Car Ideas (for wife)

Xyster101

Wife and I are looking for a new car, mainly for her. It will be a DD.

Requirements:

sporty

little luxury

Coupe or sedan

good looks

Priced $40k or less

Stick Shift (has to be)

Reliable

We are tall. I'm 6'5" (180lbs) and she is 5'10" (xlbs)

What she likes so far:

G37 (only drove auto, she hated auto, but liked the car)

Audi A5 (has only seen pics)

She hates:

Corvette

CTS (we drove one, made for small people)

Mustang

Going to test drive this weekend:

Genesis (doesn't like pics)

370Z (does like pics)

Audi

I am all for a used car, she wants 3 years or newer. G37 would have to be ordered for $42k since no one has a used stick in 300 miles. We currently have a 03 civic and element and a 91 MR2. She would drive the civic or element in the snow.

Are Audi's and BMW's reliable?

Pics or it didn't happen

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/CTSChrista1.jpg

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/G37Christa1.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no personal experience but I have heard the 370's are nice fun DD's and a LOT of women here in DFW have them. The two most popular sports cars I see down here with women driving them, 350/370 and Corvettes. They are EVERYWHERE.

If she was willing to go used, 335i/xi? New 128i's are a tad over $40k, but I am assuming you can't really haggle the price with BMW's the way you can a Ford.

A5 or A4 are both available in manual with quattro. The new Audis are far more reliable than the older Audis. You know the new GTI is supposedly going to be vastly improved as well.

Good girl requiring a manual. My wife is the same way.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a used german car (especially VAG products) unless it's a CPO or it's new.

One idea is to go with a plug-in hybrid and before you guys lynch me, here is why. The tax rebate is going to be increased to $10k (if it passed) and a Volt is eligible for the whole $10k (double of last year eligibility).

My idea is to lease one for the same amount of time the warranty which means you don't have to worry about repairs. Plus, there are GM mechanics on this board (Cordell is one) of whom you can give your choice words if there is something wrong with your Volt.

Upfront cost is roughly $5k and the $4+k can be used to pay for roughly a quarter of to half of the lease payments. Fuel cost (electric and gasoline) is very low especially if you can plug it in to your neighbor's house or your work.

A full charge supposedly costs $1.51 in electricity (good for GM claim of 40 miles) which, depending on the 87-octane price, means roughly half a gallon of gasoline. That calculated to an equivalence of 80 miles per gallon of gasoline, cost-wise. The car will never run out of "juice" (electricity or gasoline) as long as there is a fuel station nearby.

There I said it, you guys can ban me now :)

Edited by POS VETT
Correction - it's not 80 miles per charge, but more like 40 miles per charge, my bad.

2008 Legacy GT Limited ;)

That's an oddly specific recommendation... :gabe:

I was going to suggest an LGT also. They are nice and roomy and maintenance doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. Not as nice as the BMW or some Audi models but it's a pretty nice car. They make good power and you could easily drive it in winter too.

You can definitely get one under your budget, especially if you pick up one that's a couple years old.

Also, please ban POS VETT :lolguy:

Buick Buick Buick Buick Buick.

I've always been a fan of the Acura approach to luxury cars (fun to drive, not too expensive, RWD is way overrated), but Acura started making butt-ass ugly cars and now Buick, of all brands, is showing them how it's done.

Regal GS or even just a turbo. Sporty, good looking, little bit of luxury, well priced.

One idea is to go with a plug-in hybrid and before you guys lynch me, here is why. The tax rebate is going to be increased to $10k (if it passed) and a Volt is eligible for the whole $10k (double of last year eligibility).

And Obama wants it to be at point of sale and not a tax rebate... things would be nutty then. I was just talking with my partner about this because she loves the idea of a PHEV/EV. Will it work for all PHEV's or does the amount of rebate depend on the battery size, distance the car can go on elec only? The Prius plug in is $7k less than the volt. $32k for the Prius PHEV, minus 10K... 22K for that car is damn low.