no front license plate?

AWW$HEEET

While the guy's on the ground he calls in on his little shoulder radio thing with the license plate to see if the guy has a registered firearm or something.?

Just because I'm driving the car doesn't mean the car is registered to me.

then it's a time-saver.

I've had lots of tickets inmy day and NEVER has the officer been interested in saving time.

Otherwise he needs to cuff the guy and move him to the rear of the car. Or search the suspect for a wallet.

If they cuff the driver, they will put him in the police car, of which is most always parked behind the rear of the car where they can just as easily read the rear plate.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you're saying, I just don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should have front plates. I'm just saying there's no compelling reason to get rid of them (from the state's perspective), and as long as cops can say "In theory it might be useful," that's going to stick around. Even if, in practice, they never use it.

I think we agree on this, but I view the situation as hopeless. FTR, I put a front plate on my Mazda even though I didn't really want to, but I'm not going to bother with the Integra because I only drive it 2,000 miles a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should have front plates. I'm just saying there's no compelling reason to get rid of them (from the state's perspective), and as long as cops can say "In theory it might be useful," that's going to stick around. Even if, in practice, they never use it.

You could have saved me a lot of keystrokes if you had just said this initially.

BMV should allow for a "no front plate" option. Kind of like a vanity plate: you pay more for the luxury of not running a front plate and then get a little sticker (or whatever) that you put on the rear plate to show that you don't require a front plate. Everybody wins.

Also, another thought about why police don't need front plates: some states don't require front plates, and no one is clamoring in those states about the unsolved crime epidemics.

I dont run a front plate on my SRT jeep or my 2011 grand cherokee..

Been pulled over once by GPD... But they pull you over for anything.. He pulled me over on 270, during rush hour.. to complain about my front plate.. I told him he must have been pretty bored..

GPD has been pretty good to me, but they are some scheisters. i was leaving the bmv after ordering some plates for my bmw. 10 mins later they pulled me over on stygler road for expired plates. still got a ticket for like $95, even though i showed her a time stamped receipt that i was JUST there and just bought new ones that needed to be ordered first.

stupid cunt. for that reason, i will forever vote against city levies. did today too.

I remember reading somewhere that if we went to a rear plate only state it would save the state over 2 million a year in production costs of the front plates. That alone should be reason enough.

I read the same thing. But in the same story it also stated that the money coming in from tickets due to no front plates was double.

So it costs money but they make it back and then some.

BMV should allow for a "no front plate" option. Kind of like a vanity plate: you pay more for the luxury of not running a front plate and then get a little sticker (or whatever) that you put on the rear plate to show that you don't require a front plate. Everybody wins.

Also, another thought about why police don't need front plates: some states don't require front plates, and no one is clamoring in those states about the unsolved crime epidemics.

This is Ohio...

LOGIC LOL DIAF

Personalized plates are $50-$100/yr. Have no-front-plate be $50 a year. State Gov't/BMV/Police will SAVE MONEY by not having to handle/issue physical metal plates, yet still MAKE MONEY off of the annuity of NFP registrants and still being able to ticket for no front plate if the car's registration doesn't have the paid-for provision. Aaaaaaand us all-important automotive enthusiasts can kwitcherbitchin...

This is Ohio...

LOGIC LOL DIAF

Personalized plates are $50-$100/yr. Have no-front-plate be $50 a year. State Gov't/BMV/Police will SAVE MONEY by not having to handle/issue physical metal plates, yet still MAKE MONEY off of the annuity of NFP registrants and still being able to ticket for no front plate if the car's registration doesn't have the paid-for provision. Aaaaaaand us all-important automotive enthusiasts can kwitcherbitchin...

Aaaaaaand they can still ticket (read: TAKE MONEY FROM) people who don't run a front plate, but don't have authorization to do so.

So, let's recap:

- Vanity no-plate registration fee = $$$$

- Not having to produce front plates = $$$$

- Being able to still ticket people that don't run front plates = $$$$

$$$$ + $$$$ + $$$$ + Ohio = TERRIBLE IDEA

Just got a ticket a couple of days ago on 33 near groveport. First day I have had my car out of the garage since I put it away for the winter. Officer was a prick as usual, threatening to impound my car because I didnt have a front plate. He said " I bet you dont have the plate mounted cause you think it looks pretty without it. I said well yea why else would i not want it on there. He proceeded to tell me he didnt like my red corvette. typical....

If they want you pulled over they'll find a reason.

This.

I've got the front plate in the windsheild of my Miata, and if there wasn't holes under my Camaro's front plate it wouldn't be on there. I typically don't do things to my cars that could get me pulled over just to try and avoid the hassle, but I'm not drilling holes in my Miata's bumper and I'm thinking of having the ones fixed in the Camaro.

Here is a question...in OH can you be pulled over solely for not having a front plate?

Yes sir. I got pulled over on SR 158 for no front plate. The officer said since I was being so cooperative the he will give me a warning on the front plate. He then issued me a "repair order" to have my window tint removed/redone to legal. (my tint registered to 2%) I figured screw it, the tint needed redone any how so I just simply removed it. Will be going back to 20% tint.