Whats this stuff? Spectro Golden 4

wrillo

So I bought some (fucking expensive ass) oil today called Spectro Golden 4. I went to the only dealer I could get to before closing time, which isn't the one from which I bought my bike. They recommended it... It a semi-synthetic blend, what is it? is it good? at $10.50/liter is it going to leave my cylinder walls lined with gold? anyone hear of it?

10.5 for a syth. blend?? damn...

thats what I said! When he told me how much I laughed and said "thats a little steep!" oh well! At least I know my baby is being taken care of or so thats what I tell myself to make me feel better

yup, good stuff. Popular in Canada. Also the Royal Purple, it's popular in Canada also. Honestly, most of the premium motorcycle oils are similar. The Spectro Platinum Full Synthetic is the one recommended for sport bikes. Costs more I'm sure. Both the Spectro Golden 4 and the Spectro Platinum Full synthetic are JASO MA motorcycle oils.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/4stroke/spectro4.asp

Edited by ReconRat
Link

So I bought some (fucking expensive ass) oil today called Spectro Golden 4. I went to the only dealer I could get to before closing time, which isn't the one from which I bought my bike. They recommended it... It a semi-synthetic blend, what is it? is it good? at $10.50/liter is it going to leave my cylinder walls lined with gold? anyone hear of it?[/quote\\

does your ass hurt- could have got rotella for 16 for a gallon bro- call the rape crisis hotline

Actually, the price isn't all that high for premium motorcycle oil. I listed these Iron Pony prices from last year (all JASO MA). I would run any of these in my bike. I would not run the non-synthetics in a high compression high revving bike. A synthetic or synthetic blend would be better for that.

Castrol R4 SuperBike 5W40 10.75

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 12.59

Castrol GPS 7.50

Honda HP4 w/o Moly 7.29

Castrol Actevo 4T 4.25 (17.25 gallon)

Honda GN4 4.49 (13.99 gallon)

Spectro Golden 4 9.20 (34.99 gallon)

Repsol 4T Racing 9.99 (24.99 gallon)

does your ass hurt- could have got rotella for 16 for a gallon bro- call the rape crisis hotline

i knew it was expensive when I was buying it, but like I said it was the only reputable place I could get to in time. I'm sure it works, but I'm kinda on the fence when it comes to using truck oil in my bike

Actually, the price isn't all that high for premium motorcycle oil. I listed these Iron Pony prices from last year (all JASO MA). I would run any of these in my bike. I would not run the non-synthetics in a high compression high revving bike. A synthetic or synthetic blend would be better for that.

Castrol R4 SuperBike 5W40 10.75

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 12.59

Castrol GPS 7.50

Honda HP4 w/o Moly 7.29

Castrol Actevo 4T 4.25 (17.25 gallon)

Honda GN4 4.49 (13.99 gallon)

Spectro Golden 4 9.20 (34.99 gallon)

Repsol 4T Racing 9.99 (24.99 gallon)

do they still have the repsol racing for $9.99? It usually goes for $13.

I used to be able to get the repsol sintetico (semi synthetic) for $5 a quart.

but someone bought the shop and raised the prices..:(

I was going to switch (very reluctantly) to Mobil's motorcycle oil you can get from auto parts stores. it's still $10 a quart.

Edited by serpentracer

So I bought some (fucking expensive ass) oil today called Spectro Golden 4. I went to the only dealer I could get to before closing time, which isn't the one from which I bought my bike. They recommended it... It a semi-synthetic blend, what is it? is it good? at $10.50/liter is it going to leave my cylinder walls lined with gold? anyone hear of it?[/quote\\

all the blackstone lab results I've seen from bikes using that oil show high levels of wear. one flat out told the guy he has major piston scuffing.

that oil is made for vehicles that idle most of their lives and rarely hit over 3k rpm. not for motorcycles that can rev to 16k rpm.

not all oils are the same. it would be like saying you can use white lithium grease in disk brake wheel bearings...and that is a huge no no.

Edited by serpentracer