DIY (Automotive) Paint Questions

acklac7

Looking to potentially invest some $ into some equipment so that I can paint my ride come spring. What all will I need to factor in when painting (outside of the cost of paint/primer/clear coat etc). Are certain guns better then others? Will I need to install additional HID lighting? How big of an issue is ventilation? Figured I should ask before I started making purchases.

Looking to potentially invest some $ into some equipment so that I can paint my ride come spring. What all will I need to factor in when painting (outside of the cost of paint/primer/clear coat etc). Are certain guns better then others? Will I need to install additional HID lighting? How big of an issue is ventilation? Figured I should ask before I started making purchases.

Not to be a dick but if you do not know the answers to these questions already, you have no business painting your own car if you want a quality job. Anyone can spray a paint gun. The other 90% of prep and experience is what makes a paint job.

There are many factors that go into equipment needed for a quality job as well. You can buy equipment that will get the job done, or you can buy some that makes the job much nicer.

Pay someone to do it, unless you know what your doing it won't look as good as you want it too or volunteer to work around a paint shop to learn the craft.

Yea see I hate paying people to do things im already interested in learning about. Hate it.

Not to be a dick but if you do not know the answers to these questions already, you have no business painting your own car if you want a quality job. Anyone can spray a paint gun. The other 90% of prep and experience is what makes a paint job.

There are many factors that go into equipment needed for a quality job as well. You can buy equipment that will get the job done, or you can buy some that makes the job much nicer.

Sall good, CR wouldn't be CR without peoples honest opinions. So is experience absolutely key then? Like prep work, sanding all that crap im fine with, but I guess time with a gun is key? I mean guys who paint/have painted vehicles, how did your 1st car turn out?

Wow, the guy wants to learn to do something for himself and you guys jump his shit?

AJ, a lot goes into a paintjob, and the prep work can make or break it. I would really suggest lurking some painting forums, I know there are some out there. And don't get discouraged, being able to paint your own stuff is a ton of work, but very rewarding. Its a great feeling to know that what everyone sees was done by you.

my first paint work turned out pretty decent, but only because I worked at a shop for a bit doing prep and watched the painter quite a bit before I did anything on my own. Take you time, and find something you don't care about (really anything that paint will stick to) to practice on and get a feel for the gun. Once you are confident with that, try out an actual body panel. and keep in mind, if you screw up you can always sand it down and start over.

Wow, the guy wants to learn to do something for himself and you guys jump his shit?

AJ, a lot goes into a paintjob, and the prep work can make or break it. I would really suggest lurking some painting forums, I know there are some out there. And don't get discouraged, being able to paint your own stuff is a ton of work, but very rewarding. Its a great feeling to know that what everyone sees was done by you.

my first paint work turned out pretty decent, but only because I worked at a shop for a bit doing prep and watched the painter quite a bit before I did anything on my own. Take you time, and find something you don't care about (really anything that paint will stick to) to practice on and get a feel for the gun. Once you are confident with that, try out an actual body panel. and keep in mind, if you screw up you can always sand it down and start over.

We totally agree on this.

I feel the same way as I hate letting other people do any work on my stuff. My Dad decided to do the same thing last year and painted his Mustang, I would've painted something I cared less about before i painted a nice 68 Mustang, but the spots that didn't turn out right he'll sand off and paint again. Overall its turning out pretty decent.

I do know that quality guns go a long way, good regulators, plenty of air supply, and ventilation with good filtering is very important as well.

Yea see I hate paying people to do things im already interested in learning about. Hate it

Sall good, CR wouldn't be CR without peoples honest opinions. So is experience absolutely key then? Like prep work, sanding all that crap im fine with, but I guess time with a gun is key? I mean guys who paint/have painted vehicles, how did your 1st car turn out?

I understand you hate paying people to do these things for you but it wouldnt be costly if everyone knew how to do it. For many, there are alot of years in learning how to paint.

Experience is most of it in my opinion. At the same time, you cant ever have experience if you dont start somewhere. Time with a gun is the smallest part of painting. All of the other work is that hard shit that makes the paint job. How do you know you are fine with sanding if you have never painted anything you have done all the prep work to? My first car turned out great, but I had a lot of time and help in the small stuff leading up to the painting as well as a lot of time with a gun before ever spraying a car.

Not jumping this guys shit at all. I am trying to save a guy who is asking for advice a lot of headache and money.

If you are really serious in wanting to learn to paint, I would take your time and practice with all of the aspects going into painting a car, just not on an actual car. Get some fenders and practice body work, prep, and painting it. Get comfortable with your tools and materials you are using. Maye even try different manufactures and paint systems.

As far as equipment, be ready to invest some coin. Again, if you are serious about it, this should be expected. I would buy an 80gal-2stage 5hp or better compressor, I prefer Sata HVLP guns. I have a dedicated primer gun, an digital HVLP for base, and a Sata RP for clear. Build yourself a little booth out of 2x4s and plastic with some fans in a heated garage so you can practice with some little stuff. More optional equipment will come over time. Your going to need a whole lot of tape, paper, sanding tools, sanding material, and information to get started.

Start slow, and start small.

I understand you hate paying people to do these things for you but it wouldnt be costly if everyone knew how to do it. For many, there are alot of years in learning how to paint.

Experience is most of it in my opinion. At the same time, you cant ever have experience if you dont start somewhere. Time with a gun is the smallest part of painting. All of the other work is that hard shit that makes the paint job. How do you know you are fine with sanding if you have never painted anything you have done all the prep work to? My first car turned out great, but I had a lot of time and help in the small stuff leading up to the painting as well as a lot of time with a gun before ever spraying a car.

I guess I should have stated that I did a small amount of research then (painstakingly) sanded/primed/(spray) painted my OEM/Winter wheels last fall, they came out way WAY better then expected. Got me thinking shit, maybe I should give my car a shot? I mean even if it came out so/so I wouldn't be all too upset.

Not jumping this guys shit at all. I am trying to save a guy who is asking for advice a lot of headache and money.

If you are really serious in wanting to learn to paint, I would take your time and practice with all of the aspects going into painting a car, just not on an actual car. Get some fenders and practice body work, prep, and painting it. Get comfortable with your tools and materials you are using. Maye even try different manufactures and paint systems.

As far as equipment, be ready to invest some coin. Again, if you are serious about it, this should be expected. I would buy an 80gal-2stage 5hp or better compressor, I prefer Sata HVLP guns. I have a dedicated primer gun, an digital HVLP for base, and a Sata RP for clear. Build yourself a little booth out of 2x4s and plastic with some fans in a heated garage so you can practice with some little stuff. More optional equipment will come over time. Your going to need a whole lot of tape, paper, sanding tools, sanding material, and information to get started.

Start slow, and start small.

Great advice so far (from everyone), but seriously do I need 3 guns? and a 80gal compressor? Can I "get by" with one gun and maybe a 20 gal compressor?

I painted a few old company vans with the $25 harbor freight gravity feed gun, they looked fine, the prep was done right and the materials were good. Sprayed it outside on a calm day. I probably spent more time wet sanding than a guy with better skills but it turned out fine and last the 7 years I had the vans. I did have to add a filter/drier to my air compressor. If your only doing one job and don't want to invest in equipment maaco usually has the $199 special. Do your own prep and supply better paint and have them do the spraying/finishing.

If your only doing one job and don't want to invest in equipment maaco usually has the $199 special. Do your own prep and supply better paint and have them do the spraying/finishing.

Hmmmm interdasting never heard of this before. What all is included for $199?

Look at their site them an Earl sheib if still in business has always done the paint job for those crazy low prices. My in laws had the cheap job done and it lasted a few years but the next time they supplied own materials and saved even more on the job itself. He even did the repairs and had them finish his work. Search maaco's website and see their different packages, I know they advertise these specials in the paper mint and valupack advertisements.

I guess I should have stated that I did a small amount of research then (painstakingly) sanded/primed/(spray) painted my OEM/Winter wheels last fall, they came out way WAY better then expected. Got me thinking shit, maybe I should give my car a shot? I mean even if it came out so/so I wouldn't be all too upset.

Great advice so far (from everyone), but seriously do I need 3 guns? and a 80gal compressor? Can I "get by" with one gun and maybe a 20 gal compressor?

Wheels are a good start. I don't believe this qualifies you to create straight repairs on your car yet though, especially when dealing with filler. Keep in mind, my definition of a straight car and great paint job might be different than yours and many other here. I want to cry every time I have to look closely at the paint on my truck after 100+ man hours, $7,500 later, and allowing someone to help my finish my truck when I wasn't able to.

Do you need 3 guns? Not at all. Just saying what I use for example. It all depends on what you want to invest. Can you get away with a 20 gal compressor? I could never see how. I painted a car once with a 60 gallon single stage once and fucking hated it.

Like I said, I advise you pick up a fender, put some dents in it, and then repair them to a state ready to be refinished and repeat. After you can make solid repairs then i would move to refinishing stage. If you don't mind your car gagging the body lines of cottage cheese, by all means, sand and spray away.

Like someone has already mentioned, it is all about the prep work and having a mentor to get you going. I was lucky my dad worked and retired from PPG and had a lot of training in body shop and was able to pass this skill unto my brother and I.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_show=TK&ep_num=TK2011-16

I'm going to be painting my '82 Ford in the spring. The hood has a lot of surface rust, so I'm going to take it off and hone my technique before going all over the rest of the truck...