Halp. Looking for specific wheels for mustang...

Science Abuse

Looking for some lightweight 17" wheels, 5x114.3

Not hard, right?

Well, I want them to be narrow, 7.5 or so.

Not hard?

I want them to be high-quality, I need them to be safe at 180+mph

Getting harder.

I'd like them to be solid, no air passing through them.

Cant find shit.

Would like an assortment of backspacing to choose from, to make sure they are flush with the fenders.

See above, about shit.

Have you considered the high speed standard moon discs bolted to a lightweight readily available wheel?

But I have no leads, only hubcaps. I knew there would be a compromise in weight to have a solid wheel, though theoretically you can have wheels of the same weight and "strength" no matter what the format... you just need the right alloy and the right machinist... neither of which I can afford. ;)

I'm sure I can find a non-solid wheel, I'd just like the extra bit of stability they offer. As the patterned wheels spin faster and faster, they blow like inefficient fans and "could" lead to instability. Salt is slippery enough as-is.

Of course, there's a chance that I'm fretting over 300mph problems. I *have* seen budget wheels fail at much lower speeds, so I'm sticking with that demand. Maybe my first question should be: Which manufacturers can be trusted with my life?

Funnycar rims and tires seem to be popular among the salties, but I don't want to forfeit that much tire yet.

What's your plan, vehicle, class, etc? When are you going out, this year, next?

I would love to go for speed-week sometime. I might have to tag along as support.

If you are serious about this, I might be able to get you in contact with someone who has extensive experience. I can imagine it could be invaluable to pick someone's brain who's been through everything a few times. AFAIK it's a little bit of a good-old-boys club and there are lots of little miss-steps most learn through experience. Just like any racing, I think you could build a whole car and have it rejected based on safety concerns or lack of info on the build. This might not be as big of a hurdle with mass pro type cars and lower, relatively speaking, speeds.

It's hard to beat the 99+ Base GT Wheel for lightweight 17's. I believe they are somewhere around 17lbs each and they are 17x8. I want a set for the Fox badly, but I'm not ready to 5-lug swap it yet.

http://www.musclecardrive.com/images/specs_pics/1999_mustang_gt.jpg

You'd still have to do something about aerodynamics though, I guess. It's a pretty open wheel.

It's hard to beat the 99+ Base GT Wheel for lightweight 17's. I believe they are somewhere around 17lbs each and they are 17x8. I want a set for the Fox badly, but I'm not ready to 5-lug swap it yet.

http://www.musclecardrive.com/images/specs_pics/1999_mustang_gt.jpg

You'd still have to do something about aerodynamics though, I guess. It's a pretty open wheel.

I was looking at those. I can get past their ugliness... but what happens when they spin at 2000rpm?

These came up: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54134

http://rlv.zcache.com/for_the_win_postcard-p239691635036922586z8iat_400.jpg

Why can't I find SFI 15.1? I found an IHRA reference that says "SFI 15.1 wheels with beadlocks mandatory if car exceed 215mph", which is promising.