junkyarding/emergency toolbox

copperhead

I'm wanting to piece together a smallish toolbox I can leave in the trunk for emergencies and be able to carry around junkyards. I'm not sure what would be worthwhile tools and what is just unneeded weight. Hauling 50 lbs of tools I don't need around a junkyard just doesn't appeal to me. So what I'm looking for is opinions on what to include and what not to. For example, do I go with a set of 1/2" drive sockets and 1/4" drive, or just compromise and go with 3/8"? Do I include a breaker bar if I go with 1/2"? Do I really need a wrench set if I have sockets? Things like that.

What do you want to do with it like size of junkyard projects? My first thought is if you work on cars you shouldn't need to ask this question then the helpful side of my says wait and buy a set when Sears has their sale and it should have all the basic stuff you need for the job at a junkyard

I'm wanting to piece together a smallish toolbox I can leave in the trunk for emergencies and be able to carry around junkyards. I'm not sure what would be worthwhile tools and what is just unneeded weight. Hauling 50 lbs of tools I don't need around a junkyard just doesn't appeal to me. So what I'm looking for is opinions on what to include and what not to. For example, do I go with a set of 1/2" drive sockets and 1/4" drive, or just compromise and go with 3/8"? Do I include a breaker bar if I go with 1/2"? Do I really need a wrench set if I have sockets? Things like that.

No matter what you have in the bag, you'll frequently find you don't have a tool that you need.

I'd say 3/8 sockets/wrench/extensions/swivels/1/2" adapter/1/2" breaker bar, Channel locks, Vise grips (regular and needle nose), Crescent wrenches, PB blaster........

An 8" flat tip screwdriver

An 8" Phillip's head #2

Side cutters

10" curved vise grips

10" channel lock pliers

6" Needle nose

10" 3/8" ratchet

3/8" swivel socket

Basic 3/8" sockets (3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm,

18mm, 19mm)

1/2"-3/8" adapter

1/2" breaker bar

Basic Allen wrench set

Basic Torx set

3/8" 6", (2)3", 1" extensions.

Then if you're doing anything that requires special or different tools toss them in for that trip. When I go to the yard I always go in and look around first to see if they have what I'm looking for. If they do, then I go back out and get only what tools I need plus my side cuts and vise grips. You can dismantle an entire car with side cuts, vise grips and some time.

I always take a heavy duty tool bag with shoulder strap easy to carry around, tools I take are basic 3/8 metric socket set 10-19mm basic 8-14mm 1/4 socket set, the only 1/2" sockets needed always seem to be 17, 19, and 21, extensions for sockets, a 24" 1/2drive ratchet(my substitute for a breaker bar), 3/8 ratchet, 1/4 ratchet, 3/8 6 piece allen socket set and 6 piece torx socket set, #2 and #3 phillips screwdrivers, large flat head screwdriver for prying purposes and a smaller one for smaller items and interior prying, 32oz hammer, wire cutters, basic pliers, needle nose pliers, standerd size channel locks and a 1/2" cordless impact with reducer. all that fits into to the bag I carry without any issues or pain to carry around Edited by SinisterSS

Hammer and box cutter too.

zip ties and vice grips

/thread

A torch is all you need.

Harbor Freight Sawzall with battery pack. I just got their circular in the mail and this month is their fire sale...

Hammer, vice grips and long flathead/

Are you guys fucking special? WTF are you going to do with a box cutter? A torch doesn't fit in a small tool box, and vice grips are great but they are not a fix all.

Why do you even bother posting? Op wants to know if people have any decent input and guys spout off some random worthless bullshit. Why don't you morons take your fuel lines loose with the vise grips and cut it off with the torch. :dumb:

Are you guys fucking special? WTF are you going to do with a box cutter? A torch doesn't fit in a small tool box, and vice grips are great but they are not a fix all.

Why do you even bother posting? Op wants to know if people have any decent input and guys spout off some random worthless bullshit. Why don't you morons take your fuel lines loose with the vise grips and cut it off with the torch. :dumb:

Vice grips and a cutting device are always in my box, cant tell you how many times i wound up fucked because i forgot one or the other, especially a cutting device.

Thanks guys, there's some good info here, its got me thinking

My inspiration behind this is the gf and I are both driving beaters for the next couple years while trying to secure our financial future, so I'd like to be able to stop by pick n pull after work here and there to try and find random parts we need, so it would be nice to always have a box ready to go

Just go with a 1/2 drive ratchet and breaker bar. Use an adapter for sockets with a 3/8 or 1/4 drive, adapters weigh less than ratchets. Flippy head Gear-Wrenches are awesome, use those instead of regular open-ends.

Take a couple baggies for small screws and fiddly bits. Or all the loose change you can gather...I may not have found the part I was after every time I've gone to the PnP, but I've always covered the admission charge!

So it sounds like a 1/2" breaker bar is a necessity. Beyond that, there's differing opinions between what drive sockets to use but adapters are worth using. I don't see the point in carrying 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" for everything, but some people seem to go with strictly 3/8" and some are saying everything. I'm still not sure which way I would go with that.

When I get the time I'm going to start making a list stuff from Harbor Freight. The other concern is that since this will be a trunk kit, I don't want to spend so much that I'll be upset if shit gets lost/broken/stolen, and since I won't be using it nearly as often as my garage tools I won't be so concerned that they be nice quality.

In other news, I noticed you can get a lot of Snap-On tools from Amazon. Other than that and Ebay, do they or MAC or any of the other high end tool makers that are normally just sold off trucks sold in any other venue where non-professionals such as myself could pick them up, and still be able to make warranty claims if need be?

So how about this: a 1/2" breaker bar, and a 3/8" ratchet. Adapters to make everything work. 1/4" drive sockets up to say 10mm, then 12mm through 18mm in 3/8", then anything larger 1/2" drive, and toss in a couple extensions of each drive. The SAE size sockets will be similar. This way I'm covered for every job, without carrying multiples of each size. If something is too big of a job for a 3/8 ratchet, well that's why I've got the breaker bar. I shouldn't run into something where I'll NEED a 1/4" ratchet so long as I have enough extensions to be out of the way.

Most of the time when I head to the junkyard it is to buy smaller parts that have broken on one of the many 15+ year old, 200K+ mile vehicles in our home fleet. For 90% of the trips, I have a very cheap, made in China set that includes 3/8" and 1/4" drive metric and SAE sockets, a two crescent wrenches, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, knife, and a combination screwdriver and metric and standard combination and hex head wrenches. Probably has a few other things. It came with its own fitted carrying case.

It was a $25 set ("Apollo" brand), and even though it was an el-cheapo set, it has worked well. Of course with cheap tools, you have to be somewhat gentle with them. You can't just put brute force on the sockets and such as they will break.

I also keep a can of WD40 with this set. Comes in handy...

Surprisingly, this has worked out really well. I rarely am without a tool I need. The best thing is that since it is in its own case, it is easy to carry as I move around the yard. If I know I am going to be going after some heavier parts, I will also pack a few other things. But, with the set I have I just keep it in the truck all the time.

If I were to do it again and didn't want to spend a ton of money, I would look for a set of better quality, maybe what they sell at some of the auto parts stores.

Just look at your car and figure what you would need most commonly to fix or dismantle it.

Taking it a step further take like 10min and note down anything that could possibly need replacement. Not necc. mechanical parts but interior parts too. Started doing this years ago after I went to get a compressor for the Eldorado and happened upon a flawless matching interior set. You name it I got it, like an easy $700+ worth of parts for like $150. :lolguy: