gun law questions

Green Bastard

so I was reading this http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3646.html and I have a couple questions. I know it was written a few years ago and gun laws may have changed since then. my question is, how do you properly carry a gun in the car say to a range or something. it seems there are a few stipulations to carrying a hand gun in a car without a ccw. I know you can walk down the street with a gun belt and no permit (provided the gun is unloaded last I heard) but can you do the same in a car, or is that considered concealed. I'm just trying to learn about gun laws because I've been thinking about getting a handgun for home protection and possibly going to the range now and then. I would rather know the laws than go to jail for something stupid if I did get another gun (my other gun is a .22 rifle).

To properly transport a gun in a car, you have to have the gun unloaded in a case, and ammo in a separate container.

The gun and ammo have to be out of reach from the driver, aka trunk.

The magazine has to be completely unloaded as well.

You can open carry in public w/out a CHL (and you can have it chambered ), but once you step in a car it's considered concealed. You have to unload your gun and store it properly BEFORE you step in the car

If you have a CCL can you have loaded magazines in the trunk, in a gun chambered, or out of the gun in a bag? Or should you keep ammo inside of the box or ammo can in the trunk? I keep all my spare magazines loaded in my house. No reason to be empty unless the law says so :)

If you have a CCL can you have loaded magazines in the trunk, in a gun chambered, or out of the gun in a bag? Or should you keep ammo inside of the box or ammo can in the trunk? I keep all my spare magazines loaded in my house. No reason to be empty unless the law says so :)

You can do whatever the hell you want. you can have it sitting on your lap if you wanted to

I carry when i go to the range.

Remember that it's a "concealed handgun license" which means you could have ten loaded guns on you or in your car, but they have to be "hand guns."

There are a couple rifle types with exceptions, I think it's stripper clips, but thats another discussion.

You can do whatever the hell you want. you can have it sitting on your lap if you wanted to

I carry when i go to the range.

Remember that it's a "concealed handgun license" which means you could have ten loaded guns on you or in your car, but they have to be "hand guns."

There are a couple rifle types with exceptions, I think it's stripper clips, but thats another discussion.

What about full ar-15 magazines?

What about full ar-15 magazines?

AR has to be carried with Dry Mags, only exception is if you have an AR-15 pistol. There is a recent lay that made Loaded mag = Loaded Gun. That law needs to be changed and I think they are working on it. Trunk is kind of a grey area and I wouldn't risk it just to save some time at the range.

Edited by 1fastSTI

WARNING:

As of Sept. 30, 2011, concealed handgun licensees are no longer required to carry handguns in any particular manner in a motor vehicle. However, you should carry it safely and securely. The handgun should be carried so it is not accessible to unauthorized persons. If you are planning on carrying a concealed handgun while driving, have your concealed carry license and another piece of valid government identification in your possession.

In addition to the concealed carry prohibitions detailed above, Ohio has strict laws concerning firearms in a vehicle. If you do not have a concealed handgun license, you may not transport a loaded handgun in any manner where it is accessible to anyone inside the vehicle without leaving the vehicle. If you do not have a license, you may not transport a firearm in a vehicle unless it is unloaded and carried in one of the following ways:

• In a closed package, box or case;

• In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

• In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for that purpose; or

• If it is a firearm at least 24 inches in overall length and if

the barrel is at least 18 inches in length, it must be in plain sight with the action open or the firearm must be stripped. If the firearm is of a type in which the action will not stay open or cannot easily be stripped, it must be in plain sight.

Statutory Reference(s): ORC 2923.16(E) governs how licensees may transport loaded concealed handguns in motor vehicles.

ORC 2923.16(B) and © govern how firearms must be otherwise transported in a vehicle

AR has to be carried with Dry Mags, only exception is if you have an AR-15 pistol. There is a recent lay that made Loaded mag = Loaded Gun. That law needs to be changed and I think they are working on it. Trunk is kind of a grey area and I wouldn't risk it just to save some time at the range.

Does dry mags mean empty mags? I won't carry my rifles loaded (mag in the gun and chambered). I was referring to having a gun case for a rifle in the trunk and another bag with loaded magazines. Mike's long post of the actual law was good but I am not sure in the case above if that is legal.

I feel it is silly to unload a mag just to transport it if it is in an area I can not reach unless I get out of my car, and also it is in 2 different bags/cases, plus CCL approved.

Does dry mags mean empty mags? I won't carry my rifles loaded (mag in the gun and chambered). I was referring to having a gun case for a rifle in the trunk and another bag with loaded magazines. Mike's long post of the actual law was good but I am not sure in the case above if that is legal.

I feel it is silly to unload a mag just to transport it if it is in an area I can not reach unless I get out of my car, and also it is in 2 different bags/cases, plus CCL approved.

Dry mags = empty mags. The law is confusing and it isn't very clear on how long guns can be carried by someone with a CHL when it is in the trunk. I just wouldn't risk anything period especially with a CHL. You don't want to get smacked with a felony. And yes it seems very silly, I am sure the criminal that wants to rob a bank with an AR-15 will keep his mags unloaded until he got to the bank, since it is against the law to transport the magazine loaded in the car.