The "Im still talking about D. Wiggs 4 years later" thread

D.Wiggs

Is it the location that is in question? Personally I don't see a negative to helping with scavenging. Look at the car, it's not like you have a ton of room under there. Where would you put it?

moving the location of hte x pipe will shift it's effect at peak VE(at a given rpm) based on pulse width modulation, but that is on a naturally aspirated setup. N/A utilizes exhaust velocity (with tools like scavenging), whereas turbo applications utilize backpressure changes in the exhaust. Which is where D Wiggs was thinking he was going with his x-pipe location/useage "theory" and the effet it would/wouldnt have on backpressure.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moving the location of hte x pipe will shift it's effect at peak VE(at a given rpm) based on pulse width modulation, but that is on a naturally aspirated setup. Post turbine wheel, that pulse is altered, based on the passing fequency of the blades, in essense, the turbine wheel 'buffers' the pulse.

The buffering came to mind. And thinking about it in my head I decided the the Turbine wheel would "smooth" out the exhaust flow.

I've shared it with the world on the build page.

UGR overcharges for a mediocre product. Their engineering is sub par and management is some of the worst ever, from an ethics standpoint. Did you know they work in a 35% upcharge just to give you a 2-year warranty? They make you pay UPFRONT so they can put the money in an escrow account to buy you a new motor when you blow it up. Also, you have to pay extra and wait 6 months if you want a build to have matching engine numbers. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

1) I would agree with you on the ethics comments if indeed the stories circulated around the car forums are true about UGR

2) They can charge whatever they want--thats the beauty of capitalism in america, and I am glad to see its still alive. You, of all people should understand this

3) You're calling their engineering mediocre (they currently make many of THE fastest cars around--period), yet you're regurgitating bullshit on this forum to people who are smarter than you think. Bullshit that has been spoon-fed to you by people who are trying to sell you a 'theoretical build', on an unproven platform. And we're the idiots?

So, on that note D. Wiggs, you got something to say? Bring it. You're out of your element, I promise you.

:masturboy:

I was curious to see how arrogant his response would be...

Got ignored. I suck at trolling.:yuno:

http://darkdiamond.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/unsuccessful-troll-thumb.jpg

Juiced, if it doesn't affect much, could UGR be using the X-pipe only to even out the sound/noise between the two sides? I'd imagine how the engine sounds is important to their customers.....

That is a main reason why its there.

Fuck the supra forum I wish D bag would talk crap like this on yellowbullet. The ass rape would be legendary

Get that party started! Link those savages over this way.

You have been spoon fed theoretical engineering and clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Switzer (and every Porsche tuner around the world) has been building short x piped exhaust systems for years with leading HP and ET/trap records over other designs.

Pay your team so they'll continue building your project. I look forward to whooping your ass with a poorly designed and overpriced POS.

Just like I said on page one, day one, whomever talked this tard into this build deserves a fucking RAISE. I am 100% sure he is regurgitating what the crack engineering team at IPS is telling him, and he is the only person that does not realize it's complete bullshit.

Let the hilarity continue...

That is a main reason why its there.

Get that party started! Link those savages over this way.

Just like I said on page one, day one, whomever talked this tard into this build deserves a fucking RAISE. I am 100% sure he is regurgitating what the crack engineering team at IPS is telling him, and he is the only person that does not realize it's complete bullshit.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/274/534/fce.jpg

question to anyone who can answer it, say you do have a twin turbo setup with an x-pipe, if one turbo fails does that then mean that all the cylinders on that bank dont produce enough pressure to keep the exhaust from the other side from coming over and producing a sonic boom? honestly though, does a turbo generate more exhaust pressure after the turbo than a n/a setup? if anything i would think it would cause a drop compaired to n/a because of the restriction in the exhaust. obviously if you had an x-pipe and one side wasnt creating as much pressure as the other side, unless the exhaust behind said x-pipe was way restrictive (read glue stick sized) then there is no reason the exhaust is going to make a 130*-140* turn back toward the engine against exhaust pressure from the other bank.

I didn't get much experience modeling flow post turbine, but did get a touch of experience working on modeling Pre TC catalyst emissions data.

Most engineering circles consider the turbine (or compressor) is the definite hard point for any sort of acoustics. I think the same 99.8% of engineers agree that while pulses may still exists, they are so out of phase, garbled together, their sum becomes kind of pointless post turbine as nothing is in phase -- there is no solid pressure peaks/waves and the negative pressure areas behind them.

Most turbos have a diffuser built into the exducer. If you've ever seen the flow mapped from a radial turbine, its going everywhere, at different velocities. The idea of "X"ing the banks intrigues me, although I would think it would only be acoustical in nature.

Has anyone asked UGR if they have any rhyme or reason to it? A string of pressure sensors with a quick logger would be neat to see.

^ completely agreed. The 'perfect' turbine exhaust would probably be a parabolic diverging nozzle, with a conical diverging nozzle at 7.5deg a better mfg solution. Which you will see built in to your exhaust housing to some degree. From that point aft, the only way I can see you having a notable negative impact is by choking the exhaust, building back pressure. And it would take a lot more than a well designed x-pipe to do that. And even then, unless you seriously restrict it, you're not going to cause engine problems, just lose the ability to maximize efficiency.

BTW, UGR is FAR from the first to utilize an x-pipe on a twin turbo application.

I think it's funny you bash IPS who has produced plenty of vehicles that are nothing to shake a stick at.

But I guess that means nothing.