Anybody know Tom Amato from Delaware?

Fubar231

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the check wasn't bad, but she is off work temp for 2 weeks and he agree'd to wait that time to cash it so she could have money to live for the next 2 weeks, and then she woke up and it was cashed and now shes over-drafted or has no money left.

Thats the very definition of a bad check. She wrote a check that her account couldnt handle. Verbal agreement or not.

Im just going off of what i was told, and that was she was charged $400 for a simple battery replacement and air filter, and that he would wait XX amount of days for the check to be cashed and he cashed it way earlier than what was agreed upon. I asked her to find her reciept and shoot me a picture of it so i could see how much she was charged for each thing and if there was any diagnostics time.

Im gonna shoot her a text and she if she had any luck finding the reciept.

And the check wasn't bad, but she is off work temp for 2 weeks and he agree'd to wait that time to cash it so she could have money to live for the next 2 weeks, and then she woke up and it was cashed and now shes over-drafted or has no money left.

Tell your friend she's a dumb ass... she can't be upset that he cashed the check. Tell her to not go get services done and not be able to pay for it. That's retarded to try to post date a check

Thats the very definition of a bad check. She wrote a check that her account couldnt handle. Verbal agreement or not.

Bingo

Tell your friend she's a dumb ass... she can't be upset that he cashed the check. Tell her to not go get services done and not be able to pay for it. That's retarded to try to post date a check

Times are tough, for some (well most) people cars are there means to get to work and earn a paycheck. It is not at all uncommon in the Service industry to negotiate a payment plan / payment date. If a payment date was agreed upon and this guy gave her his word then he should stand by it. As it pertains to this circumstance, If a man gave me his word on holding a check until a certain date only for him to cash it early I would light him up like the 4th of July .

• Downvote 1

Times are tough, for some (well most) people cars are there means to get to work and earn a paycheck. It is not at all uncommon in the Service industry to negotiate a payment plan / payment date. If a payment date was agreed upon and this guy gave her his word then he should stand by it. As it pertains to this circumstance, If a man gave me his word on holding a check until a certain date only for him to cash it early I would light him up like the 4th of July .

I severly disagree if u can't pay when services are rendered then don't do it. Hell take the cota, two footed express works too.

I wouldnt walk into quaker steak and order food and say oh I'm sorry ill pay you in a few weeks.

I severly disagree if u can't pay when services are rendered then don't do it. Hell take the cota, two footed express works too.

I wouldnt walk into quaker steak and order food and say oh I'm sorry ill pay you in a few weeks.

Comparing a bill for a night on the town to a bill for what most would consider a necessity is asinine. The industry is well aware people rely on cars for Jobs, Doctors appointments, Kids, you name it. They are also aware the bill for said car may be prohibitively expensive, therefore they tend to work with people on payment dates (at least most shops will). Furthermore this type of scenario is how alot of smaller shops tend to retain business, as they are more willing to go out on a limb for the customer.

Edited by acklac7
gramatical error

Also should add that if I owned a shop and some psycho bitch lit me up for something I really didn't deserve I wouldn't cut her the slightest break, if she really pissed me off I might just be inclined to say "yea fuck you" and cash the check immediately...

Comparing a bill for a night on the town to a bill for what most would consider a necessity is asinine. The industry is well aware people rely on cars for Jobs, Doctors appointments, Kids, you name it. They are also aware the bill for said car may be prohibitively expensive, therefore they tend to work with people on payment dates (at least most shops will). Furthermore this type of scenario is how alot of smaller shops tend to retain business, as they are more willing to go out on a limb for the customer.

This.

Sometimes you need to help people out when (if the shop owner is able to) you can. More than likely that customer will come back or let other people know how you helped them. Then those people might give that shop a shot. It's called business, and some people don't get it.

Known Tom for years. Stand up guy and honest - great mechanic. In fact many years ago I had a Firebird I owned then in for some minor service. While he had it, the auto transmission went out. Guess what Tom did? fixed it for free since it was in his possession. I refused to let him do that and insisted on paying for the parts and he covered labor. Can't get more honest than this.

There is another side to this story I am convinced.

BTW: I would not advise doing anything (burnout - which I assume was a joke) to him as was suggested, besides being a great guy he has had a huge tragedy in his life. A few years ago he lost five family members including (I think) his parents and several kids. This has no bearing on the post, but knowing Tom and knowing what he has been through, suggestions like this tend to really piss me off.

Just to let everyone know, this was not started as a hate thread. I simply made this thread to see if anyone else knew about this guy, and what kind of mechanic he was. There probably is shit to this story im not being told but i mainly wanted to see what kind of guy he was.

Im still trying to get a picture of the reciept by the way.

Also she drives a 3rd gen eclipse, and its not a rusted pos, Its a fairly nice car.

And for everyone saying the check was bad, it was not bad. She had the money to pay for it and paid it off (before the agreed upon date), its just that he was supposed to wait till a certain date so that she had money to live for the next 2 weeks, the check wasnt bad, and it didnt bounce. She only has like $20 left in her account now though.

thinking about it more, the girl is an idiot. Even if Tom did rip her off, she didn't take any extra effort to save money. She could have switched batteries with another person to see if that fixed the problem. Even if she does not know how to work on cars, youtube and google could have shown her everything. Hell, the folks at NAPA, Advance Auto, etc could have given her everything she needed to change the parts on the spot and she could have called anyone for advice(parents, friends, neighbors, etc).

I hate to be harsh on her, but she takes the easy road and then wants to cry wolf when she doesn't have any money. Its easier to be the victim than to put the time in to figure it out.

1) the chick knows the who did the work on her car and how contact with the guy...why don't you just go talk to him and see whats up instead of plastering his name all over CR with out getting the whole story?

2) And if your such a good friend that your willing to do all this "information gathering" for, shes short on cash and all she needed was battery and and air filter why didnt you do it for her?

Its obvious to me that you're more interested in stirring shit up and doing burn outs than helping a friend in need.

2) And if your such a good friend that your willing to do all this "information gathering" for, shes short on cash and all she needed was battery and and air filter why didnt you do it for her?

Most auto parts store do a battery change for free. Why didnt she just do that? $400 is crazy.

I know, i told her most advance auto / autozone / etc. places will change the battery and possibly the air filter for you. The only reason she went there is her mom told her that she uses this guy and always gives her good prices and is a good mechanic, then he pulls this shit on her.

For whatever reason people tend to gravitate towards Mechanics there family has history with, even for simple stuff. I ran into this with my father a few years back, he was dead set on taking his car to the mechanic he's been with for years even though the shop had switched hands and he was clearly getting poor service. I guess some people just feel more comfortable leaving any and all car-related issues to a lone individual.

Known Tom for years. Stand up guy and honest - great mechanic. In fact many years ago I had a Firebird I owned then in for some minor service. While he had it, the auto transmission went out. Guess what Tom did? fixed it for free since it was in his possession. I refused to let him do that and insisted on paying for the parts and he covered labor. Can't get more honest than this.

There is another side to this story I am convinced.

BTW: I would not advise doing anything (burnout - which I assume was a joke) to him as was suggested, besides being a great guy he has had a huge tragedy in his life. A few years ago he lost five family members including (I think) his parents and several kids. This has no bearing on the post, but knowing Tom and knowing what he has been through, suggestions like this tend to really piss me off.

It was an inside joke. Slow yerr role player

I think george kinda covered this best. Im not saying your friend is lying fubar, but you really would be suplrised what shops can get away with charging people for the simplest shit. Hell i got told it would be like 5-600 to replace a ground wire that ran from the pcm to up to around the motor somewhere (foot and half long wire maybe?).

Now dont get me wrong, and maybe im reading into this wrong, but he did say that his friend was given an initial quote for less than the total ended up being. I dont know if there is any sory of law or anything on it, or if its the shops prefferance, but every shop ive had to take my car to, will always give you the initial quote, then will get ahold of you and let you know what they found with your new total before they even touch the car again.

Going by how i understand the story so far, that would be fucked up on said mechanics part. But then again, in the very recent past ive learned real quick that, until proven other wise, one must assume most people dont have common sense and she may have very well told him to just do whatever need be, and in which case, i dont feel sorry for her on any part of it.