$2500 Harley?

zeitgeist57

I have seen a few, and forgive me if this is wrong, sportsters going for that range. I dont think alot of guys want them because they are smaller frames and typically designed for women. I could be wrong but everytime I see someone wanting to trade for a harley, the ads typically state no sportsters. Craigslist usually has a few projects for cheap already meeting what your looking to do.

I have seen a few, and forgive me if this is wrong, sportsters going for that range. I dont think alot of guys want them because they are smaller frames and typically designed for women. I could be wrong but everytime I see someone wanting to trade for a harley, the ads typically state no sportsters. Craigslist usually has a few projects for cheap already meeting what your looking to do.

:lolguy:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/album.php?albumid=297&pictureid=2035http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/album.php?albumid=297&pictureid=2035http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=297&pictureid=2035

KillJoy

Good luck. I've seen beat-to-fuck non-functional basket-cases sell for more than that. You know you could buy an actual decent functional japanese bike for that much.

True... I always saw myself as a Harley guy for some reason (Merica, fuck yeah!) but I really like the Shadow that the wife picked up a couple of years ago. It has been dead reliable and it's actually pretty sharp looking. I have seen some of those with the bobber treatment and liked them alot.

In fact I'm about to put that bike up for sale. It's a nice, low miles 2005 Honda Shadow 750 for not much over that budget.

($3200ish?) Pm for details if interested :gabe:

I be very leary of any harley under $2500. If it's running and that's all they are asking it's probably about to explode. I've probably put way more than mine is worth into restoring it to good running condition and I'm not there yet. So far we've replaced:

Starter

Solonoid

Generator

Coil

Battery

Wiring harness

Carb

Pistons and jugs

Rebuilt the heads

Master cylinder

Front caliper

and probably a dozen other parts I'm not thinking of. 30 years of roadside repairs, hack rebuilds, and general shitty maintenance took their toll. Luckily the transmission was still in decent shape. With any luck it'll be back on the road this summer.

Just noticed the "rat bike project" comment in the original post. You may be able to find a basket case sportster for that money. Problem is they are normally basket cases because the idiot to took it apart didn't know how to put it back together and lost interest in the project. Your problem buying one is normally there are a few dozen little parts that have gone missing. Since you're talking about a rat bike/bobber project a basket case may not be a bad idea. If you're willing to get creative on replacement parts you could probably knock something together.

I've always wanted to find an old basket case Indian Chief and build it up from nothing, but I've never even seen one advertised.

This one doesn't quite meet all your requirements but would be an interesting start.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1974-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-Sportster-Xlh1000-102318885

It is an AMF Harley, but since it runs you know it's at least complete. Since it is '74 the shifter is on the right which gives cool points. The price is higher than you wanted to start at $3400. But it might be worth considering since you could buy a basket case for $2500 and then end up spending 900 tracking down missing/miscellaneous parts.

BTW, if you buy it make sure your fillings are in good condition. These old bikes will rattle them right out of your teeth.

This one doesn't quite meet all your requirements but would be an interesting start.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1974-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-Sportster-Xlh1000-102318885

It is an AMF Harley, but since it runs you know it's at least complete. Since it is '74 the shifter is on the right which gives cool points. The price is higher than you wanted to start at $3400. But it might be worth considering since you could buy a basket case for $2500 and then end up spending 900 tracking down missing/miscellaneous parts.

BTW, if you buy it make sure your fillings are in good condition. These old bikes will rattle them right out of your teeth.

QFT!

These bikes aren't my thing, especially with the Harley tax, but it would be cool to see you document one of these projects as you put it together.

True... I always saw myself as a Harley guy for some reason (Merica, fuck yeah!) but I really like the Shadow that the wife picked up a couple of years ago. It has been dead reliable and it's actually pretty sharp looking. I have seen some of those with the bobber treatment and liked them alot.

In fact I'm about to put that bike up for sale. It's a nice, low miles 2005 Honda Shadow 750 for not much over that budget.

($3200ish?) Pm for details if interested :gabe:

+1 for the Honda Shadow. I have an 1100cc and it is amazing. Not one issue. All the harleys I have ridden are junk. They are built to rattle to all hell and the parts are on swivels so they can move (think handle bars...no joke).

FYI - $3200ish for a 2005 750 Shadow is a bit steep. I bought my 2007 with 3000 miles for slightly more than that.

-Marc