Known elevation points around Columbus?

evan9381

are there some points around columbus that have accurate known elevation points? i got a new GPS and want to see how accurate it is, and try to calibrate it. My buddy and I did a ride yesterday, exact same ride, and his said we climbed about 2300' of elevation, and mine showed 2800'. Both are Garmin devices (his is a garmin 200, mine garmin 500), so i found it a bit odd that it was off by that much.

are there some points around columbus that have accurate known elevation points? i got a new GPS and want to see how accurate it is, and try to calibrate it. My buddy and I did a ride yesterday, exact same ride, and his said we climbed about 2300' of elevation, and mine showed 2800'. Both are Garmin devices (his is a garmin 200, mine garmin 500), so i found it a bit odd that it was off by that much.

Well, unless you are in the mountains of West Virginia, You didn't climb to that height. I am guessing that its total for all the hills you have travelled up. If I can recall correctly most of central Ohio is around 900 feet above sea level.

i know what columbus is "approximately". but FWIW, we we're riding down around lancaster area, so its probably pretty close to that total, as to what we did ride. it was over a 62 mile stretch, so as a total, thats not unreasonable at all...im not talking about max elevation, but total vertical climbing.

Ok, well then it comes down to the possibility of signal reception, calibration and as to whether they were reset before the trip. Was not saying it was unreasonable, I'm really just looking at the fact that over that distance, any number of things can cause different readings on separate gps devices.

is it at a point the public can get to the marker? and is that over by UA area im assuming?

Not sure. Perhaps call them. I only remember it from when I had a visit there as a guest one time and an instructor told us about it and how it's an "official marker" of elevation.

Rickenbacker airport is 749 feet if I remember correctly. Every airport has its elevation listed all you have to do is use google for the numbers. There are 5 airports in columbus and several more close by that should give you a good idea of how accurate your gps is.

Rickenbacker airport is 749 feet if I remember correctly. Every airport has its elevation listed all you have to do is use google for the numbers. There are 5 airports in columbus and several more close by that should give you a good idea of how accurate your gps is.

Read this, googled, found this.

USGS Topographical maps have elevation points of just about all rises/summits (if in hills) marked on them.

Remember each time your GPS takes a reading it is within specs to be 1-2 ft off +/- your correct elevation so its not at all impossible that between two units you were off several hundred feet at the end of your trip.

At least this is how civilian GPS units worked a few years ago. Now I use an android device for mapping and don't really know their accuracy.