Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Yeah, as OSU fans we have to hate on Shane but you know we'd love that kid if he was ours. Just like a ton of people love Urban now after hating him at Florida.

And you're right about the 2014 class being weak in Ohio. But the coaches are out on the road doing work right now nationally.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my buddy are sitting here and we got to talking, who is the early Heisman hopefuls?

I will go on a limb and say Denard Robinson (they will lose to Bama but could win every other game sadly) and he will put up big numbers running the ball on top of his passing. My early front runner though is Matt Barkley

Here's a list of some of the self-reported secondary NCAA violations OSU has committed since Tressel was fired...

• Football coach Urban Meyer said "Good luck," to recruit Noah Spence before his state championship game in Pennsylvania in December. Contact like that with Spence, on his game day, is forbidden.
  • Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin recorded a personalized video for football recruit Ezekiel Elliott for his official campus visit on March 31. Recruiting videos are forbidden.
  • Assistant football coach Mike Vrabel used chewing tobacco on the sidelines during games, which was reported to Ohio State anonymously by an area health teacher. NCAA rules forbid tobacco use during games or practices.
  • Greg Paulus, the basketball team's video coordinator, was reported to be coaching players during the Buckeyes' Big Ten Tournament semifinal win over Michigan on March 10. Video coordinators, who aren't full assistants, may not coach players. The violation was discovered after a general conversation between an OSU player's parent and an assistant athletic director.
  • Last August, quality control football staffer Kirk Barton, a former OSU offensive lineman, created and ordered 20 "JT" bracelets for $5 each online to honor former coach Jim Tressel. He intended them for friends and family, but several players asked Barton about the bracelets. He sold seven players the bracelets for $15, charging that amount in an attempt to make sure no violation was committed, knowing that giving them out for free would be an NCAA violation. But selling them still was deemed a violation because players had access to something not available to the general public. The players returned the bracelets.
  • Assistant coach Stan Drayton last July accidentally sent a text message to a recruit when he meant to send an email. Emails were permissible. Text messages were not.
  • On Aug. 20, assistant coach Dick Tressel responded to a text message from the parents of recruit Warren Ball asking which gate to use to enter Ohio Stadium for a scrimmage. Texting the parents of a recruit was a violation.
  • In December of 2010, five current football players took five recruits on OSU visits to a movie. NCAA rules allow each recruit $60 in spending money for entertainment. A cab ride to the movie put each recruit between $1 and $5 over budget, which the football players paid out of pocket. That was not allowed because the $60 limit was exceeded.
  • The school realized that during three days of the football team's Rose Bowl trip from Dec. 26, 2009, to Jan. 2, 2010, the players received both a $15 per diem and breakfast. That pushed them over the allowable three meals of $45 per diem.

NCAA... :dumb:

Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin recorded a personalized video for football recruit Ezekiel Elliott for his official campus visit on March 31. Recruiting videos are forbidden.

^^ And to think, this fucking moron just got an extension...Gene Smith has got to be one of if not the dumest AD's in the entire country

The Gene Smith extension thing was a fake. Someone just posted the same press release from a few years ago when he got an actual extension.

That being said, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. Everyone kept saying February, then the BOT were going to have a meeting about it in March or sometime in the spring... here we are almost to June and he's still here.

I don't know, it was a weird situation. I figured it would render a secondary but thought there was an outside chance it wouldn't. They made the video for Ezekiel to watch when he came to Columbus because they were in New Orleans for the Final Four. He watched it on campus where, had they not been in New Orleans, he would have met them anyways. I know you can't send a video to a recruit obviously but thought (as they probably did) that if they were on campus any video from a university staff member was fine. Just more NCAA stupidity.

Love how ESPN is running this on the bottom line as if OSU is going to get into some kind of trouble over this stuff though. And they don't even outline what the violations consist of.

I don't know, it was a weird situation. I figured it would render a secondary but thought there was an outside chance it wouldn't. They made the video for Ezekiel to watch when he came to Columbus because they were in New Orleans for the Final Four. He watched it on campus where, had they not been in New Orleans, he would have met them anyways. I know you can't send a video to a recruit obviously but thought (as they probably did) that if they were on campus any video from a university staff member was fine. Just more NCAA stupidity.

Yeah, I am on the side of "The NCAA is fucking retarded" with this one.

Yeah, gotta think Barkley will get a lot of love.

Any QB at USC is by default a Heisman contendor, will carry them to another National Title game, and be a 1st round draft pick as a QB, LT, and Free Safety!!:dumb:

I agree that most of the offenses are ridiculous, you can't say "good luck" to a player? WTF is that bullshit, you cant text a parent to let them know which gate to go through? The NCAA is a joke honestly. ESPN absolutely hates tOSU and I think its all over BTN, OSU is the money maker for the Big 10 conference so why not go after them in attempt of going after BTN. Either way its pretty lame, but until another product comes out worth while ESPN will remain at the top for sports coverage.

• 1 month later...

Oh hey!!! I seriously missed this thread lol. The bitching has already began about the format, 4 teams is weak. I say no more/less then 8. As I mentioned in another thread, you're going to have a buch of pissed off teams that have the same record as those in the 4 team playoff yet sitting at home watching. I think it will create a corruptness as those on the commitee will likely be bribed to select certain schools. If its only a 4 team format then it should atleast be only conference champions, but again that opens a can of worms.

Lets talk about some of the recruits osu has landed in recent weeks.

The D-line recruiting is seriously impressive I must admit and will be a handful for all opposing offensive lines for years to come. The addition of #5 DT Michael Hill as a pleasent suprise. 4* and the #1 player in South Carolina, it'll be nice to see some of the best talent in the south heading north. 6'3 and 315lbs is a load lol, his offer sheet is far more impressive the the 4* rating, he chose OSU over Alabama, Florida, LSU and Clemson just to name a few.

Next up is hometown kid Darron Lee who is a 3* DB but is expected to play the Star position at OSU. Kid was under the radar to many until he came to OSU's camp and tore shit up from all accounts. Its kids like this that I honestly am glad get a chance to be at OSU. He got an offer and accepted on the spot, well right after Fickell made him call his mom and coach to let them know his decision haha.

Now the one suprise recruit that not only has people saying "who" but "why" is Johnny Townsend. Townsed is a punter out of Florida, not a whole lot of information is given about him, not that there generally is about punters. Many are scratching their heads about this choice of scholarship as the count is limited and there is a lack of playmakers and o-lineman on board at this point. Not to metion OSU is still in the mix with a ton of top talent.

Zack, whats the word on schollies remaining at this point, I have heard as many as 5 and as low as 1

The official, current count is 2 available scholarships.

I remember some OL in an interview a week or 2 ago said that Urban was waiting to get a punter commit before offering any more OL so Townsend wasn't a total shock to me. He was supposedly the best punter at a kicking camp at Alabama a couple weeks ago which is what led to the full scholarship offer from Urban. This may shock you but Urban was as into special teams if not more so than Tressel was. Tressel had the quote about the punt being the most important play in football but especially over the last couple years our special teams have been a little lackluster.

And I'll just copy/paste my playoff post from the other thread...

1. LSU

2. Alabama

3. Oklahoma State

4. Stanford

5. Oregon

Oregon had 1 more loss than 2, 3 and 4 so no argument.

1. Auburn

2. Oregon

3. TCU

4. Stanford

5. Wisconsin

Wiscy and Stanford each had 1 loss but Stanford's was to #2 Oregon and Wiscy's was to #9 Michigan State. Going on pure numbers, no real argument for Wisconsin.

1. Alabama

2. Texas

3. Cincy

4. TCU

5. Florida

Top 4 were all undefeated, sorry Florida.

1. Oklahoma

2. Florida

3. Texas

4. Alabama

5. USC

Lots of 1-loss teams that year but Alabama's loss came in their conference title game to #2 Florida (which USC didn't even have one to play) and USC's loss came to 25th ranked Oregon State. No real argument.

1. Ohio State

2. LSU

3. Virginia Tech

4. Oklahoma

5. Georgia

Tons of 2-loss teams. Georgia didn't even win their division of their conference. Sorry.

So the last 5 years, absolutely no issues I can see with the top 4 getting in and the 5th team being left out.

Oh and another comment on Darron Lee... not sure if he'll be a star position player. Some people think he's the same kind of player as Shazier. Same size as Shazier coming out of HS and Fickell really went to bat for him to get an offer from Urban. Kid camped 2 weekends in a row and truly earned the offer. Love it.

So the last 5 years, absolutely no issues I can see with the top 4 getting in and the 5th team being left out.

I see an issue, and it's an issue that basically outlines everything wrong with the BCS, and why an oversight committee is needed. Oregon is below Stanford, a team that they beat, while also being the champion of the conference. Sure, Oregon has one more loss, but that loss was to LSU. That punishes a team for actually trying to schedule tough games, and that is dumb. I'm glad to read that schedule will be heavily weighted.

Sure, Oregon has one more loss, but that loss was to LSU.

1 of their losses was to LSU, yes. The other to USC who lost to a bad Arizona St. team and also their only other game against a ranked opponent all season (Stanford). And had USC been eligible for the post-season Oregon would have had to play them again in the Pac 12 title game but instead got a .500 UCLA team.

Yeah, I had more typed about Urban and special teams but deleted before posting since it was getting lengthy...lol. Urban would put Braxton on the punt unit if he thought he could help there. I think Tressel worried too much about injuries and stuff than he had too when it came to protecting his star players on the field. With him gone last season we saw the use of more of our starting defensive players on special teams and it was a pretty noticeable improvement over the previous year or two when they were awful.