possible project boat - need input.

stealthmonkey

Hey everyone. I have always wanted to get a boat for the summers up here. My uncle sent this to me from up north. I am curious what this might mean and if you all have any better ideas what this could take to repair. Could one of you shed some light on this.

So basically it needs an engine and outdrive? Also do you know if the Rinker 1992 could be outfitted for a v6 4.3 merc instead of the 4cyl? I am a die hard slalom skier and i dont think a 4cyc would hack it. So your input is needed. Thanks

1992 RINKER PROJECT BOAT

SELLING GREAT PROJECT BOAT IF YOU HAVE A BOAT WITH BAD STRINGERS OR TRANSOM THIS IS A GREAT PROJECT YOU WILL NEED A MERCRUISER 4CYLINDER IRON DUKE, TRIM PUMP,TRANSOM, OUTDRIVE, AND A LITTLE TIME YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT BOAT CHEAP COMES WITH TRAILER CALL

Edited by stealthmonkey

I don't know about the 4cyl to v6 conversion, but i will say that if you can get that boat for about $200-300 then its worth it, otherwise run away. I bought a boat that needed a motor and i had 1k just in getting that done (did the labor myself), and you will have to do an outdrive on top of that which will probably be another grand for one in decent shape. then you will be left with a 1992 boat that you have $2500 wrapped up in and you will never get that money back out of it.

I would never touch a boat with a bad transom. I know someone that picked up a few decent boats for nothing and both had transom problems (rotten out). Every shop quoted a fortune to fix and said it wasn't worth doing. They were both fiberglass boats if that matters.

Might be okay for parts?

Say If i find a 4cy and alpha mercruiser combo for like 1k. that would be decent right? So here is my question from what the guy said in the AD it just needs a motor and outdrive? Would a 4cy be enough to pull a slalom, wakeboard, etc..? )

I have basic mechanical repair skills like pulling a motor and replacing head gaskets etc.. is this something that i could do myself with some basic car tools and an air compressor? this sounds like something i might want to get into for the fact that this would be something fun to work on for the next couple of weeks and have it ready for summer.

not to sound like a newb but whats a transom? isnt that the back of the boat?

The back of the boat where the motor hooks on. If your transom is rotten out (on fiberglass boats it will look fine because the wood is inside) you can break your boat which would be pretty bad on the water. It's not like you can bolt a sheet of plywood to it and fix it. Well, not exactly anyway

I would never touch a boat with a bad transom. I know someone that picked up a few decent boats for nothing and both had transom problems (rotten out). Every shop quoted a fortune to fix and said it wasn't worth doing. They were both fiberglass boats if that matters.

Might be okay for parts?

when i got my boat it was rotted out for sure. Had to cut the main runners of the boat and replaced them with treated 4x6's and then fiber glassed it all back into place and then put new flooring down cause we had to cut the back half of the floor off to get all the rot out. Definitely a learning experience but not worth the hassle.

OP: if you can get that combo for 1k then yea it might be worth it, and a 4cyl would be able do go about 30mph so you could probably ski/tube/whatever you wanted behind it.

in the ad he mentions if you have a bad boat (stringers or transom) then this would be a good fit. The boat look likes its in good shape. It is couple hours north of detroit i dont want to drive up there and not plan on getting into something thats more than a motor and outdrive. He is asking 400. So i think its worth it. But I cant remember sking behind a boat that is a 120hp 4cy. I am looking at the practicality of not getting dragged through the lake. lol. that is why I mentioned dropping a 3.0l or 4.3l