dieseling sound from motor-flexplate?

GTPSS

Ok, so I up to 50-60miles on this last refresh (1900 total miles on motor), and everything was great.

Today I take it to a CC and again all good. I go to wal-mart and auto zone and notice a small puddle of oil under it...I think great, real main AGAIN!!! (but most likely porosity issue). My rear suspension, and squealing front break are now fixed tho!

So i get home to check it out a little further. I get under it and after a few seconds it diesels like something is hitting the back of the block.

The sound is totally random, sounds fine for 5 sec then diesel, 10 sec, then diesel...you get the idea. It sounds like either rod knock or flexplate coming loose.

The new motor has ALWAYS had an oil relocation setup, NEVER been to the track, and oil press never below 35. (50 at startup-40 warm typically). NO and I mean NO crap in the oil, it looks GREAT. Pressure hold great, makes great power, NO KR.

Honestly it sounds exactly like a flexplate with its inconsistant slapping...but its farther forward. I put a screw driver on the oil pan and I can feel the "hits" when it diesels, I cant feel anything but vibrations on the bellhousing.

ME=FUCKED???? And right after dropping a shit ton on the procharger.

UPDATE 5.12.12

Motor was pulled, and Flexplate bolts were in fact loose!

Oil leak issue was discovered, and now looking for a cap for the rear of the crank.

I did not pull the rods apart, but there is ZERO slop, and very smooth front to back slide on all rods/bearings.

Fuel system should be ordered Monday along with other remaining items for the Pro Charger install.

Should be road worthy within a few weeks, and then tuned.

Edited by GTPSS

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by deisel, you mean while its running there is a sound? every 10 seconds or so? That sounds pretty odd, the engine should turn over more then a few times in 10 seconds. Is there any other way to describe the noise?

Ive seen this issue before with the crate motor SRT jeeps... They have windage tray intermitt. clearance issues with it? Causes a slight tap or so

Just throwing that out there..

And I know what your talking about the diesel motor.. As in like the random Idle knock diesels give out..

Do you have any inspection plate to take off to check the flywheel bolts?

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by deisel, you mean while its running there is a sound? every 10 seconds or so? That sounds pretty odd, the engine should turn over more then a few times in 10 seconds. Is there any other way to describe the noise?

Thread moved to the "Ask Scott" section. :lolguy:

Ive seen this issue before with the crate motor SRT jeeps... They have windage tray intermitt. clearance issues with it? Causes a slight tap or so

Just throwing that out there..

And I know what your talking about the diesel motor.. As in like the random Idle knock diesels give out..

Do you have any inspection plate to take off to check the flywheel bolts?

The strokers do have windage tray issues, but I spaced mine down low enough (with washers) that it would be an issue.

I am going to get down and inspect the flexplates bolts shortly-I lost ALL ambition hearing it.

Does the sound go away when you put it in gear? Does it run/drive ok?

Didnt hear it in gear, but the hood was clicked shut too. It makes GREAT power all around...like smoking 4 tires in reverse! I don't recomend that, but sometimes the situation gets to you.

As in like the random Idle knock diesels give out..

Exactly :)

Idle is at 850, if anything it needs to come down.

can you pull the oil pan while its in the car? it might be easier to check things out, and even without oil, if you pull the plug wires (or something to make it not actually start), you could have someone turn the engine over just a couple of cranks to see if you can see anything moving around (such as a windage tray for example).

can you pull the oil pan while its in the car? it might be easier to check things out, and even without oil, if you pull the plug wires (or something to make it not actually start), you could have someone turn the engine over just a couple of cranks to see if you can see anything moving around (such as a windage tray for example).

That's a good idea

Pull fuel pump fuse and pull spark plugs and have someone crank it while your under it.

Already talked to him about the oil pan. It's pretty much like my jeep, better to just pull the motor if your going through all the work to pull the diff.

no change yet guys :(

My daily driver started messing up last Wednesday (not starting). So I need to focus on that first...per the G/F. She used the get head out of ass speech.

So after a new starter in the daily it still doesnt start...I can hot wire it to start, so changing ignition switch on that Monday. Then is off to diagnose the SS.

I hope to have full details no later than Thursday. Sooner if its just flexplate (which i doubt).

Thanks!

Jeremiah