R.I.P. Post Office

zeitgeist57

So I had to return a ring, in a padded envelope or bawkx. I went a little too early this morning, and the post office desk was closed. However, there was a nice display for the "flat rate" boxes. I grabbed one that would fit the ring and packaging perfectly, and went to the APC (auto postal) machine.

After hitting a few commands, I got a quick shipment back to NJ on monday for $5.35. Box included. :thumbup:

I left thinking that the retail model for the post office is nearly dead now. I can go into a post office 24hrs a day to send letters, but now - as long as the boxes and envelopes are available - I can ship anything.

The only thing I see is large boxes or oversized packages...for security handling, it still seems like you need to give it to a postal worker.

is this the first time you've ever used this system? hell, I've not gone to the desk at the post office off 161/Nicholas Drive for years. They've had this automated system down pat since 2005 or before as that's all I've ever used.

In reality I rarely ever initiate a postal transaction any more. Even boxes as I usually ship those from work via UPS.

no offense but I will not send something via USPS unless I never want to see it again. they have lost so much stuff I have sent and their response is always sorry nothing we can do for you.

Yeah don't send anything important through USPS. Their claims service is nonexistant. FedEx and UPS will actually pay out if they lose something. USPS is awesome for Alaska or Hawaii though, and you can ship small stuff internationally 1st class for dirt cheap comparatively... Really you can do all your postage online, print it out, then schedule a free USPS pickup at your house FTW.

no offense but I will not send something via USPS unless I never want to see it again. they have lost so much stuff I have sent and their response is always sorry nothing we can do for you.

I've sent thousands of dollars worth of stuff through USPS, hundreds of packages. Locally, Nationally, and Internationally. I haven't lost one thing. I probably send 10-15 packages a week.

Just sent a $900 package to Alberta on Tuesday. I buy a lot of inventory for a friend up there for his store. It's a lot cheaper for me to buy it in the US and then ship it to him.

The last time I was at the post office I was the only person in line. The lady came out from behind the counter, showed me the automatic shipper machine, and wouldn't stop talking about how great it was. I found it odd that she was that excited about the machine that was going to replace her.