Waste Motor Oil

Tractor

Anyone know where I could get a real supply of used oil and/or ATF. I'd prefer it be free of water/antifreeze, but I can always separate it. I'm planning to build a waste motor oil processing system so I can offset the cost of fuel for my Duece and a Half, but I'll need a lot of it. Ideally finding 50+ gallons at a time.

I recycle 10 gallons at a time pretty regularly, either at autozone, advance, or tractor supply. It is not uncommon for one to have their tank full and force me to go elsewhere.

I'm sure they're paying someone to empty the tanks, so maybe you could offer to pump their tanks into your own barrels or something for free? There are probably some regulations that could get in the way though....

$1 per gallon sounds good to me considering the alternative.

As far as laws, I'm looking into that one. It seems that I may have to pay the gas tax on it in order to run it on the street and keep a log. Thats assuming I ever get pulled over by the commerce guys and they dip the tank. I hear its very likely in North Carolina. I'll never have my truck on an interstate due to its max speed being 50mph, I'd prefer not to block traffic.

In the worst case I'd like to be able to have at least 1 55 gallon drum of the stuff at my house and processed into clean fuel to make longer road trips cheaper.

It seems that I may have to pay the gas tax on it in order to run it on the street and keep a log.

Either your waaaay to honest or I just plain don't give a F.... No way I'd do that. Gov't can't EAD IMO.

yeah drums are the first things on my list. I saw on CL that a guy up north of me has hundreds of the plastic ones. I'm not sure they'd work so well for oil, but at least they wouldn't rust. I also like the idea of being able to use a drum lift to move them around and I'm not sure that works with a plastic one, but I'm sure I could rig something up.

Very interesting reading on steelsoldiers.com in the alternative fuel section on this type of project.

Either your waaaay to honest or I just plain don't give a F.... No way I'd do that. Gov't can't EAD IMO.

Well, I agree and normally would never follow some type of law like that, but at least in the case of people getting busted in NC its about $2000 in fines which I don't like the sound of.

Well, I agree and normally would never follow some type of law like that, but at least in the case of people getting busted in NC its about $2000 in fines which I don't like the sound of.

I suppose but in OH how the fuck is anyone going to even know?

I know that people don't typically run "offroad" diesel in their trucks. A few reasons being; 1) its not approved for road use by DOT or EPA, 2) the typical fed/state road taxes aren't collected on it because its supposed to go in farm equipment.

I'm going to assume that someone is supposed to enforce those regs, but I'm not going to pretend to know how or when. I'm guessing I'd be more of a target if I used the truck for commercial work, but then it would fall under a whole other set of safety rules, etc that it would not meet either so that would be a bad idea all around.

As soon as I can get some barrels I'll be hitting some of you guys up for oil. Not sure when that's going to be as June is extremely busy for me.

Drums are $5 a piece at the salvage yard my friend uses near Kenton. As far as the road tax and off-road fuel. Off-Road fuel has a red dye in it if I remember right and they dip your tank looking for that red dye. From what I heard it will dye MANY tankfuls after the one that actually had the dye in it.

I doubt you would be able to get oil from Auto Zone or any collection location. The laws for the stuff are very strict. Where I work I have to keep a very tight log of all used oils I have on premises and turn in. The EPA does not play around with that stuff. I'm sure you would be able to gather plenty of oil from Cr, the question is would be economical to run around and collect it? I wish you the best of luck on this though. I have a 90 Ford 7.3 and have thought many times about running oil in one of my tanks or a mix of diesel and oil.

Actually companies like the one I work for pay Upwards of $1.00 per gallon to those kind of places so good luck getting it for free

So if companies are paying for the used oil, then what is this BS oil disposal fees that the oil change places are charge for changing your oil.