trained myself for a thumb safety now, and it's relatively automatic, as part of the draw.

It's all about whatever YOU are comfortable with.

:fuckyeah:

That was much better than what I wrote. Succinct, and to the point.

To add to your point, your thumb naturally rests when you draw...I love the thumb rest to be honest. It'll make me more comfortable to carry when I have one chambered.

Trigger has a little grittiness to it through take-up(hopefully will break-in), but breaks clean.

These are pretty easy to smooth out, FYI. If it isn't acceptable after a few hundred rounds I'd take a stone to it. Although, at 5lb I'd be hesitant to do anything with the weight just smooth it out and maybe adjust the overtravel if that's your thing.

It'll make me more comfortable to carry when I have one chambered.

Right, I feel the same way.

These are pretty easy to smooth out, FYI. If it isn't acceptable after a few hundred rounds I'd take a stone to it. Although, at 5lb I'd be hesitant to do anything with the weight just smooth it out and maybe adjust the overtravel if that's your thing.

Cool, I expect it to smooth out significantly after reading up on it.

I've been a fan of M&Ps, but, my sadsquash hands require full size. I don't think you could have gone wrong between the two.

Agreed. The extension really helps the grip feel really comfortable, but I have medium sized hands.