Z06 or Grand Sport

ForeverMaker

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh man I just went and looked at this red GS at Mercedes of Easton...

gs.PNG

full gallery

VERY nice. The glass roof is amazing, and it has a solid roof too. I really don't think anybody could go wrong with a GS.

I think you made the right choice with the Z06.

The GS has things that just don't set well with me. Like those shark gill things. And the wheels bother me to no end. Staying with the nautical theme, they look like crab claws. Or, perhaps worse, they look like little T-Rex arms.

Of course, this is the equivalent of me bitching about Adrianna Lima having a pimple, but you get what I'm saying. For me, the Z06 was the clear choice.

welcome to the party. hardest part will be holding off on driving until the roads are good. corvetteforum.com is your friend. tons of information, vendor specials, etc. i got a sweet deal on some upgrades for my '09 coming this spring on that site

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/kirks5oh/DSC00601.jpg

welcome to the party. hardest part will be holding off on driving until the roads are good. corvetteforum.com is your friend. tons of information, vendor specials, etc. i got a sweet deal on some upgrades for my '09 coming this spring on that site

Much :fuckyeah: featured here.

oh man I just went and looked at this red GS at Mercedes of Easton...

gs.PNG

full gallery

VERY nice. The glass roof is amazing, and it has a solid roof too. I really don't think anybody could go wrong with a GS.

Was glad to meet you Ryan and show you the car!!!

Thanks,

Eric

I think you made the right choice with the Z06.

The GS has things that just don't set well with me. Like those shark gill things. And the wheels bother me to no end. Staying with the nautical theme, they look like crab claws. Or, perhaps worse, they look like little T-Rex arms.

Of course, this is the equivalent of me bitching about Adrianna Lima having a pimple, but you get what I'm saying. For me, the Z06 was the clear choice.

Never thought of the rims like that, haha. Really it came down to something I read on the vette forums.. and that is, at a stop light, if you could be in one and the guy next to you in the other, which would you pick? Z06 every time for me.

^ best color out there. hard to find those.

congrats on the new car! bring it out to c&c in the spring

Will definitely be at c&c as much as possible.

Congrats!

Same one as before? How many miles?

Stock?

Fixed... http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/../ubb/wink.gif

Yep same one... Completely stock. 35k miles. Miles don't scare me. I would go 60k+ for the right price. Essentially a one-owner car. The 2nd owner has put only a few hundred miles on it. He is 76 years old and said it was too much for him, haha.

red.png

• 1 month later...

I wanted to follow-up on my decision now that I am approaching 1000 miles of seat time in this thing.

Initial impressions were that the car is a bit... rough... the engine is loud and makes some odd noises (that are normal), the exhaust is loud, shifting is chunky, and the tires are loud. These are all things you have to expect with a car that was created for the track. I guess I just expected to like it right away.

However, after a while I have really grown to love it. People said it was a caged beast and it is indeed. You can break the tires loose whenever you like and when you breach 3500RPM and the taps open on the exhaust, it is an audible warning that you better be ready for the rear end to dance. I have not disengaged traction control yet and it still gets scary sometimes.

Around town/driving to work I really like it. Decent on gas, gets lots of looks (odd for a Chevy :dumb:) and is more comfortable than I thought it would be. I did actually come across a Gran Sport and a base C6 at stoplights and it really did reaffirm the fact that I was glad I went with the Z.

As far as mods, I probably won't do anything major since the warranty is still good on it, but will definitely do an intake and tint soon. After the warranty is up I would be interested in a cam and maybe nitrous. (2 bottles mounted in the back window would be cool I think.) I will also need to do rear tires this spring as I have been roasting them a lot. At $500 each I am not looking forward to that bill.

I will be doing a paint correction on it this summer. Normal wear for a car and some chips here and there. The wax I want to use costs nearly $300. :megusta: http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemical-Guys-M31/E-zyme-Natura-P278/8-oz-S1/

Interior & leather will get treated and cleansed fully. I plan on documenting the entire process so there will be plenty of detailing pics come spring.

If you think it is fun now, wait until the pavement warms up... it makes a HUGE difference believe it or not.

Also, regarding noise, there are a few things: Get good tires. Since you daily drive a lot, I recommend Mich. PS2's anything else is really a compromise.

you can also do a lot to reduce the road noise with some good sound deadening over the rear wheel arches, and rear trunk area. On the c5z, a trunk partition makes a HUGE difference, but not sure if it is as effective on the c6z since it is a hatch.

Oh, if you have TC off, you still have active handling. The C6z has one additional mode over the c5z...

It goes like this for you:

TC/AH on - (normal mode)

TC off / AH on - (one push of the button), maintains a more aggressive active handling, to keep you from having a bad day

Competitive Driving - (two pushes within 5 seconds): TC off, less aggressive AH to allow you to do more, or have a bad day if you cant control

TC/AH both off - (hold button down for 5 seconds) Its all in the hands of the driver... max fun, or max damage.

If you think it is fun now, wait until the pavement warms up... it makes a HUGE difference believe it or not.

Also, regarding noise, there are a few things: Get good tires. Since you daily drive a lot, I recommend Mich. PS2's anything else is really a compromise.

you can also do a lot to reduce the road noise with some good sound deadening over the rear wheel arches, and rear trunk area. On the c5z, a trunk partition makes a HUGE difference, but not sure if it is as effective on the c6z since it is a hatch.

Oh, if you have TC off, you still have active handling. The C6z has one additional mode over the c5z...

It goes like this for you:

TC/AH on - (normal mode)

TC off / AH on - (one push of the button), maintains a more aggressive active handling, to keep you from having a bad day

Competitive Driving - (two pushes within 5 seconds): TC off, less aggressive AH to allow you to do more, or have a bad day if you cant control

TC/AH both off - (hold button down for 5 seconds) Its all in the hands of the driver... max fun, or max damage.

Thanks for the info. Yea everyone is raving about the PS2's. I think I may go with the Nittos first and see how I like them (they are a bit cheaper), then next year go with the PS2's.

Driver is weak, I beat it over the weekend...

Sounded and looked awesome man!

Fixed, and rematch the next weekend we have good weather. :gabe:

i'm happy with the nitto's that i have. i kept the runflats (they have 1500 miles on them) on the stock wheels, and bought a set of repro wheels in black. i have nitto invo's up front and drag radials in the back. now that i have the drag radials broken in, the car is much quieter than when it was stock.

i also have an MGW shifter which makes a huge difference, as does frequently replacing the clutch hydraulic fluid. i simply remove the black fluid with a turkey baster from the reservoir, refill with good fluid, and pump the clutch 20-30 times---repeat this process 5-6 times and the car shifts like butter.

get a mild to wild switch, so you can open the exhaust flaps all the time, and still shut them on the freeway to make it quiet.

unless you enjoy detailing your car, call andy (audi on 19's)--he does an incredible job

Thanks for the info. Yea everyone is raving about the PS2's. I think I may go with the Nittos first and see how I like them (they are a bit cheaper), then next year go with the PS2's.

Fixed, and rematch the next weekend we have good weather. :gabe:

The next time we have good weather I may have the Camaro out, get some.