Exhaust gasket needed?

zeitgeist57

Guys, for my FOrd 4.9L six (300ci)...do these ball-type exhaust flanges need any sort of gasket, or do they cinch right down on the rounded exhaust manifold? Could I use hi-temp RTV sealant to ensure a seal? Thanks!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5918

Guys, for my FOrd 4.9L six (300ci)...do these ball-type exhaust flanges need any sort of gasket, or do they cinch right down on the rounded exhaust manifold? Could I use hi-temp RTV sealant to ensure a seal? Thanks!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=669&pictureid=5918

Those ball and cup flanges don't need a gasket or sealer. Make sure that you have the whole exhaust lined up before you tighten it down.

My IROC had identical flanges, and they use gaskets.

My Corvette had flanges similar to the pic above, and used a donut gasket. It was still a shitty seal.

In addition, the stock cast-iron manifold for my carb'd I6 had a flat flange, with a groove that accepted the donut gasket.

These EFI manifolds look like they will seal just fine, provided the pipes aren't bent at the mating surface!

My Corvette had flanges similar to the pic above, and used a donut gasket. It was still a shitty seal.

In addition, the stock cast-iron manifold for my carb'd I6 had a flat flange, with a groove that accepted the donut gasket.

These EFI manifolds look like they will seal just fine, provided the pipes aren't bent at the mating surface!

Yeah, the IROC has MAC headers and full exhaust on it, and thats exactly how they are. The flange is welded on not a pressed flange. So the pipe and the flange have a gap where the donut sits.

And now that I look at that picture again... No gasket required.