2003 Tahoe 2WD 4.8L Rear Brakes

Clifford Automotive

Trying to do a brake job on my dads Tahoe.

New pads, new rotors. Swap everything out, proceed as normal through the process. Get to putting caliper back on carrier, doesn't fit.

Checked pads. They're correct.

Checked rotors. They're correct.

Took measurements, everything is in spec.

Do we have to get back into turning brand new rotors? Caliper guage said the rotors where dead on to each other.

Thanks Vince I just read that and will take a peek at the pads tomorrow. I swapped pads into all sorts of combinations and had no luck.

The pistons are all the way in.

The total with of the rotors and pads was 2 11/16, the total with of the caliper opening is 2 11/16. You cant even begin to make contact with the piston because the opening was too small.

So that raises my question again, do we have to start turning brand new rotors again?

There are actually quite a few differences in brakes on GM's fullsize trucks and SUVs. Every truck I do at work parts has at least 2 listings for each axle, usually its a difference in both pads and rotors though. I've had some that only fit with the shims on the back of the pads removed, and others that are inboard/outboard specific. Problem with trying to help you over internet is that GM is very inconsistent when it comes to brakes and the like.

I typod the above the total with of the pads and rotors were 2 13/16 with the caliper opening being 2 11/16.

Thats not physically possible to clear. I have all combination. I even stepped down a year to different rotors, but that will cause a safety concern in 500-1000 miles.