Need network help

wnaplay1647545503

I dont know alot about this stuff so please try to keep answers basic. I am trying to connect an older laptop to a new verizon jetbox mifi spot thing. Default I believe it to be wpa2 secured. I believe I was able to connect but not for long. If I go into it and switch it to wep secured it seems to stay connected and be fine. Does this make sense? Also the laptop asks for a network key but when I go into the admin panel none is listed. I did make one up and added it to the admin panel just so I had something to put in the laptop when prompted. Any of this making sense? Thanks

This has already been answered correctly with the mention of the old laptop not supporting WPA. WEP is not very secure and can be easily cracked. Is it possible to hide the SSID on the mifi device?

no i can brute force a wep password in a few hrs. if you can, use a password of at least 12 characters and the time it takes to crack goes significantly up.

using aircrack-ng and multiple clients forcing auth data, or heavy network traffic, more like 10 minutes.

So, let me drop a little bit of knowledge here.

WEP uses the RC4 mechanism for encryption but was broken in 1997

WPA was a temporary fix for RC4 with some changes but the same hardware, simple WPA passwords are broken using a rainbow table

WPA2 new hardware, new software, WAY harder to break

So, most devices support WEP because they could buy the hardware cheap. It takes a firmware upgrade to use WPA as it is the same hardware it just needs software. WPA2 is all new hardware and if you are having problems you probably need new drivers installed.

Sorry, wifi isn't something I can keep simple as it isn't simple.