Anyone else hate boat ramps?

I have to admit, if i could have a helicopter just drop my skis in the water i would be fine with that. Last year was the first year we had any watercraft of any sort, and before that i had towed a trailer twice in my life, neither time ever involved precision backing of any type. call me a cry baby, but i hate the stress of dropping the trailer into the water, and pulling them back out. It almost makes it not even worth it. I understand that you get better with time, but its tough to practice when there is a full line of "professionals" waiting to kill you if you take longer than your allotted 63 seconds. Last year i went by myself on a wednesday afternoon just to practice putting the trailer in...call me awesome! now that the season is rolling around again i'm losing sleep just thinking about it. It's fine, call me a pussy, get it out of the way, i would rather hear it from you guys than some random on the docks, but im being serious. I'm a natural at some things, this...not so much...lol. anyone have any tips or tricks they use?

Tom

Find an open lot. Make a 'mock' ramp and practice.

I'm only 23 and my job involves putting 53 foot trailers in very tight spaces. If I can do that successfully, you can do it. Just practice.

When you line up. Try to give yourself the easiest back possible. Don't move your wheel a lot. Make very small adjustments. It's easier to line up with your drivers side. That way you just stick your head out the window.

Also try adjusting your mirrors to your trailer more. Basically so you see the very edges on both sides.

Good luck. It's easier than you think, you're just fucking yourself mentally.

I have to admit, if i could have a helicopter just drop my skis in the water i would be fine with that. Last year was the first year we had any watercraft of any sort, and before that i had towed a trailer twice in my life, neither time ever involved precision backing of any type. call me a cry baby, but i hate the stress of dropping the trailer into the water, and pulling them back out. It almost makes it not even worth it. I understand that you get better with time, but its tough to practice when there is a full line of "professionals" waiting to kill you if you take longer than your allotted 63 seconds. Last year i went by myself on a wednesday afternoon just to practice putting the trailer in...call me awesome! now that the season is rolling around again i'm losing sleep just thinking about it. It's fine, call me a pussy, get it out of the way, i would rather hear it from you guys than some random on the docks, but im being serious. I'm a natural at some things, this...not so much...lol. anyone have any tips or tricks they use?

Tom

Don't sweat it man. Most of those guys most likely just know which lines to take when going to the ramps they go to and at home. I'd put money on most not being any better than you are. Ex. At Senecaville Lake, the parking lot is really narrow. The same guys that bitched at people taking too long to back their trailer in, had to have people help them get out of their parking spot and took freaking forever.

Narrow, short, single axle trailers are a major bitch. I'd rather back a 40 ft gooseneck into a tight space than back a jet ski trailer down a ramp. Try to line it up as best as you can before backing up so that like mseebs said, you can just make really minor adjustments. Once you are basically straight you just make small movements to get as close to the sides as you can.

I'm with find mseebs a lot with some cones and just keep practicing, get the trailer in line with vehicle and make small adjustments. I use to back M198 Howitzers into c-130's there is no room for error. However, just relax and don't stress. Not sure of the old saying, but slow is smooth and smooth is fast comes to mind. It will come with practice.

Well since your being sucha girl about it maybe have your wife or girlf friend back it down for you :lol:

But as others have said set up cones ect in a parking lot and practice coming in from every direction to get use to it. I taught my mom this and now she's beast at it. Are u backin in a boat or ski triailer and how big? Ski trailers are the hardest especially with no ski on it as its skinny and low so its hard to see.

Also just wztching people u can see what there doing wrong and what there doing correct.

Also don't listen to lj he only things professionals can back stuff up and launch .

Team under 1 minuite crew :bangbang:

Well since your being sucha girl about it maybe have your wife or girlf friend back it down for you :lol:

But as others have said set up cones ect in a parking lot and practice coming in from every direction to get use to it. I taught my mom this and now she's beast at it. Are u backin in a boat or ski triailer and how big? Ski trailers are the hardest especially with no ski on it as its skinny and low so its hard to see.

Also just wztching people u can see what there doing wrong and what there doing correct.

Also don't listen to lj he only things professionals can back stuff up and launch .

Team under 1 minuite crew :bangbang:

turn the wheel the opposite direction the boat is going. Do it slowly. Backing slowly once is better than retrying 5 times.

Newbs can also put their had at the bottom of ther steering wheel and turn the wheel the direction they want the trailer to go.

Newbs can also put their had at the bottom of ther steering wheel and turn the wheel the direction they want the trailer to go.

Second best advice in here.

It was a PITA learning to back up trailers on a tractor (not that pussy Hydrostatic transmission bs) at 13 with an uncle that only knows how to yell.

But all else fails remember single trailer turn wheel op way you want the trailer to go.

It takes time and practice.

Personally I think driving a trailer should be in the driving test. U might never use it but you'll be ready.

Agreed.

But I also think there should be an IQ test and a requiered common sense course as well.

Personally I think driving a trailer should be in the driving test. U might never use it but you'll be ready.

Hell everyone should have to get there cdl ooooh yea

My parents made me take the horse trailer (38' gooseneck) to Marion and back before they would let me take my driving exam

You think thats bad try backing a 300,000 lbs aircraft out of a tight hanger using a two pivot tow bar.

I sucked the first couple times I did it. then I told my super to put me on every tow he could for about a year. Just a shit ton of practice and now I can do it practically with my eyes closed. For sure you should set up cones in a parking lot and git it to where you can back up through a course so good that you make a straight line your bitch.