C'Bus Gubmint Auction - Buy a TEERUK!!!

zeitgeist57

I found the link. theres some cheap ass vehicles on there for sale as well as items. I signed up to be a member and are checking auctions as we speak. BRB, driving to cars n coffee in a duece n a 1/2.

Is the auction in that article link I referenced? Looking forward to checking it out later today...

You need a CDL if you put a trailer on the 5th wheel of the 915A1. The motors are pretty easy to work on and redneck fixes common with this truck. Should still be a lot of parts out there. The A1 was pulled from service in the last 3 years and replaced by an A3, which is now being replaced by the A5 with a sleeper cab. There are no luxury's in the A1. No AC other than the window being down. Heat, if it works, is there. They are 6x6 and can pull a metric shit ton. Seats suck for comfort. Whatever glass they used for the windows breaks very easy, so broken wind shields are common.

There is enough room, if you are creative, to fuck a chick in one. Just sayin.

I believe you need a CDL. I'd prefer the deuce and a half over those. Smaller and may be more useful offroad being a 6x6.

Really... so I can drive a tractor & trailer around with just a regular license as long as it's not for commercial purposes? :dumb:

I've always wondered if all of these old people crossing the country one Wal-Mart parking lot at a time in their 50klb 40ft long monstrosities need any kind of special license or not.

915A1, was that the CAT 15 speed semi auto? We had them in some of the old AM General 916s and 920s. Fun transmission :)

It's just a T- handle auto, or I think some are the 3000 series Allison trans.

I may or may not have sheared the drive shaft of the rear dif with a 20ton in 2nd gear and having to make a hard stop after going from a stand still. Once parts got moving, all that momentum had to go some where. When I hit the breaks, parts went flying. Fucking pain in the ass to drive a 15 speed with a shifter set up like that.

i have driven deuces and buses in the military with no CDL on public roads.

you do not need a CDL to drive these.

i doubt Ashton got his CDL for this

http://www.partiallyprofessional.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/akutcher.jpg

slap a "not for hire" sticker on it and you are golden.

thats truck in the picture is under cdl

The military do not need a CDL the drive their trucks, of any kind. However, if you buy a 915A1 like the ones in the pic, if you put a trailer on the 5th wheel that is over 40', you better have a CDL on public roads. So yes, you could hook up to a short car trailer and pull it with the 915 without CDL. Buses and RV's, most do not require a CDL due to over all length of the vehicle. Buses, cargo trucks and the like (2-5 ton included), do not need a CDL. Buses are tricky due to their use. RV's the size of a GreyHound buses, get around the CDL requirement by the RV category and seating capacity. There are some specifics in there, but then it starts getting into the kind of vehicle and purpose of it's use.

No, you wouldn't need a CDL to drive one. At work, our old buses are first auctioned off before being sent to the big scrapheap in the sky. Several buyers have converted them into OSU pre-game party buses. Commercial use, size, and seat count dictate whether or not you would need a CDL. Since it's a small (Under 40 feet), privately-owned vehicle with just a bench seat you can legally drive it.

IIRC anything over 26k requires a cdl.

Correct.

And if your pulling over a "combined" weight.

Air Brakes and CDL's are misunderstood. It all comes down to the weight of the vehicle.

One of my many responsibility when I worked for someone was dispatching trucks of different sizes.