2012 Road Cycling thread

evan9381

Understandable in that situation, but what about someone like me who rides 3-4x/wk, has close to 3k miles logged this year? Its nice to have upgraded features. Your opinion on how much of a difference it makes is yours alone, but i bet anyone who rides a decent amount would argue it with you.

And just for example, last 2 years, i rode a used bike, 5cm too big for me, bottom line components. Upgraded this year with the intentions of doing a lot more. Bike is more comfortable, lighter, and more precise shifting. Due to this, i enjoy riding more, and so far have about 2.5x the miles i had all of last year, and i still have a couple months of good weather for riding.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's not a value-added expenditure. If you just love riding, then find a bike that doesn't hurt and ride it. Extra thousands of dollars for those conveniences could be much better spent.

A girl I was dating a couple of years ago was like that. She'd bitch and moan about having a bunch of comp time and not being able to afford to take a vacation and use it... because she'd just spent $3000 to buy a bike and get it fitted. She did exactly one charity ride a year and never placed north of mid-pack. I asked why she spent that much, and she gave your reasons. I pressed her, why did she neeeed that stuff?

Her old bike made her thumbs numb.

Dumped her a few weeks later. Don't need no woman who makes those kinds of financial decisions. :p Also, she sucked in bed... or didn't... you get it.

Why do you care how others spend their money? This makes it "seem" like you are jealous. Just my .02

If Evan was constantly complaining how he couldn't feed his family, or make rent that's one thing, but why can't people just be happy that others are happy with what the have or spend their hard earned money on?

It think I was 10 the first time I put 1000 miles on a bike in a summer... maybe 11, not kidding.

People spend a shit-ton of money one this stuff, and I swear to Ronnie James Dio; I don't see why unless they're competitive at a top-10-in-your-class level. Overweight sloths on $3000 bikes are a common sight around here.... sorry dude, that extra 130% you spent on all that competitive advantage ain't going to make you any faster.

[/beerpost]

i agree 100%. long story short my dad, who rode around on an old trek forever, bought a used cervello that retailed for 4 grand off an IT guy who wanted to run with the big dogs on the weekends. Dad paid 1,500 because the bike didnt make IT guy fast and he couldn't keep up. Later that year the CF frame cracked, he had IT guy send it back to Cervello and he got next years model.

he had that trek 300( bought used as well) for probably 15-20 years, rode weekends and days after work, and did all sorts of sponsored rides. he kicked ass on an obsolete bike for years... its about the rider not the 100g shoes, speed play pedals, glasses, lance arm strong helmet, live strong bracelet, the tires, the bike or the "prework out drink" ;).

Just like any hobby you can spend as much or as little as you want but in the long run its not going to actually make a big difference. Diet, general health and fitness, and TITS (time in the saddle) is the best investment.

Edited by Sturg

i agree 100%. long story short my dad, who rode around on an old trek forever, bought a used cervello that retailed for 4 grand off an IT guy who wanted to run with the big dogs on the weekends. Dad paid 1,500 because the bike didnt make IT guy fast and he couldn't keep up. Later that year the CF frame cracked, he had IT guy send it back to Cervello and he got next years model.

he had that trek 300( bought used as well) for probably 15-20 years, rode weekends and days after work, and did all sorts of sponsored rides. he kicked ass on an obsolete bike for years... its about the rider not the 100g shoes, speed play pedals, glasses, lance arm strong helmet, live strong bracelet, the tires, the bike or the "prework out drink" ;).

Just like any hobby you can spend as much or as little as you want but in the long run its not going to actually make a big difference. Diet, general health and fitness, and TITS (time in the saddle) is the best investment.

I should comment that I agree with this, but it still is peoples money to spend as they choose. Even if it does not make you better.

Edit:(And I have the Atmos Livestong helmet, 1st I support the cause more than I support Lance, 2nd If you have never worn one they are amazing, it's like it's not even on your head, the new Ionos is even better, actually forces more air on your head than without the helmet.

I should comment that I agree with this, but it still is peoples money to spend as they choose. Even if it does not make you better.

Edit:(And I have the Atmos Livestong helmet, 1st I support the cause more than I support Lance, 2nd If you have never worn one they are amazing, it's like it's not even on your head, the new Ionos is even better, actually forces more air on your head than without the helmet.

Oh yea, i mean people can do what ever they want with their money, i dont care. But i'll still make fun of them for it. Furthermore, im all for comfort. Ill spend some money on a good pair of shorts to keep my guch intact. Just like your comfortable helmet.

Edited by Sturg

• 1 month later...

Bump!

560 miles in september, im over 3500 for the year. If i dont get another mile in (which wont happen) i'd be happy. Now to see if i can crack 4000 by years end. Gonna be tough with all the weekday evening rides ended and the days getting shorter. Weekends are all ive really got now, and my trainer, but im not counting trainer miles like i know some people do.

• 1 month later...

so, i scored a full Ultegra 6700 groupset today for $280, and another $20 for a 12-27sp cassette. it was kind of an impulse buy at the swap meet, but i know i got it for a steal...online, new grouppos are going for just under $700 to close to $900, and this stuff is barely used

so, i've been sitting here thinking today, do i put this on my cheap entry level frame next spring, and ride that next year, or option B below...?

i had planned on buying a new bike in a few months, full carbon, sram red, basically a complete upgrade from my aluminum/tiagra ride now.

my other option is to sell this stuff on ebay, make a few bucks, put that money into my bike fund, and sell my cheap bike next spring and put that money into the fund, and then maybe spring for some even better wheels on the new ride.

decisions decisions...

well, the full bike i've been eyeing is a new supersix, and right now the LBS has it down to $3750 w/ full sram red and ksyrium elites.

to buy a decent carbon frame/fork combo, slap on a stem, handlebars, wheelset, and swap all this stuff over, it'll probably be comparable. might save a few bucks, but at least buying new, i'll have service covered for a few years.

do i need sram red? no. would it be nice to get the best now and not need to upgrade for years to come? sure. really wish i knew how much i'd get into it this year, and bought nicer than what i did. oh well, hind sight is 20/20

any opinion on what i might be able to get out of that grouppo if i sold it?

• 3 weeks later...

so, if you missed my CL thread, heres what i got from a guy last night...im just gonna copy/paste from another forum im on since im too lazy to type up another one.

well, pretty much stole a bike from this guy last night. found a 2012 cannondale supersix 3 (full carbon, ultegra components) on CL. listed for $2500 (maybe a hair high, but about what i'd expect to see it at). had some other stuff with it i didnt need. went back and forth, asked him what his bottom dollar was for just the bike, he said $1500. i figure if he's willing to drop that low, i might be able to get him to go even less. i told him i had $1200, told him i had a couple things i could put in for trade, he wasn't interested, just in cash.

so its screaming out scam to me. the bike new is $2800-3000, he's had it only this year, but he says he has receipts, and he'd do $1200 if i could come get it today. it was a 2+ hour drive, and i told him if it seemed fishy, i'd skate and take the $40 hit on gas it took me vs $1200...but i got there, bike checks out, serial number still there, so no worries about it being scratched off (i would've walked), he did have the receipt, owners manual, both matched the bike, receipt showed it was bought in april for like $2700 on sale. guy definitely didn't seem like a cyclist, said his dad bought it for him for his grades in school, said he rode it around town, but less than 100 miles on it (and it looks like it). honestly seemed like he may have been on drugs (he did ask me if i had any "indoor gardening equipment" for trade. LOL) one chip in the paint on the top tube thats about the size of a pencil eraser, but i think i can clean it up with some black nail polish. best part? he told me it was a 56, which is what my aluminum bike is, and i still feel a little stretched out (still sitting forward on the saddle, and even with a new 0 offset seatpost, cant move it forward anymore), so i wanted to move to a 54 this year...i figure easier to put on a longer stem if needed, than try to shrink a frame 2cm...i get there, it IS a 54cm. WIN.

2012 supersix (full carbon)

BB30

ultegra 6700 shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, cassette, chain

FSA SL-K light compact crank

it had Tektro brakes, but the groupset i picked up a few weeks ago (ultegra 6700), i swapped the brakes last night for the 6700's

Sram S27AL wheels. not great wheels, but they'll do for now. eventually i'll bump up to some Ksyrium SLR or similar.

Cheap platform pedals are getting pulled, as are the stupid red and white tires (which sucks, because the red is a gp4000s, which i like, but the white is a crappy conti ultrasport, which i had TONS of flats with this year before upgrading)

He left on a cheapo bontrager cyclometer, but i'll swap my garmin 500 stuff over to this.

Bike is, per my bathroom scale, a few pounds lighter than my aluminum CAAD8, but i'll try to get an accurate weight later. its probably right around 15lbs or so. i know the frame is right around 1000-1050g from what i've read online

pics!

her first ride on the roof rack

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3776.jpg

full bike

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3783.jpg

front brake

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3781.jpg

rear brake

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3782.jpg

shifters

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3786.jpg

Supersix!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3787.jpg

SL-K crank

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3785.jpg

Rear derailleur, 11-25 cassette

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3784.jpg

S27AL wheels

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3788.jpg

Idk. you may be right. I dont have anything except my bathroom scale to go off of. Think my LBS would have a scale i could get an accurate idea with? I took a 15lb dumbell i had, the scale was pretty spot on weighing that. I then balanced the bike on the rear wheel and its right between the 15/16 hash marks. Either way, its gonna be much better than my CAAD8, and for that price, i cant complain.

Also, since youre in this thread, when i switched the brakes, the silver "cap" on the brake cable housing doesnt fit into the screw on the ultegra brakes like it did on the tektro. Its just sitting on top and easy to move. Front and rear. Is this something that a) i can pick up at a LBS? Is there different diameters/sizes? and b) if i cant find it locally, should i have any issues riding it as is? Picture below how it just kind of sits on top vs sitting down inside

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG3793.jpg

i ride mountain, when i have a bike to borrow :gabe:

i enjoy it, even though i only went out 3 times this year.

i'd almost be willing to trade my aluminum road bike for a half decent MTB, but i've been spoiled in that my buddies wife works for trek, so i'll ive ridden is their best demo bikes (superfly 100's, etc), and i know nothing i can get out of my road bike will compare to those FS bikes i've ridden.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice score. I would bet with those components and wheels it is closer to 17-18lbs.

you win. i remembered i had a fish scale in my garage with a hook that fits perfectly on the wheel...

weighed with the following -

pedals - crank brothers candy (eggbeaters)

a ksyrium elite rear wheel and a junk performance bike tire to burn up on my trainer

trainer skewer

garmin stuff (wheel magnet, speed/cadence sensor, stem mount)

12-27 cassette (vs 11-25 that came with it)

2 water bottle cages.

it came in at just a hair under the 17.5lb mark. im too lazy to completely strip it down to stock form see what its at, but i doubt if id even see a pound. i know the pedals aren't light, but i dont think they're that heavy. im hoping to get some SPD-SL's for christmas. ultegra would be nice, but im sure if i get any, they'll be 105's... we shall see.

but last week on our ride, damn it was smooth. such a better ride than the CAAD.