Emerald Ash Borer

mrs.cos

So, it seems that a all the ash trees in my neighborhood on the city side have been marked for death because of emerald ash borer.

I have 3 Ash trees in my backyard, and we fear they may be a problem. The problem is we love these trees. They make excellent canopy shade over our whole backyard.. Taking out all three of them will ruin what our backyard is for us. As a redhead who loves outside, sitting in the backyard all day without having to worry about getting sunburnt is really important to me.

Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I would love to have some beautiful foliage trees, that DONT drop trash (no nuts, no large seed pods) We have 2 sugar maples and while they are nice, i find them boring.... So.. What else is there that makes great shade and is a relatively fast growing trees? (we are locked into this house for at least another 5-10 years)

Im looking for something that at maturity is at LEAST 25' wide x 50-60' tall.

We are going to have an arborist come out and look at the trees to see if we are safe, but im sure if the city has marked all of them in my neighborhood as being pulled, its for a reason.

Its really a government plan for ginger eradication.

Seriously though, one reason the wife and I bought the house that we did down here was because there was a willow tree right on the other side of the fence that kind of came in our yard a bit and gave us some nice evening shade. Well, when a young couple bought the house behind us, they cut the tree. That really sucked, especially since there are next to no real trees anywhere near here.

I had to cut down two ash trees yesterday because of that stupid little bug. What sucks is I have about 13 more as trees that are not long for the world. My neighbor beside me has 5 they we are cutting down today.

I am fond of Poplar Trees.

:)

KillJoy

Nope; no cottonwoods. They are horrible trash trees. They drop crap that sticks to everything and clogs up our neighbors pool, and losses it's leaves as early as mid August.

I took down 4 ash trees last week, but treated 9 in my back yard. Is treating them an option, or are they already too far gone to save?

To replace some of the trees we cut we put in Weeping Cherries and King Crimson Maples. One of the things I insisted on was the trees had to be native to Ohio so they would be as maintenance free as possible.

The city in Marysville came through and cut down all of the Ash trees on the easements as a precautionary measure. They didn't have the bug yet and we still lost 3 trees. it sucked. Hopefully it is the same story for you and you don't need to get rid of the ones on your property.

I'm a fan of the Autumn Blaze Maple, this is a tree that sounds ideal for what your looking for. This maple tree is a unique combination of good traits from the red maple and silver maple. The qualities mixed by the autumn blaze maple tree are brilliant orange-red color in the fall, dense and healthy branching, and enhanced growth that protects from insects and disease. They are known for their unexcelled speed of growth. The autumn blaze maple tree can also live in a variety of climates.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/d19sevent2/abmaplesummer.jpg

Its a nice fast growing, hardy tree that leaves no mess, besides you'll get this in the fall.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/d19sevent2/AutumnBlaze.jpg

Another tree I'm fond of is a Shingle Oak. This tree gets its name from when old pioneer settlers made the shingles for their cabins from this tree. It being an oak it does have acorns.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/d19sevent2/shingle_oak.gif

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/d19sevent2/quercus-imbricaria060512-1577franklinz.jpg

Avoid sweetgums...they do grow fast, but their seed pods are these:

http://www.dreamstime.com/sweet-gum-seed-pods-thumb12210033.jpg

Stepping on one while barefoot feels like what you think it would feel like, only worse.

Maples are a good way to go, the colors in fall are nice, and they don't drop branches much.

Stepping on one while barefoot feels like what you think it would feel like, only worse.

Maples are a good way to go, the colors in fall are nice, and they don't drop branches much.

I got one of these bastards behind my house. Hate that tree

Fuck sweet gums.

No arguments from me. I have spent the last 10 years cutting them down off our propert. I have one left but it's in a low traffic area. When we moved in we had a total of 21 trees on our little 1/8 acre. It made very happy, we have removed 3 full size trees - all sweet gums. They will all be replaced eventually.

I am a typical barefoot woman. Those trees are the bane of my existence.

I took down 4 ash trees last week, but treated 9 in my back yard. Is treating them an option, or are they already too far gone to save?

To replace some of the trees we cut we put in Weeping Cherries and King Crimson Maples. One of the things I insisted on was the trees had to be native to Ohio so they would be as maintenance free as possible.

This, you should be able to treat them. cutting should only be the last resort. Also be thankful you don't live in Dublin if you remove a tree from your land it has to be replaced with a equal sized tree.

Edited by Skinner

This, you should be able to treat them. cutting should only be the last resort. Also be thankful you don't live in Dublin if you remove a tree from your land it has to be replaced with a equal sized tree.

Equal size tree? If my trees had been planted when the house was built maybe. Some of the trees on my lot probably predate the house by 50 years. It would not be physically possible for me to replace them with equal size. Glad I'm out in the townships and not in a city.

someone better tell them because they are replacing the trees they are cutting down with saplings.

Equal size tree? If my trees had been planted when the house was built maybe. Some of the trees on my lot probably predate the house by 50 years. It would not be physically possible for me to replace them with equal size. Glad I'm out in the townships and not in a city.

thats what I was told where my wife used to work they had a ash tree and was able to treat it. the owner was selling and was afraid they were going to have to put in a equal sized tree.

thats what I was told where my wife used to work they had a ash tree and was able to treat it. the owner was selling and was afraid they were going to have to put in a equal sized tree.

If there is only one ash tree then I'm all for treating it. It will cost a little more in the long run, but I think that is worth it. I just took 4 down and treated 9 more. There goes my summer project budget. The company did the work made some mistakes, so they made me a killer deal to plant 8 new trees to replace the ones we took down.