FD RX-7 questions/Project car suggestions

Littleguy

I really just haven't had the time to take it out very often this year, and since it only gets used once or twice a week it had me thinking of getting something less compromising. The one thing that keeps holding me back is the fact that my GTO is in absolutely perfect condition inside/out/mechanically and I'm afraid I'll be asking for a headache switching. I'm going to go to the shop I use today so they can take a look at my tune and do a general checkup and talk to them about options for my GTO (procharger, tvs, or n/a) and see what they think I'd have to spend for a quality LS swap into an RX-7.

I'm cuntfused, lol.

If you want reliability and stability keep the GTO, Plus I bet your GTO has AC...

Took me a while to do my swap, But I like it. However I will always have to tweak it to get it to where I want it like your amenities in your GTO. I still want my 240 to be reliable have ac and drive it anywhere.

For a truck motor, and it wont be making no 400hp

You are living in a cheap world maybe we can all come visitone day.

Ls6 pull out with a T56 your looking at 2800 -3800 depending on what it came out of what ls motor it is and how many miles.

If the list was that easy eeryone would do it

So how bout you STFU and get your numbers right before you give thhis guy some wrong info.

Um yeah pretty sure he didnt say ls6 swap but okay. And as to your second comment about having an AC. Rx7s do come with AC on some models.

It is a pretty easy swap and many people HAVE been doing it for years.

keep the GTO. with the money you're willing to spend, you won't find what you're looking for.

i've been following lsx rx7's for a while, and have wanted one since the guy on this site (who was busted in the big street racing sting) with the blown lsx-powered, green rx7 lit me up from a stoplight in my (then pullied) '04 cobra. it was bad, embarassing, etc etc. i've been close a couple times to buying one, but never pulled through. i might just buy one this year, but its way more than you're willing to spend to get a well-built, well-planned, non-hack job from someone who's already done several of them. some guys on there like doing the swap so much that they've done several---these are the guys i'd buy from

good luck

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I went to the shop yesterday and for a quality swap I'd be looking to spend between $13-18k for a setup I'd be happy with, which is way more than I'm willing to spend.

Basically, what I'm looking for is more drama when I drive the car. I've had the car with full bolt-ons and a tune for a while like Tim said, but that isn't really special enough any more. I got a quote yesterday for a heads/cam/intake setup from them yesterday, and even though it wouldn't make as much power as a tvs or procharger I'm thinking it would provide me with more than plenty of power and, hopefully, the drama I'm looking for on those special occasions when I do drive the car. I'm going to think about it over the next few days and decide if I want to put down the cash for the parts.

Am I closer to being on the right track right now?

Thanks for the reply's everybody. I went to the shop yesterday and for a quality swap I'd be looking to spend between $13-18k for a setup I'd be happy with, which is way more than I'm willing to spend.

Basically, what I'm looking for is more drama when I drive the car. I've had the car with full bolt-ons and a tune for a while like Tim said, but that isn't really special enough any more. I got a quote yesterday for a heads/cam/intake setup from them yesterday, and even though it wouldn't make as much power as a tvs or procharger I'm thinking it would provide me with more than plenty of power and, hopefully, the drama I'm looking for on those special occasions when I do drive the car. I'm going to think about it over the next few days and decide if I want to put down the cash for the parts.

Am I closer to being on the right track right now?

you must be young. the older i get, the less drama i want. a huge cam and shot of the sauce should be plenty of drama, coupled to a maximum rear tire size of 255.

Well, as far as young, who knows, I'm about to be 33y/o. My thing is that my Lexus is very very tame so when I do get the chance to get into the GTO I want it to be the complete opposite. As far as tires go I've got 265's now, and I'm just going to have to make due with 285's next time I purchase a set (I know fender modification is involved).

Honestly, all out power/speed aren't that important to me. I couldn't care less who has a faster car or who I can/can't beat. I guess I'm really going for my own personal happiness lighting up the tires and putting the ass end loose when I do drive it along with some roughness/mean motor sound. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes when the painful part hits Wednesday when actually have to drop off cash for the parts. I've come to accept my inner ricer, lol.

Well, as far as young, who knows, I'm about to be 33y/o. My thing is that my Lexus is very very tame so when I do get the chance to get into the GTO I want it to be the complete opposite. As far as tires go I've got 265's now, and I'm just going to have to make due with 285's next time I purchase a set (I know fender modification is involved).

Honestly, all out power/speed aren't that important to me. I couldn't care less who has a faster car or who I can/can't beat. I guess I'm really going for my own personal happiness lighting up the tires and putting the ass end loose when I do drive it along with some roughness/mean motor sound. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes when the painful part hits Wednesday when actually have to drop off cash for the parts. I've come to accept my inner ricer, lol.

Good choice!

I have the same outlook on my 240, I want something that is totally difrent but not to far out there on power and wildness that i cant take a road trip with it.

But this is coming from a guy who will be driving on drag radials and skinnies everyday with it....

you must be young. the older i get, the less drama i want. a huge cam and shot of the sauce should be plenty of drama, coupled to a maximum rear tire size of 255.

You are gonna be real butt hurt when you see his old nissan Z

Rented space from him while i was in college when he started it. took it down to the frame on a rotisserie and fixed every rust spot put it back together added a LS1 and a lincolnMK8 rear end IRS its so pretty literally prolly just as quick as his fd.

He did a sl500 with a small cam in a 5.3 auto... sexy

most people on here know i love the RX-7 and anything rotary. for god sake i need only a FB to complete my RX-7 family. in all honesty ive never had a single issue motor issue with any of my FD's but then again i fix anything i see as a potential problem. i have a bone stock FD in my driveway that i would more than happy to let go to another CR member.