2012 Road Cycling thread

evan9381

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/78049986

Awesome route today with a guy from work. Had a group of 6 of us riding, which was pretty awesome (only done 3 person max group rides prior). Had a little bit of misting rain coming into Johnstown, and it was a bit chilly, but overall it was a great ride.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here do TOSRV? i think i've seen it mentioned. Its 7 weeks from this past saturday, and looking at some maps, it looks to be mainly flat/slightly downhill. i think normally i'd be a little iffy on riding a century this early, but a flat/downhill ride wouldnt be so bad. i've just heard it tends to rain most of the times they have the ride.

think i'm gonna plan to ride it, and sign up just a few days before it so i can see what the weather forecast looks like. dont want to pay $67 to sign up and then it be super shitty weather for the whole ride.

CR TOSRV? http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/33596344 (elevation map at bottom)

Anyone here do TOSRV? i think i've seen it mentioned. Its 7 weeks from this past saturday, and looking at some maps, it looks to be mainly flat/slightly downhill. i think normally i'd be a little iffy on riding a century this early, but a flat/downhill ride wouldnt be so bad. i've just heard it tends to rain most of the times they have the ride.

think i'm gonna plan to ride it, and sign up just a few days before it so i can see what the weather forecast looks like. dont want to pay $67 to sign up and then it be super shitty weather for the whole ride.

CR TOSRV? http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/33596344 (elevation map at bottom)

yea, TOSRV is a great time but it has NOTORIOUSLY bad weather.

I skipped last year and i dont think ill go this year due to a previous engagement.

dont pay to ride. I 100% support Columbus Outdoor Pursuits but i(and the group we ride with) do our own thing. If you are planning on riding it with less than 3 people paying the fee is worth it. They cart your clothes and shit down and back for you and you can ride the sag wag if your labia starts to hurt.. plus they have pit stops you get snacks and water at on the way( or you can just stop at the gas stations like everyone else).

We've got an older guy who drives all our shit (and his car) down to a hotel in Waverly and leaves it there on like Thursday. We leave as a group Sat AM and the old man stops at Waverly. He will then drive back, with all our shit, on Sunday. We will pick up a pair of sandles(to walk around in at Portsmouth) from our gear in Waverly and continue on. Once there we eat, drink some beer, maybe get a massage and chill for a bit and then hop back on and ride the 25 miles back to Waverly for the night.

it makes for a longer Saturday but a nice and short Sunday(which tends to have the wind in your face).

Its all about getting a very early start..like on the saddle by 630.

Alliterative if you cant commit an entire weekend, just south of Circleville is a good place to turn around and shoot back up to Columbus on 104.

Or you can be a stud and ride up and back in 1 day.:no:

yea, TOSRV is a great time but it has NOTORIOUSLY bad weather.

I skipped last year and i dont think ill go this year due to a previous engagement.

dont pay to ride. I 100% support Columbus Outdoor Pursuits but i(and the group we ride with) do our own thing. If you are planning on riding it with less than 3 people paying the fee is worth it. They cart your clothes and shit down and back for you and you can ride the sag wag if your labia starts to hurt.. plus they have pit stops you get snacks and water at on the way( or you can just stop at the gas stations like everyone else).

We've got an older guy who drives all our shit (and his car) down to a hotel in Waverly and leaves it there on like Thursday. We leave as a group Sat AM and the old man stops at Waverly. He will then drive back, with all our shit, on Sunday. We will pick up a pair of sandles(to walk around in at Portsmouth) from our gear in Waverly and continue on. Once there we eat, drink some beer, maybe get a massage and chill for a bit and then hop back on and ride the 25 miles back to Waverly for the night.

it makes for a longer Saturday but a nice and short Sunday(which tends to have the wind in your face).

Its all about getting a very early start..like on the saddle by 630.

Alliterative if you cant commit an entire weekend, just south of Circleville is a good place to turn around and shoot back up to Columbus on 104.

Or you can be a stud and ride up and back in 1 day.:no:

Might see about joining up with you guys if thats cool? Looking at it, thought i could sign up few days before, but it looks like gotta register by 4/15, and im not gonna ride if its shitty, would be more so if i lose $67 because of it. Might have a few guys from work i rode w/ yesterday be interested as well.

I just sold my bike Saturday with same components, 60-61cm, for $500. Honestly though, the guy was a bit of a sucker...I listed it high as shit expecting lowball CL offers, dropped it periodically until I got a bite at $550, and he offered me $500.

I paid $325 for it 2 years ago

:dumb:

I probably wouldnt go more than $400 on that bike, if that. it might be a hair small for you. I'm 5'11 and ride a 56cm. If nothing else, you could get a longer stem and raise the seatpost and make it fit you. just depends on how serious you plan to ride. I rode a 60-61cm for 2 years, I made it work, but it wasn't my ideal fit.

Bare with me, I'm new fairly new to this, but if I were to ride a slightly smaller bike with a longer stem and higher seat, I'm assuming that it could be uncomfortable as opposed to a correct fit?

it just depends how serious you're gonna be. my old bike was 4-5cm too big for me, and I didnt find it "uncomfortable", i just didnt find it best fit to me. I had some extra $ and pulled the trigger on a new bike. you can buy a taller/longer stem so your hands are reached out a bit further.

Might see about joining up with you guys if thats cool? Looking at it, thought i could sign up few days before, but it looks like gotta register by 4/15, and im not gonna ride if its shitty, would be more so if i lose $67 because of it. Might have a few guys from work i rode w/ yesterday be interested as well.

For sure, more people in a line the better. Plus it allows for riders of different speed and fitness to ride together.

I'm 5'11 and ride a 56cm. If nothing else, you could get a longer stem and raise the seatpost and make it fit you. just depends on how serious you plan to ride. I rode a 60-61cm for 2 years, I made it work, but it wasn't my ideal fit.

56 is a smaller bike fir a guy as big as you. I'm on a smaller bike and im 6'2 33-34" in seam and ride a 60.

Its all about you fit on each bike. Manufacture, torso, inseam, seat post, seat position, handle bar stem, all that plays in.

1st into a bike shop and have them fit you on a bike. try different bike manufactures regardless of price and then try common manufactured. look for bikes in that size range. If you then find a bike of a private seller, take the bike in to a shop and have it fitted and inspected before you pull the trigger.

Forget carbon fiber, expensive group sets and nice wheels...if you dont fit on your bike properly...you aint got shit.

56 is a smaller bike fir a guy as big as you. I'm on a smaller bike and im 6'2 33-34" in seam and ride a 60.

Its all about you fit on each bike. Manufacture, torso, inseam, seat post, seat position, handle bar stem, all that plays in.

1st into a bike shop and have them fit you on a bike. try different bike manufactures regardless of price and then try common manufactured. look for bikes in that size range. If you then find a bike of a private seller, take the bike in to a shop and have it fitted and inspected before you pull the trigger.

Forget carbon fiber, expensive group sets and nice wheels...if you dont fit on your bike properly...you aint got shit.

Idk...the 56 fit me pretty spot on. I think in FL i rented a 58 (felt bigger than my 56...GT brand "large"...idk what the equivalent is) and it felt a hair too big. I will say though, the new bike is a world of difference. Even if its an entry level bike, its more than i need and is awesome. Idk what id do with a CF frame, ultegra or higher components. That weight difference would be insane to me. Coming from a 22# bike to 16# was sweet enough.

Idk...the 56 fit me pretty spot on. I think in FL i rented a 58 (felt bigger than my 56...GT brand "large"...idk what the equivalent is) and it felt a hair too big. I will say though, the new bike is a world of difference. Even if its an entry level bike, its more than i need and is awesome. Idk what id do with a CF frame, ultegra or higher components. That weight difference would be insane to me. Coming from a 22# bike to 16# was sweet enough.

I am 6'2 and 32-34 inseam, 185 lbs, and ride a 56 and love it. I love how I can flick the bike around at will. I usually avg 20 mph on flat ground and 16-18 over a 20 mile ride around town, higher on the paths. Although I have rode a 56 for like 15 years, (I am 30) so I am really used to it. I think its more what "feels" right for you.

meh, its all personal. Only issue i really have is my left hand goes numb every now and then...i need a longer stem to stretch out just a bit more.

Christopher here goes over some good points.

I'm sure you could call the 1800 number at the end of the video and he could S your D too

Cracked under 1hr on my 17.4 mile route tonight, 58:09. Im happy with that. Now to be able to hold that kind of average or higher for more than an hour.

I push every day for a better 10 mile time, its just so hard in the city with lights and stop signs, even though I rarely stop, just slow down till it changes green it kills the momentum, my best is right at 30.38 though I know if I did it on a flat track no stops I could get it down to 27-28 min.