Auto Insurance Questions

wnaplay1647545503

There is no company that is the cheapest for everyone.

They all have departments that's sole existence is to analyze risk, and come up with proprietary ways to quantify data and assign a given amount of risk for each situation or data range.

Calling around is the only way to really find out.

In my case American Family was significantly cheaper than anyone else. I have friends and family who my same agent couldn't touch their rates.

They all have departments that's sole existence is to analyze risk, and come up with proprietary ways to quantify data and assign a given amount of risk for each situation or data range.

In my case American Family was significantly cheaper than anyone else. I have friends and family who my same agent couldn't touch their rates.

This. Not one of the people that have been mentioned can guarantee you'll get what you need. I'm not saying the small agents are bad, but just because they work for one person doesn't mean it'll work for you.

I use Progressive because they meet my needs at a price I like. I can handle nearly everything online, I added renter's insurance to my auto policy for <$10/month (and thats for $300,000 coverage, both auto and renter's), I know that whenever I need anything people will be there to help me. Smaller agents are cheaper but you get what you pay for. You won't have the online support to look at all your documents, they probably won't be there to answer the phone at 2am if you need.

My customers seem to love State Farm, Grange, and Erie. I'd start with them and if they're not meeting your needs, continue calling around.

In my experience, stay the fuck away from Liberty Mutual. But that's just my experience.

This +2

However as stated earlier you owe it to yourself to talk to an agent and come to an informed decision of what you feel you need first as far as coverages go, THEN shop around and make sure it's an apples to apples comparison using all the same coverages and deductibles on those amounts. Online quotes often get only enough information to get you a figure that interest you enough to look into that company further, Until you bind you really don't know exactly what your rate is going to be though.

For low risk adult drivers I pretty much guarantee that the rates of State Farm will not be beat. They have the lowest cost model thus lowest rates in the industry even over companies that don't have exclusive agents to sell their product (progressive). State Farm owns a nearly majority share of the insurance market in the US for this very reason. They'll likely never be overtaken as the #1 carrier in our lifetime. However as risk increases so do their rates to the point of not being cheaper than the rest in those risky situation. With a teen in household they may not be the best bet for you, only way to tell is call to find out.

Its the 3rd vehicle, not necessarily the teen driver. With 3 cars, it automatically lists him as a primary driver. 3 drivers 3 cars. Even if I had just a car I kept in the garage and never drove it would still screw me.

It doesn't have to be...

If thats what your current ins co is saying then I would just have him get his own policy in his name and you pay the bill (if you are paying it now).

Otherwise, keep shopping around...

It doesn't have to be...

If thats what your current ins co is saying then I would just have him get his own policy in his name and you pay the bill (if you are paying it now).

Agent isn't blowing smoke, unless there's more drivers than cars all drivers are assigned to a car and all are considered primary operators. Only way around that is to proove that the child is away at college over 100 miles from home and the car still is garaged at the primary residence.

I wrote insurance rating logic for 10 years, Depending on standard vs. nonstandard logic drivers were either averaged as a whole and that average factor applied against all vehicles, or for nonstandard risk we automatically rate the highest rated driver vs. the highest rated vehicle.

The problem with rolling the kid and the car off on their own policy is it's usually MUCH more expensive that way, if you're just trying to isolate it so that the kid can pay their own insurance policy they will still get some of the benefits of being in your household but not all of the same benefits of just being on the same policy as you. So if your kid is paying their own insurance cool, otherwise keep them on your policy it will save you money if you're footing the bill.

Agent isn't blowing smoke, unless there's more drivers than cars all drivers are assigned to a car and all are considered primary operators. Only way around that is to proove that the child is away at college over 100 miles from home and the car still is garaged at the primary residence.

I wrote insurance rating logic for 10 years, Depending on standard vs. nonstandard logic drivers were either averaged as a whole and that average factor applied against all vehicles, or for nonstandard risk we automatically rate the highest rated driver vs. the highest rated vehicle.

The problem with rolling the kid and the car off on their own policy is it's usually MUCH more expensive that way, if you're just trying to isolate it so that the kid can pay their own insurance policy they will still get some of the benefits of being in your household but not all of the same benefits of just being on the same policy as you. So if your kid is paying their own insurance cool, otherwise keep them on your policy it will save you money if you're footing the bill.

...and that is completely ridiculous!

I remember them trying that crap when my brother turned 16 and my parents fought it. My Dad had a Porsche that sat in the garage and was driven on weekends only. They tried to put my brother as the primary driver on it. Knowing that he would NEVER drive the car, that's just silly.

Even after that, my parents had more than three cars and my brother and I were NEVER primary on any of them until we got our own policy...

...and that is completely ridiculous!

I remember them trying that crap when my brother turned 16 and my parents fought it. My Dad had a Porsche that sat in the garage and was driven on weekends only. They tried to put my brother as the primary driver on it. Knowing that he would NEVER drive the car, that's just silly.

Even after that, my parents had more than three cars and my brother and I were NEVER primary on any of them until we got our own policy...

Don't shoot the messanger. Insurance is a state regulated business, the state has the final say in approving the way companies calculate risk.

Ah, so you're the reason that I have to tell people their policy went up when they sold their second vehicle because they lost the multi-car discount :gabe:.

Ah' date=' so you're the reason that I have to tell people their policy went up when they sold their second vehicle because they lost the multi-car discount :gabe:.[/quote']

Not any more :D , moved into the IT Project Management space over a year ago, but for my first 10 years with my employer I wrote insurance rating code...some eye opening stuff for sure.

Don't shoot the messanger. Insurance is a state regulated business, the state has the final say in approving the way companies calculate risk.

Nothing against you, its just insane....as if suddenly when kids turn 16 they get the idea to take out there parents car....... :lolguy:

Going with esurance will save me aroun $600 every 6 months. Nobody I have spoken with can come within $550 of that price. Any reason I shouldnt go with them. Also the coverages are the same as what I have now.

no issues with my family on it. even with my sister having hit some one. rates didnt hike and no issues getting them to pay for her fault .