'01 vs. '03-'04 Cobra

zeitgeist57

I know little about pros and cons of late-model Mustangs, but I'm looking at an SVT Cobra and wanted to know the differences between the '01 and "Terminator"-supercharged 'Stangs. If I was going to buy a Mustang, I would definitely want to get a Cobra.

I wouldn't be drag-racing, so ultimate HP is not the goal. Looking for a good, long-life powertrain for highway/crusing that AT WORST would do some autocrossing. Eventually, it parts may get pulled, refreshed, and put into a Factory Five kit car down the road.

The '01s are noticably cheaper than the '03-'04s. Anything I should watch out for on a 2001 Cobra?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 99-04 Cobras (minus 00 and 02 since they don't exist), have IRS. 99/01s are overrated from the factory for the most part, they aren't that fast but you said you aren't looking for a lot of power. 03-04s are forged, supercharged, different head/cam combo, iron block yadda yadda. 99/01s have aluminum blocks, but are not forged except the cranks.

I guess that is Clay's decision to make. Is the 10K worth it to him?

He's also looking at convertibles, last I checked Vert Termi's weigh about 18,000lbs and aren't exactly going to blow the doors off of much.

If he's just looking to cruise around with a loud pipe'd V8 with the top down, who cares how much power it has?

Old School M/T Article:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/112_0405_2003_ford_mustang_cobra/viewall.html

0-60 mph, sec 4.9

1/4 mile, sec @ mph 13.12 @ 109.58

Not bad I guess.

01 Cobra:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2001-ford-svt-mustang-cobra-road-test-review

The Cobra scooted to 60 mph in only 4.8 seconds and through the quarter in 13.5 seconds at 105 mph
  • Upvote 1

I won't even acknowledge 99/01 Cobras in this response.

The market is up right now on Terminators, so honestly I'd consider other options (and I know you will, and will post threads about them before the weekend lol).

If it's something that's good at a little bit of everything yet not really great at anything and it won't be a primary kid hauler, I'd buy a used '11-'12 GT.

If the kids are going to be along for the ride quite a bit, but you still want some manliness when you hammer on it, I'd stick with your holy grail CTS-V.

If the kids won't see any seat time or will once at a time, I'd no doubt pick up a C5Z.

Jones hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't buy one unless it was a convertible. This is a C&C car, weekend/fair-weather daily driver that would get garage'd as soon as snow falls.

Down the road when it had 100k highway miles, I'd yank out everything I wanted for a Factory Five Cobra from this car (engine, tranny, wheels, wiring harness, rear suspension, etc). I'd know the guts and it would save me from having to buy crate components.

This is all "mental masturbation" anyway, but trying to keep my options open and know what to look for.

Why waste your money on an 03/04 cobra.. with boltons they make 550whp and get WALKED by stock C5Z's.

waste money? clay isn't even going to buy a car to be able to waste money. this is just another useless "what car should i buy that im not actually going to" thread

:dumb: