Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But no one would have known. Just like this SEC slurpfest we've seen since 2007 wouldn't be as bad as it is if OSU and Michigan would have had a rematch in Glendale.

No one was slurping the SEC back in 2006. It's pretty crazy to think about. I remember going into that title game thinking "hehe... OSU is from the Big 10... they know how to play some tough football if they have to. Florida with that stupid spread is all finesse. Easy win." Then I had a dream a couple days before the title game where OSU was being blown out and Florida's DL was killing Troy. Not joking about that. I thought it was a hilarious dream.

It was weird - and now, in retrospect, prophetic - that, a bit before the 2006 title game, I was worried about Florida's little "gimmick" tricks they played on offense and how that could give us fits. Maybe it's just me, but in Tressel's tenure, I always thought Ohio State never had any problems playing teams that just ran a traditional-type of offense. However, the little spread teams and gimmicky stuff always gave us fits. I remember often thinking, "If I'm a coach going against Ohio State, I just say fuck it and do all kinds of trick plays all game long. I won't be able to beat them straight-up, so why not just go for broke the whole game?"

Of course, in the end, it wasn't really Florida's offense that did the damage - it was their speedy defensive line. Point is though that, in 2006, no one thought of the SEC as being this all-powerful, semi-NFL conference. Florida was lucky to be in that game and was thought of as being a sacrificial lamb.

I truly think Ohio State thought they "won" the NC after the Michigan game. You had guys breaking out cigars and shit in the locker room after that, like as if to say, "Well, that was the hardest game we'll have. Now we just go to Glendale and collect our national championship trophy."

I truly think Ohio State thought they "won" the NC after the Michigan game. You had guys breaking out cigars and shit in the locker room after that, like as if to say, "Well, that was the hardest game we'll have. Now we just go to Glendale and collect our national championship trophy."

This is absolutely true. There are tons of stories out there about what the team did once they got to Arizona for the title game and they were all cute and funny and whatnot before the game. Basically horror stories and cautionary tales after it.

And while Florida's DL was absolutely the star of that game, their OL was fantastic as well. There were some 3rd and shorts where they pounded right through the middle of OSU's DL with Wynn (kid from Cincy, think it was Deshawn). That was something I didn't expect them to be able to do. Like I said, I thought the Big 10 was the power conference and if OSU had to they could go power but it was Florida who overpowered OSU all night on both sides of the ball.

And now look at the poster child of the SEC... Alabama. Pro-style offense with typically the best OL in the country, a big, bruising back and always one of the best defenses in the country.

Urban seems intent on running some kind of hybrid power spread. OSU's OL will be top 5 in the country next year and Hyde will be one of the top 10 RB's in the country. Throw in Braxton with whatever progression he makes and that offense will be hard to stop. The defense has a lot of catching up to do to get on the same planet as Bama though.

With some dates for spring stuff released yesterday, Urban had a presser today so it sparked a lot of different conversations. One of the big things was how Urban admitted repeatedly that Bama is the goal. They are the cream of the crop and even they had a couple close games and a loss in the SEC which shows the talent in that conference. Said he's studied the A&M film a lot.

But some of the more interesting conversations were this... Urban and Herman had very little idea of what they had going into last season. So while the offense had some success, it was pretty vanilla. Now they know what they have and what they have coming in and what they want to do and it's all about adding and fine tuning now. Again, this is all offensive stuff so there's a lot of positives. They had some team meetings over the last couple days and one of the biggest was about how the DL needs to improve and be dominant if they want to have a shot at the title next season. Gonna be a lot of relatively inexperienced guys out there on the DL with more inexperience behind them at LB but a pretty seasoned secondary thanks to Roby's return.

tl;dr I AM EXCITE REGARDLESS

Agreed with everything you said, Zack. And I'm geeked to hear the stuff about Urban and the offense and going into next year, etc.

Wish we didn't have to wait so long for next season.

Also, Josh, it's 2013 - time to start a new CFB thread. ;)

"Marc Givler ‏ @ MarcGivlerBG

Glenville ATH Christopher Worley has committed # OhioState # buckeyes"

Also Monte Kiffin has been hired as the DC of the Cowboys, wonder how bad USC is going to be now as many belive Monte was really the brains behind Lane lol

im a cowboys fan and i hate this hire. he is gonna die in the box before the season starts. rob ryan had barely any starters left by the end of the season and if they were going to fire someone, fire the coach who cant make good clock choices, awful play calling, and just a lack of knowledge completely. garrett is awful but sucks jerry jones more than anyone else, hence why he is still there.