Has my home thermostat gone bad?

Turned the house AC on for the first time today and now that it's cooling off outside, I opened the windows, turned on the whole-house fan and turned off the AC. Only issue is, the AC unit is still blowing and I just realized while it was on, the house didn't really cool off all that much. I had to turn it off at the breaker to get the unit to stop blowing. I'm thinking the thermostat has gone bad, but am not sure.

Thoughts?

Turned the house AC on for the first time today and now that it's cooling off outside, I opened the windows, turned on the whole-house fan and turned off the AC. Only issue is, the AC unit is still blowing and I just realized while it was on, the house didn't really cool off all that much. I had to turn it off at the breaker to get the unit to stop blowing. I'm thinking the thermostat has gone bad, but am not sure.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a cooling problem and possibly a tstat problem. The fact that your house didn't cool while your ac was running makes it seem you have a refridgerant leak or got one over the winter and it slowly leaked out. Then after you tried turning the a/c off, the ac unit continued to run regardless of the tstat makes it seem you also got a tstat problem. I would shut all the windows and turn your ac unit back on and see if you feel cold air comming out of your vents. If you do then you can rule the ac unit problem out and move on to your tstat . Then turn your tstat temp up to a high degree and see if your ac doesn't end up shutting off. If it doesn't. Then tstat problem

Are you saying the outside condenser fan is still running or the blower on the AC/furnace inside the house? If it's the latter of the two, check your thermostat for a switch that controls just the blower and make sure it's in the auto position and not the on position. If it's in the ON position the blower fan will continue to run.

Are you saying the outside condenser fan is still running or the blower on the AC/furnace inside the house? If it's the latter of the two, check your thermostat for a switch that controls just the blower and make sure it's in the auto position and not the on position. If it's in the ON position the blower fan will continue to run.

+1

Most AC's need an annual spring-tuneup. Are you an AEP customer?

Shit,

I ran into this same situation last night. The air coming out of the vents is slightly cool, but was still warmer than ambient temperatures outside. The blower also stayed on the entire night while being on auto.

shit sucks

Guest Hal
Maybe a dumb question, but is the filter clean? A dirty filter can cause the coil to ice over, making the AC run constantly without actually being able to cool the air.

Maybe a dumb question, but is the filter clean? A dirty filter can cause the coil to ice over, making the AC run constantly without actually being able to cool the air.

If the system is low on refrigerant the coil will ice up with a quickness as well. If you ever hear the AC running but the airflow from the vents is weak or nonexistant, shut it off and look for icing.

I had the same issue this year. The AC would shut off but the blower motor kept going.

Hvac friend Said to leave it run and tap the relays on the circuit board with a screw driver.

Sure enough a couple light taps and it shut down.

I really haven't had an issue with it since. But my guess is when it comes back ill need a new circuit board as the relays are not replaceable.

I also removed the thermostat wires on the unit to make sure thermostat wasn't bad. It was still running.

Thoughts?

We really need more info to properly help you diagnose the problem. I am an HVAC tech and Ill be happy to help wwalk you through any checks I feel your competent to make. However, Take some of the info in this thread with a grain of salt as there was some good info presented, and very hig misconceptions thrown out as well. Feel free to PM me a numbeer and Ill contact you if you like. Having and knowing how to read a DVOM will help tremendously.

Sounds like a cooling problem and possibly a tstat problem. The fact that your house didn't cool while your ac was running makes it seem you have a refridgerant leak or got one over the winter and it slowly leaked out. Then after you tried turning the a/c off, the ac unit continued to run regardless of the tstat makes it seem you also got a tstat problem. I would shut all the windows and turn your ac unit back on and see if you feel cold air comming out of your vents. If you do then you can rule the ac unit problem out and move on to your tstat . Then turn your tstat temp up to a high degree and see if your ac doesn't end up shutting off. If it doesn't. Then tstat problem
I would never Assume a Leak from no Cooling....Not as a First step for Troubleshooting. IMO its more likely he has fired up the system for the first time of the season, the compressor has sat all winter, the capacitor that starts the unit was weak and the load from a tight cold compressor did it in upon startup. The Fan on the outdoor unit would have ran as normal making it look like normal operation and the indoor unit would have ran as normal as well. HOWEVER.....this wouldnt cause it to stay on. Depending on whats staying on when the stat is switched to off completely will determine the next step in the check out procedure.

+1

Most AC's need an annual spring-tuneup. Are you an AEP customer?

I disagree on the "TUNE UP" thoery......I dont call a coil cleaning and new filters a "TUNE UP" lik these damn companies sucker you into. Sure they say they will "Cheeck" your freon level....But in reality, if it is working properly, not only is it not needed , hooking up gauges unnecccesarily causes refrigerent loss each time, there is no way around it.

Shit,

I ran into this same situation last night. The air coming out of the vents is slightly cool, but was still warmer than ambient temperatures outside. The blower also stayed on the entire night while being on auto.

shit sucks

You sir sound too like you have had a capacitor fail. Its very common this time of year and I ccould make thousands on the side from spring trouble shooting and cap replacements. Typically a Regular company will charge you about $150 and up to do a simple job like this. Kills me how much big companies have to rape guys...and yes I work for one and hate the pricing. If your compressor isnt runninng, and ust the indoor and outdoor fan, it will run forever as it will never reach your desired setpoint on the Tstat and satisfy the condition.

Anyone that ever needs HVAC Tips of Help, hit me up, Im happy to help with what I feel your comprehension and skillset level is. Unfortunately Im in Dayton, so anything further than heloing on the phone is likely out of the question unless I happen to be in CBus visiting family.

You sir sound too like you have had a capacitor fail. Its very common this time of year and I ccould make thousands on the side from spring trouble shooting and cap replacements. Typically a Regular company will charge you about $150 and up to do a simple job like this. Kills me how much big companies have to rape guys...and yes I work for one and hate the pricing. If your compressor isnt runninng, and ust the indoor and outdoor fan, it will run forever as it will never reach your desired setpoint on the Tstat and satisfy the condition.

Anyone that ever needs HVAC Tips of Help, hit me up, Im happy to help with what I feel your comprehension and skillset level is. Unfortunately Im in Dayton, so anything further than heloing on the phone is likely out of the question unless I happen to be in CBus visiting family.

Spot on ol Chap. The capacitor was the culprit. I'm sittin fine and chilly once again.

I welcome your information sir.

Sorry for the delay here, captain. I've had an interesting week.

AEP customers (that live in a condominium or house) are eligible for rebates when making household improvements. When you have a home assessment performed (free of charge) a representative will install some cfl light bulbs, a thermostat if yours is not a set-back, water aerators, low flow shower heads, pipe wrap and air sealing around your door. They'll inspect the home and let you know what you can do to save electricity.

After that you are qualified to request rebates for improvements likes pin cfl's, air sealing, duct sealing, insulation in the walls or attic, ac's, heat pumps, furnaces, and a few other things. The assessment costs $25 but I know a few different guys that will waive the fee to get you qualified. The popular one right now is a $50 clean and check on your ac unit. They will clean/replace your filter and charge you up. Most hvac guys will do that for less than $100 so with the rebate you can really save some dough as it starts to get hotter.