2.0L Turbo 4 Cyl Camaros for the 6th Gen

Fubar231

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/insider-information-predicts-changes-to-the-6th-gen-camaro-lineup/

The automotive world is full of “the next best thing.” As soon as one car model or generation comes out, we’re already looking forward to the next and it is no different when it comes to the Camaro. In fact, as soon as the fifth-generation cars were introduced, people were predicting an ultra-performance model. Now that the ZL1 is here, we’re already looking ahead to the sixth-generation muscle car. It is still a few years off, but predictions about what the sixth generation will have in store are already popping up on forums like GM Inside News.

The sixth-generation Camaro is supposed to hit dealerships as a 2016 model. Although little has been released about the future model, the buzz around the GM Inside News forum, who claims to have gotten information from sourced insiders, is that there will be a few drastic changes from the latest Camaros’ configurations.

The first major change that is being discussed is the potential addition of Camaro models. Right now we have the Camaro LS, LT and SS models, as well as the ZL1. In 2016, Chevrolet is purportedly introducing the Camaro Z-spec and the Z/28.

The Z-spec is supposed to be one step above the base coupe while the Z/28 will be the top-of-the-line Camaro under the ZL1.

The next big change is that GM will be using not a V8 or even a V6 to power the base Camaros, but rather a turbocharged 2.0L I4 engine. Although not yet confirmed by GM, this information is devastating to many muscle car enthusiasts.

Destined for the Sport Coupe and the Z-spec sub models, the turbocharged engine is set to make between 260 and 325 horsepower. For the base Sport Coupe, the engine will be mated to a six-speed automatic while a six-speed manual is an added option on the Z-spec. Although the Sport Coupe is much less powerful than the current base model, the gas mileage has skyrocketed, reaching an EPA estimated 34 MPG in the city and 47 on the highway. Based on these numbers, you could eventually have a modern “muscle car” with stellar fuel economy.

A possible 2.0L turbo camaro with a 6 speed manual making between 260-325 HP?

Thoughts?

Then again, the current Camaro was supposedly slated for a turbo-4 as an option in the base when the rumors were still going around...

I got to drive one of those 4-cyl 80s 3rd gens back in high school...it belonged to a friend whose Dad was smart enough to realize a teenager needs a cool LOOKING car, but not one with actual horsepower. Ever lose to a school bus from a roll? That car did.

150hp 148ft lbs :dumb:

If they put the 2.0/2.2/2.4 in the 130R then it would have some potential. I just dont see the 1.4 being a big enough motor for people to make good power out of them. Good candidate for a LSx swap though.

If the next gen loses some weight, which it will, I think it's a good idea. The 2.0L makes decent power, but I still think this car will need larger displacement, like a turbo 2.4 or 2.5L. As it sits, the 2.0L makes great torque, but that's at the expense of top end. With more displacement 300 ft-lbs and 300 HP should be easily reached.

I just read a review of the new Hyundai Azera, and it appears that they're replacing the venerable 3.8L V6 with a (small by comparison, still pretty large) 3.3L V6 that makes 293hp with direct injection.

20 years ago GM debuted the 5.7L LT1 in the C4 with 7 more horsepowers than a 3.3L that Hyundai is now shoving in their boring family sedans.

So everyone needs to stop getting hung up on cylinder count. The times, they are a changin'. Don't be surprised if in 10 years the only GM car you can get with a V8 is a Corvette or wears a GMC badge.

How about they just take the decent technology they have an actually engineer it to have better MPG's. No one needs nor wants a turbo 4 in a over weight pig. I say work over the current V6 and V8 platforms a bit.

Well, that's happening too. Everything's getting DI, every engine platform is getting boost. The DI V6 is getting boost, the LSx is getting DI, the next 4 cylinder generation is starting to roll out.

I would expect the next Camaro to be built off the ATS platform, which allows it to shed quite a bot of weight.

"Ten Automotive Stereotypes that need to die" #7

http://jalopnik.com/5884022/ten-automotive-stereotypes-that-need-to-die/gallery/5

Its about time, honestly.

That's not a myth. There ISN'T a replacement for displacement, only substitutes and technological advances to get more out of less. Forced induction just emulates more displacement.

That motor sounds familiar. I also hear that it may be an option in the new caddy. I like it in my car, not sure about a heavier car but if they can get 47MPG then I think it might work.

Yup, it's available on the Caddy ATS, and that car weighs 3300-3400 lbs, which is only 2-300 more than yours. Shouldn't be any less peppy than a Regal GS.

Replacement for displacement = boost.

I just read a review of the new Hyundai Azera, and it appears that they're replacing the venerable 3.8L V6 with a (small by comparison, still pretty large) 3.3L V6 that makes 293hp with direct injection.

20 years ago GM debuted the 5.7L LT1 in the C4 with 7 more horsepowers than a 3.3L that Hyundai is now shoving in their boring family sedans.

So everyone needs to stop getting hung up on cylinder count. The times, they are a changin'. Don't be surprised if in 10 years the only GM car you can get with a V8 is a Corvette or wears a GMC badge.

There is this thing called torque that everyone is complaining about. More of it way earlier in the rpm range.

Replacement for displacement = boost.

/thread

There is this thing called torque that everyone is complaining about. More of it way earlier in the rpm range.

There's several fixes for this too. Nitrous, Anti-lag, different turbo technologies, ect.