I didn't know this was here: My Work

So Criticize like motherfuckers (like CR does). I've been learning all I can about photography and finally put in to action (below) I'm thinking about doing this on the side but don't really have anyone who will keep it real. Help me....

(this is an engagement session I shot for a CR member)

Compostion2.jpg

Rest:

https://plus.google.com/photos/106304690709626504957/albums/5755918693553843537?authkey=CIi4pcjc48_CdA

They are not very Sharp.

You're right, I don't think I nailed the focus on that one especially. The D40x has exactly 3 focal points vs. my forthcoming D600's 39. Luckily I took a million at that scene and have a clearer one. I'll get it up tomorrow.

Likewise on the red umbrella one.

I learned that shooting with a really shallow DOF, a moving target, in low light is effing hard.

I think they look good, though in a few similar scenes the white balance is different (Not a big deal, but most tend to try and balance each set) I've found that having 11ty million focus points is worthless and I still just use a single point. I just don't like the camera grabbing something it considers important and focusing on that and would rather pick that spot myself.

Not sure if the D40 can do it, but on my canons I use a separate button for focus lock and the shutter button for setting the exposure and taking the photo. This allows me to nail focus before a moving target reaching a predetermined point and I can fire off shots

through that point to insure I get one in focus. Also useful for known distances or tripod use where you won't have to continue to adjust focus.

You're right, I don't think I nailed the focus on that one especially. The D40x has exactly 3 focal points vs. my forthcoming D600's 39. Luckily I took a million at that scene and have a clearer one. I'll get it up tomorrow.

Likewise on the red umbrella one.

I learned that shooting with a really shallow DOF, a moving target, in low light is effing hard.

I like how you composed them. Its a good shot overall. Low light sucks period unless your on a tripod and can afford long exposure times.. I used to play hell getting good shots at night at the race tracks. It took me a while to get them right. Keep up the good work.

I think they look good, though in a few similar scenes the white balance is different (Not a big deal, but most tend to try and balance each set) I've found that having 11ty million focus points is worthless and I still just use a single point. I just don't like the camera grabbing something it considers important and focusing on that and would rather pick that spot myself.

Not sure if the D40 can do it, but on my canons I use a separate button for focus lock and the shutter button for setting the exposure and taking the photo. This allows me to nail focus before a moving target reaching a predetermined point and I can fire off shots

through that point to insure I get one in focus. Also useful for known distances or tripod use where you won't have to continue to adjust focus.

+1 on the focus. I am a Canon guy also and I just used my center weighted focus point and then re framed my shot once I had my focus.

I think the advantage I see in having more focal points is that they are individually smaller. When you use the center weight point it is far more accurate. I'm also going to start shooting directly to an iPad so composition and focus can be verified before moving on.

I shot in RAW so the differing WBs was my own doing in LR. I just realized you can copy paste the whole color profile. Rookie move.

Good tips on the AFL, I was just switching to manual mode once I thought I had it right.

I appreciate all the feedback.

You use an eye-fi card and it does it automagically. If you are off-site you can use cydia to turn the jailbroken iPad into a hotspot creating the network for the card.

The D600 will have dual slots so one can be used for real storage while the other exports the jpgs for quick review.

It's super easy.

I think the advantage I see in having more focal points is that they are individually smaller. When you use the center weight point it is far more accurate. I'm also going to start shooting directly to an iPad so composition and focus can be verified before moving on.

I shot in RAW so the differing WBs was my own doing in LR. I just realized you can copy paste the whole color profile. Rookie move.

Good tips on the AFL, I was just switching to manual mode once I thought I had it right.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I used to use an expodisc and do cutom white balances. It is very acurate. I shoot RAW also. It gives you much better control of the photo right out of the camera.