Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Notes from the first day of practice

Offense

Maybe the most impressive looking player on the field coming out of winter conditioning was senior Reid Fragel. The former tight end was working as the first-team right tackle on day one, and he looks like an NFL tackle. Meyer said he is 298 pounds now with less than 10 percent body fat, which is incredibly impressive for a 6-8 kid.

Senior Jordan Hall took the most snaps with the first-team offense, followed by Rod Smith and then Carlos Hyde. It seemed liked Hall and Smith were best suited for the style offense Ohio State is going to run.

One of the biggest issues during Wednesday’s practice was the lack of consistency from the guys catching those passes. Meyer was not impressed with the skill position players on day one, saying he should be walking off the field thinking "wow" about 2-3 guys.

The first practice for Braxton Miller with the new coaching staff looked a lot like the old practices, except for some of the different things they asked him to do with the football. It’s clear that Miller is going to excel in the read-option, and there were a number of times he broke open on a quarterback keeper (albeit on a non-contact day without full pads).

Miller’s throwing was good, but he is still inconsistent with his ball placement. His timing was better, and he hit 8-10 straight dump-off passes with perfect precision. As a whole, Guiton actually had the better day throwing the ball.

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2012/springball/dayone_insiderreport.html

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense

The lone surprise on the first unit was rising sophomore Curtis Grant at middle linebacker. He came in last year as a top five high school player, but was never able to pick up the system. It appears that business is beginning to pick up for Grant.

Ryan Shazier was at the weakside linebacker spot and Etienne Sabino was at the strong side. When they went to the nickel, Sabino left for Orhian Johnson, who went to safety while Christian Bryant went to nickel back.

By the time September rolls around, I think Kenny Hayes is going to look more like Johnathan Hankins than Johnathan Hankins will.

Hayes, who was listed as a 240-pound freshman defensive lineman last year, is now every bit of 285 pounds. Granted, last year's listing was a little light, but there is no mistaking Hayes for a speed rusher any longer. If he can keep the quickness that he has always had, he could end up quite a player on the inside down the road.

This being my first time seeing freshman linebacker Joshua Perry in person, I couldn't believe how skinny he looked. He's listed at 6-3 231 pounds, and he probably is, but he looks more like a receiver than a linebacker at the moment.

One of the more interesting things that I saw on the day was that Howard appeared to be almost like a liaison between Coombs and his fellow cornerbacks. Following one particular drill when Coombs wasn't happy with rising sophomore Doran Grant, Howard stepped in and explained why Grant did what he did. Coombs listened to them both, nodded, and sent them on their way.

Rising sophomore defensive tackle Michael Bennett certainly hasn't lost any quickness. He still bursts through the line and is a tough matchup for any guard. I believe he played defensive tackle exclusively today, which is where he is certainly at his best.

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2012/springball/dayone_insiderreport_D.html

I saw the interview of Meyer last night by Spielman on ESPN and Urban said that they are lacking skill players. I have been saying for the last year that there was no playmakers on this team, yet everyone argued there was lol. The head coach is now saying it, argument is over at that point lol. They need some playmakers and will need them quick if they want to make a run in 2013 and 2014.

Millers throwing was terrible last year so it doesn't suprise me that Guiton had a better day throwing. Yet another thing I argued all last season was Braxton was a terrible passer regardless of what his stats were, those are often times over inflated as a 10 yard pass with a 70 yard run aferwards counts as the whole 80 for qb. If he can't learn to throw with more consistancy OSU will be in the same boat they were last year.

Glad to hear Fragle is looking good, hopefully his play matches. The one thing that helps him is the fact that he was used mainly as a blocking tight end his whole career anyways. I was a little nervous about a converted TE being the tackle, but we'll see how it works. I guess you gotta work with what you have and right now that isn't a whole lot.

On another note, does anyone know if the spring game is going to be an actual scarlet vs gray game or an offense vs defense game? If its offense vs defense I will stay home as that shit bored me to death.

Looks like Kleins days as a starter have came and went. Here locally everyone thought he would be this stud at OSU, while I said he was too slow and was dominant simply because of the talent level he faced in highschool. I pull for local guys, however this doesn't come as a suprise. Grant was highly touted out of highschool and many felt he should've been a starter last year.

New 2012 Jersey Numbers

5 LB Camren Williams

8 DL Noah Spence

8 WR Ricquan Southward

11 DL Se’Von Pittman

12 QB Cardale Jones

15 LB Josh Perry

18 DB Najee Murray

19 QB Ross Oltorik

23 DB Tyvis Powell

24 DB Armani Reeves

25 RB Bri’onte Dunn

25 LB David Perkins

26 RB Warren Ball

26 P Kevin Niehoff

30 DB Devan Bogard

33 WR Frank Epitropoulos

34 LB Jamal Marcus

35 DB *Vincent Petrella

39 K Kyle Clinton

42 LB Luke Roberts

46 LB Taylor Glancey

48 LB Andy Reed

50 OL Jacoby Boren

60 OL Joey O’Connor

65 OL Pat Elflein

66 OL Kyle Dodson

67 OL *Ben St. John

68 OL Taylor Decker

76 OL *Darryl Baldwin

77 OL *Reid Fragel

83 WR Michael Thomas

87 WR Peter Gwilym

88 TE Derek Burkholder

89 TE Blake Thomas

90 DL Tommy Schutt

91 DL * William McCary

92 DL Adolphus Washington

96 DL Kharim Stephens

97 DL Claudius Mbemba

98 DL Logan Beougher

One interesting thing I noticed about the starters is that Phillly Brown wasn't one of the 3 WR's. Instead is was Smith, Spencer and Fields

WSE--SImon

NT--Goebel

DT--Hankins

SSE--Bellamy

Will--Shazier

Mike--C. Grant

Sam--Sabino

CB--Howard

CB--Roby

S--Barnett

S-Bryant

LT--Mewhort

LG--Norwell

C-- Linsley

RG--M. Hall

RT--Fragel

TE--Stoneburner

WR--Spencer

WR--D.Smith

Slot--Fields

QB--Miller

RB-- four rotated

Glad to hear Fragle is looking good, hopefully his play matches. The one thing that helps him is the fact that he was used mainly as a blocking tight end his whole career anyways. I was a little nervous about a converted TE being the tackle, but we'll see how it works. I guess you gotta work with what you have and right now that isn't a whole lot.
He is playing RT. Also, when USC was having a ton of success in the mid 2000's, they used a lot of converted TE's at tackle.

Looks like Kleins days as a starter have came and went. Here locally everyone thought he would be this stud at OSU, while I said he was too slow and was dominant simply because of the talent level he faced in highschool. I pull for local guys, however this doesn't come as a suprise. Grant was highly touted out of highschool and many felt he should've been a starter last year.
He was in a blue jersey yesterday which means he was hurt. No hurt guys practiced with first team. Grant COULD take his spot, but nothing is a done deal yet.

Yeah I edited the LT part.

Urban sure sounds like Curtis is the starter from this comment:

'Sophomore Curtis Grant, a former five-star recruit, started at middle linebacker with fellow sophomore Ryan Shazier at weakside linebacker and senior Etienne Sabino on the strong side. Senior Storm Klein was limited in practice Wednesday, but that wouldn't change the situation of Grant, who struggled to pick up the defense last season.

His first day he did fine, but ... we have no choice. He has to be a player for us. If he's not, we've got problems."

One thing I read that I don't really like is players having to earn the #1 jersey, thats a scum tradition and should be left up north.

'Sophomore Curtis Grant, a former five-star recruit, started at middle linebacker with fellow sophomore Ryan Shazier at weakside linebacker and senior Etienne Sabino on the strong side. Senior Storm Klein was limited in practice Wednesday, but that wouldn't change the situation of Grant, who struggled to pick up the defense last season.

His first day he did fine, but ... we have no choice. He has to be a player for us. If he's not, we've got problems."

It goes on to say that the situation at linebacker is very fluid right now. I think Klein sucks as much as the next guy, but that doesn't mean that there is someone who sucks less.

Think people need to slow down a bit. alittlelessordinary claiming victory in several arguments about how bad the team is in his mind...lol. It was the first real day this staff had with these kids. Everyone's just getting a feel for each other right now.

Think people need to slow down a bit. alittlelessordinary claiming victory in several arguments about how bad the team is in his mind...lol. It was the first real day this staff had with these kids. Everyone's just getting a feel for each other right now.

Not to mention Meyer clearly stated both Braxton and Kenny can throw the ball and miller "hit 8-10 straight dump-off passes with perfect precision."

Also Miller barely even threw the ball at all last year.

I am claiming victories in areas that you personally argued with me about. You claim that there is all these weapons at the playmaking positions and I stated you're wrong, apparently Urban Meyer agrees with me. You are just too damn blind to see that the playmakers are missing from this current team and it will be an issue not only this year but moving forward until more recruiting classes come in. I am not putting that on Urban Meyer, it is mainly the fault of Tress and Fickell for the type of recruits they took, that and a ton of WR's transfering out that would've been starters for this team.

Dump off passes, wow I am so fucking impressed that he can throw a dump off pass!! Cograts he has now advanced to 3rd grade qb level. The dude throws the wobbliest ball of any college football qb that I watched last year, over throws targets who are wide open (see the Michigan game). I will give him credit for 2 passes and even those should've been turnovers (Wisconsin and Purdue) had the defenders been paying attention.

I don't believe I made mention of "how bad this team is" I just stated that I am not expecting much better then last year given the current level of talent. I think many OSU fans are just spoiled. Everyone got used to one first round player leaving and 2 more waiting in the wings that they took it for granted. What NFL worthy playmaker do you see on this current team right now? I am not talking in 1-2 more years, I am talking at this current day and time....

Edited cause I felt like I was attacking you personally and didn't want to come off that way ;)

Miller sucks at throwing the ball. I could clearly determine that by the dozens of wounded ducks he heaved up last year.

I'm all for him being a QB and I'll be cautiously optimistic about his ability to improve this year. But, please, anyone who tries to tell me that Miller is actually good at throwing balls in the game can politely go fuck themselves.

Miller sucks at throwing the ball. I could clearly determine that by the dozens of wounded ducks he heaved up last year.

I'm all for him being a QB and I'll be cautiously optimistic about his ability to improve this year. But, please, anyone who tries to tell me that Miller is actually good at throwing balls in the game can politely go fuck themselves.

Also, everyone keeps saying that Meyer is some QB whisperer, except they then forget that Dan Mullen was his QB coach from BG, all the way till Tebow's senior year. I think having a real QB coach is going to be awesome for OSU going forward, but I don't expect the magic that other people do.

Also, everyone keeps saying that Meyer is some QB whisperer, except they then forget that Dan Mullen was his QB coach from BG, all the way till Tebow's senior year. I think having a real QB coach is going to be awesome for OSU going forward, but I don't expect the magic that other people do.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer (rather, I'm a total OSU homer), but at the same time I can't ignore the fact that Miller's passing was downright atrocious at times. Sure, I think he will improve, and I certainly hope he improves a lot, but he's got quite a way to go, IMHO.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer (rather, I'm a total OSU homer), but at the same time I can't ignore the fact that Miller's passing was downright atrocious at times. Sure, I think he will improve, and I certainly hope he improves a lot, but he's got quite a way to go, IMHO.

Lmfao I do believe I have been saying those exact words for the last year and got hated on by most on here. Glad to see I wasnt alone in my thoughts

Was Miller bad at times last season? Absolutely. He had no QB coach and wasn't supposed to be the starter anyways. But he showed a lot of potential. Like I said, yesterday was the first day he could really get to work with the new, REAL staff. Did people expect the reports to be "Miller looked like a shorter, faster, blacker Peyton Manning" or something? Now is the time where he will learn and progress. Now then this summer then some more in fall camp. Then even more throughout this "mock" season since there's no bowl game.

And I don't know where I ever argued that this roster was littered with playmakers. All I can ever really remember saying is that the team's talent wasn't best utilized last season because of 1) no competent offensive minds being left on the staff and 2) awful Bauserman/a true freshman starting at QB instead of a Heisman candidate. Anyone else remember how incredible the team looked offensively in the first half against Nebraska? The awful offensive staff was able to pull that off, albeit only for a half, so I'm confident we'll be able to see some more of that more often this season under a real offensive staff.

Clearly they saw the ability and potential in practice. No one is saying he is Tom Brady.

He was the best option last year...could you imagine what the season would've looked like had Bauserman been the starter all damn year haha. I am not expecting him to be Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers...ect. I just hate how all Buckeye fans think this kid is the second coming of Christ and can do no wrong. He has a ways to go before I would consider him a good qb, hopefully he gets there becasue as a Buckeye fan I want nothing but the best for the team.