Please don't buy the Mazdaspeed3...

zeitgeist57

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a love hate thing for me. Love in a sense that as my car sits, it will tear up the ST as it sits. I do like what Ford is doing lately and think they have one of the best line ups out there in their respective segments.

The ST has a nice interior and for a budget rocket, I do think the outside is styled well too, but I will say I'm quite disappointed that it isn't delivering at least 270-300hp from the factory. We'll see if Mazda counters with a boosted 2.5l version of the MS3. I don't know anything about what's around the corner though.

Until then, I'll enjoy my MS3 and its new found power.

According to VW's website, the GTI starts at $23,995. I believe that's the cheapest out of the 3 according to that article.

Perhaps but I've priced them and * > a $23,995 GTI. Nice cars but slow stock and pricey when equipped with comparable options. Ford is obviously going after the value point as it knows an aftermarket will follow and this could be a big hit for those looking to stay domestic and be different. I just wish my Fusion had the EcoBoost motor. It's quick now but would fly with a snail or two attached to it.

I've always loved the GTI, but I cannot wait to drive one of these bad boys. As long as it doesn't have the torque steer of the MS3, it may replace the GTI as my favorite hot hatch.

I'm interested in driving one as well.

I drove the fiesta at it's launch thinking that because it had "DSG" it would be less gay 40mph hatch. Sadly, it was not, Ford's DSG is shittier than some slushbox's I've driven.

It didn't help that the salesperson told me to "forget it's a ford and just enjoy the experience". I was experiencing cardiac arrest by end of the onramp I was only doing 50mph.

Perhaps but I've priced them and * > a $23,995 GTI. Nice cars but slow stock and pricey when equipped with comparable options. Ford is obviously going after the value point as it knows an aftermarket will follow and this could be a big hit for those looking to stay domestic and be different. I just wish my Fusion had the EcoBoost motor. It's quick now but would fly with a snail or two attached to it.

If you are looking for all out speed in a fwd hatch, you bought the wrong car. The gti is always in the fastest half of it class and has always been the best all around hot hatch. Expect this to continue. The new golf will be out the following year and is all new, not just a small refresh like the current car is. It dates back to 2006 in the states.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you're talking about FWD hatches.

The gti is as fast or faster than the awd wrx even with its 60hp deficit in most all competitions i have read. Straightine is different if you are concers with et times. What does a new wrx trap?

If you are looking for all out speed in a fwd hatch, you bought the wrong car. The gti is always in the fastest half of it class and has always been the best all around hot hatch. Expect this to continue. The new golf will be out the following year and is all new, not just a small refresh like the current car is. It dates back to 2006 in the states.

The gti is as fast or faster than the awd wrx even with its 60hp deficit in most all competitions i have read. Straightine is different if you are concers with et times. What does a new wrx trap?

101ish, depending on the year with a sub 5 second 0-60 being the real bragging point. I'm not knocking the GTI, they're definitely a great car. But stock for stock, as an all-around daily driven car, I'd take the WRX all day long. I can't believe the stability that AWD gives you in adverse conditions. I'll drive a family members, or my girlfriends, car in the rain and be caught off guard because I don't need to change my driving style in the WRX for much but the worst conditions.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to get for a daily for the past 4 months to replace the CRX. When I read that these were coming out this fall, I decided to wait until fall before I made up my mind about a daily. However, I'm not sure I want to drop $25K on an econobox. I was hoping they would be closer to $20K.

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to get for a daily for the past 4 months to replace the CRX. When I read that these were coming out this fall, I decided to wait until fall before I made up my mind about a daily. However, I'm not sure I want to drop $25K on an econobox. I was hoping they would be closer to $20K.

You havent priced new cars lately have you? Certainly nothing performance oriented at least.

Standard golf focus cruze impreza with decent options are in the low to mid 20s now. I think these basing for what they do (all sporty small cars) are amazing actually. Fantastic value.

Not to get into a GTI vs MS3 debate as that was not the intent of the OP but I have owned both and while the interior of my GTI was nicer the MS3 is a lot more fun to drive IMO. Also, to the VW fan bois where are you getting that the GTi is faster than an MS3? In every test I have read there is no comparison stock versus stock in any kind of race. Maybe I have not read the latest in VW Digest? ;-)

To the OP, as a lifelong GM fan boi, I gotta say Ford is doing some awesome stuff. I could definitely drive an ST. I remember reading somewhere it will not have a mechanical limited slip but will compensate with electronics. It will be interesting to see if that works. If they can conquer torque steer that would be great.

There is torque steer, bad torque steer, then MS3 torque steer.

In summary, FWD LOL