'01 vs. '03-'04 Cobra

zeitgeist57

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned all three and the Z was by far faster then any of them. You apparently raced some not driving fucks. Not saying that it NEVER happens but the vette is light years more of race car then the Cobra.

Impossibles! NOBODY at CR is bad at the driving! heh

I love how we turn a Ford vs Ford thread into a LS pissing match.

LS, the new:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070625132813/uncyclopedia/images/5/5e/Attention-whore.jpg

Welp, I just came back from Akron, swung by Jim Keim to give it a test drive. Not even going to bother with one of my CR Reviews...I was not a fan. :thumbdown

- Seat was comfortable, but sitting position was reeeeally high, yet outward visibility was terrible. Driving ergonomics were lousy: instrument cluster pointing to the sky, shifter totally blocking the radio. Clutch take up was abrupt and modulating the action was too much of an effort for a smooth shift.

- COWL SHAKE COWL SHAKE COWL SHAKE COWL SHAKE COWL SHAKE

- The driver's door was sagging, Trunk hinge bolts were surface rusted like the panel had been swapped out???

- Acceleration was nice, exhaust note was great, but I was definitely expecting more.

- Mach 460 stereo was lousy, interior sound from convertible top was excessive.

- Body lines were really goofy-looking and cheap up close. Yellow is not a good color, as you see all the die press creases in the fender openings. Low miles have probably kept it from rusting already; corrosion is inevitable.

- rear wheel size and offset was goofy looking.

- rear seat looked to have a lot of room..............it didn't. The Mini had a more comfortable backseat. (If I'm not going to USE a backseat, I'll get a Corvette...I want a good backseat!!!)

- SUSPENSION SETTING: 4WD, OFF-ROAD, SNOW/SAND. I was looking for the active suspension settings to lower it, no switch to be found.

- Shifter was solid, but pattern was goofy.

I'm being harsh, but honest. For $14,988, it's a decent deal for what you get: a collectible convertible, RWD musclecar that is decently apportioned. However, I can't imagine a '90s Cobra/GT Mustang convertible being that much less of a car for 33-50% less on the price. My real question was: is the '03-'04 Termi Convertible that much better of a Mustang for $10k+ more?

What were you expecting from a convertible mustang?

It fucking had a sewer-pipe-diameter roll bar!!! My 1995 lowered Corvette had less shake with the top off and rear hatch popped!

This thing was mostly stock. I'm hoping that a lowered Cobra with improved suspension pieces, subframe connectors, and anything else in the BBK catalog would help it out in the structural rigidity department.

My truck has a tauter chassis than an SN95; yes, I have driven one - a '94 Cobra back in 1996. I talked the owner to install Koni, Eibach, braces, and a few more chassis improvements. His friend had a stock '94 C4 and the "modded" SN95 couldn't even get half the chassis stiffness of the C4. The rear axle felt so unsure and the front was only half a notch better. I dubbed it "suspension by Jell-o".

LOL at you guys thinking an 11 year old Mustang is not going to be a rattletastic straight line car. Hell, my '95 convertible is in fantastic shape but it still makes some shake noises, but still less than my Fox.

LOL at my 17-year old Corvette being more solid at 95k miles than a 28k-mile, top-of-the-line 2001 Mustang.

There are a lot of redeeming features of the Mustang...but I would rather look at a Fox-body convertible (with mods!) for less than half the price of this Cobra. I'd feel WAAAY better about living with the cowl shake! :lol:

LOL at my 17-year old Corvette being more solid at 95k miles than a 28k-mile, top-of-the-line 2001 Mustang.

There are a lot of redeeming features of the Mustang...but I would rather look at a Fox-body convertible (with mods!) for less than half the price of this Cobra. I'd feel WAAAY better about living with the cowl shake! :lol:

Agreed...

Simpler to work on, cheaper parts, and they will all feel like they are about to fall apart any second, why not save $1000's.

:fuckyeah:

...and that is why I'll never buy another one. You are talking about a car based on the Fox body that more than shows its age. It can be fixed but you are talking a LOT of mods. The only problem is if the miles are that low and the car doesn't feel right it was probably a wreck rebuild. Not saying it was but typically if things don't seem right something is WRONG.

Cowl shake or not, I have never been in a SN95+ Mustang that rattled as much as a C4 Corvette. Good luck buying another one of those...:p

If you want a solid, well built car that you won't hate....you've got to spend the money. There are not many cars built today that even at 5-years+ old aren't already feeling dated compared to MOST new cars these days...

Welp, I just came back from Akron, swung by Jim Keim to give it a test drive. Not even going to bother with one of my CR Reviews...I was not a fan. :thumbdown

- Seat was comfortable, but sitting position was reeeeally high, yet outward visibility was terrible. Driving ergonomics were lousy: instrument cluster pointing to the sky, shifter totally blocking the radio. Clutch take up was abrupt and modulating the action was too much of an effort for a smooth shift.

- The driver's door was sagging, Trunk hinge bolts were surface rusted like the panel had been swapped out???

- Acceleration was nice, exhaust note was great, but I was definitely expecting more.

- Mach 460 stereo was lousy, interior sound from convertible top was excessive.

- Body lines were really goofy-looking and cheap up close. Yellow is not a good color, as you see all the die press creases in the fender openings. Low miles have probably kept it from rusting already; corrosion is inevitable.

- rear wheel size and offset was goofy looking.

- rear seat looked to have a lot of room..............it didn't. The Mini had a more comfortable backseat. (If I'm not going to USE a backseat, I'll get a Corvette...I want a good backseat!!!)

- SUSPENSION SETTING: 4WD, OFF-ROAD, SNOW/SAND. I was looking for the active suspension settings to lower it, no switch to be found.

- Shifter was solid, but pattern was goofy.

I'm being harsh, but honest. For $14,988, it's a decent deal for what you get: a collectible convertible, RWD musclecar that is decently apportioned. However, I can't imagine a '90s Cobra/GT Mustang convertible being that much less of a car for 33-50% less on the price. My real question was: is the '03-'04 Termi Convertible that much better of a Mustang for $10k+ more?

You drove the wrong cobra, or mine was just that good. Sure, my c6z and ctsv are more comfortable, etc--but they are that much newer/more expensive--that's what I'd expect. But my '04 would rape-choke either of them in a straight line, which is quite simply, the only reason people buy these. Sounds like you need to buy a NEW car. Lol at driving 10 year old cars notorious for being run HARD and bitching because they're not 100% perfect. Let me guess, it had 7 different previous owners and 100k miles? It's probably seen a pulley, then port, then a couple different twinscrew combos, before being modded back to stock and traded in.

FYI, I smoked an exhaust/intake c5z from a roll, when I was at 13psi with stock exhaust, and I pretty much suck at racing.

And don't call it a fucking 'termi'.

Clay, I still vote for a Terminator, but today I worked out a deal and think I am taking in a 70k mile 99 Cobra convertible. (I run a Ford dealership in Cambridge)

Edit: Owned by an older couple, so it should be stock and clean.

I'll throw some pics up here tomorrow if I take it in, but I should be able to sell it atleast $4,000 cheaper than the one at Keim

You drove the wrong cobra, or mine was just that good. Sure, my c6z and ctsv are more comfortable, etc--but they are that much newer/more expensive--that's what I'd expect. But my '04 would rape-choke either of them in a straight line, which is quite simply, the only reason people buy these. Sounds like you need to buy a NEW car. Lol at driving 10 year old cars notorious for being run HARD and bitching because they're not 100% perfect. Let me guess, it had 7 different previous owners and 100k miles? It's probably seen a pulley, then port, then a couple different twinscrew combos, before being modded back to stock and traded in.

FYI, I smoked an exhaust/intake c5z from a roll, when I was at 13psi with stock exhaust, and I pretty much suck at racing.

And don't call it a fucking 'termi'.

This.

Ditto no problems baking fbods and C5s in my then stock 03 back in 2002 when I bought her new.

But I'm sure driving a 90s Mustang, or racing one today 10years later means you know what happened in 02. Because we all were making the hp and have the suspension and drivetrain mods we have today back in 02..........

CR - the kings of winter racing, selective memory and revisionist history.

PS - I love my CTS-V

PPS - Buy a nice clean used G8

Clay, I still vote for a Terminator, but today I worked out a deal and think I am taking in a 70k mile 99 Cobra convertible. (I run a Ford dealership in Cambridge)

Edit: Owned by an older couple, so it should be stock and clean.

I'll throw some pics up here tomorrow if I take it in, but I should be able to sell it atleast $4,000 cheaper than the one at Keim

We did get that car.

99 Cobra. White convertible with white top.

$10,900

I'll try and snap a few pics this afternoon