How many miles is too many?

Hahn

Started browsing through some sport bikes and was wondering how many miles is too many. Was looking in the $7500 and under price range which had miles from as low as 3k up to as high as 20k. I dont know what kind of miles bikes are able to handle before needing some major work done so figured i would ask here.

I've seen plenty of sportbikes be perfectly fine at 20k miles. As long as they've had the oil changed, valves adjusted, and not abused badly they'll last much longer. If it were 40k miles on a hypersport inline 4 I'd be more worried about wear.

I would say certainly make sure there was proof of a valve check/adjust if youre buying anything past 6k or so. Even at 8k a few of mine were in the holy shit needing adjusted zone when I checked 1 winter ago.

Mine has 26k miles and all ive ever done was change the oil , runs as good as it did when i got it at 4k miles. its also had 500 passes at the trck(yes five hundo) tons of miles in the twisties and alot of highway miles too. wouldnt even have a worry in my mind at 40k on mine to take it cross country.

Planned on getting something with under 10k or even 5k miles now that i see the options are there. I was just wondering how long bikes are good for. Thanks for the help fellas.

If you buy a Ducati, anything over 500 miles is too much and it will start falling apart. Buy a Honda, and they are good for ever. My Brother had a VFR with 88k Miles. And it was still perfect. ( Pre-VTEC.. it was a carb'd 750 with the gear train driven cams..)

FOr the rest, I'd start worrying at about 20k to 25K miles assuming decent preventative maintenance was performed.

Yamahas seem to last pretty decent, Kawi's a bit less. Most Suzuki are bullet proof,,,

But any sport bike that revs as high as they do will not have the same reliability as a car....