help needed 99saab

wnaplay1647545503

I believe this is a 9-3, I can verify if it matters. Car wouldnt start, owner replaced some sort of bracket I believe to hold the belt tighter, fuel pump and starter. Sorry no other details. Owner went out to start one day after replacing parts and it wouldnt start again and now after I what I believe was repeated attempts, the new starter just whines and doesnt sount like its trying to engage, just sounds like a high pitched shaft spinning.

1. is the new starter hosed and thats the sound I am getting from that?

2. what should I look for after getting the starter issue addressed?

I am almost 110% sure the starter was not the cause of the starting issue and is now a secondary issue.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. The guy who put it in has very little mechanical ability. I do know that it did run for a few weeks before the issues started up so I know the installation of the starter was decent enough for it to work. I know when it wouldnt start a few weeks after the initial repairs he just kept cranking and cranking, thats when the starter began its noise, not immediately after install.

Replaced the starter, the old/new one appeared to be defective. It started by idled like hell. Got ahold of the owner and he stated its always ran/idled like shit and he keeps throwing parts at it trying to fix it. He stated its been to several backyard mechanics that are the ones suggesting the parts. So far the fuel pump and filter has been changed, new plugs a few months back, new air filter. I am just trying to help the guy out and not charging him anything. Does anyone think scanning the codes might tell me anything?

well maybe it really needed shimmed and wasn't and now the teeth are broken off of the starter gear?

Or the teeth on the flywheel have been chewed off. One or the other is the most likely case.

Edit: you got it to start? then had issues with the starter freewheeling later on?

I know when it wouldnt start a few weeks after the initial repairs he just kept cranking and cranking, thats when the starter began its noise, not immediately after install.

He probably mangled the flywheel.

The starter shaft was spinning on the new starter but the gear wasnt spinning with the shaft(tested at the store). Put the new one in(replacement) after having it tested at the store to verify it was working and it started up just fine but idled/ran super rough. Checked the plugs to see if something may be wrong there but didnt find anything that jumped out at me. Called the owner to see if its always ran rough and he stated yes it has and he keeps throwing parts at it to fix it. I did make a quick pass over the vacuum lines but didnt see anything that jumped out at me there either. He also told me someone made an attempt at cleaning the throttlebody in an effort as well but did nothing. Should codes state anything?

I didnt replace the original starter to see if by chance it already had shims. The new starter doesnt grind or anything and I dont know how to tell if it would need shimmed or not.

Just took it out for a drive as I never actually drove it and it falls flat on its face. Sputtering all through acceleration. It did accelerate but barely and really slowly.

Had similar symptoms with a bad maf sensor, does it like "hiccup" n shit?

possible he jumped time? sometimes if its off by one tooth the car will still run, just like shit though. maybe also try checking compression. is it a turbo model? maybe the turbo is shot and its getting too much fuel vs. air. idk for sure, just throwing out some ideas of where to look.

Anyway to test or do some sort of maintenance on a crankshaft position sensor?

Most likely, however there's a good chance you will need to reference alldata/mitchell/factory service manual in order to get the correct good/no-good values.

Personally I wouldn't touch that car without a factory service manual.

I will try to test the ohms and voltage on it tomorrow and scan for codes. The CPS being bad seems to meet alot of the issues this thing seems to have including not wanting to restart when hot. I know it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and replace it but unsure if it will fix the the idling and acceleration issues. The vacuum lines all appear in place but they are really dryrotted.

If you can find them cheap I strongly suggest picking up a set of factory service manuals, it will make diagnostics infinitely easier and probably save you a great deal of money. Throwing more parts at it is just a recipe for a headache.