'01 vs. '03-'04 Cobra

zeitgeist57

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking, there were tons of deals on Verts. Most guys prefer the coupe. Wait till October and you should be able to find an 03-04 convertible Cobra for ~14k.

Don't waste time with an 01. They are SOMEWHAT close in ET from the factory, but $1,000 worth of mods make the Terminator a whole different level of car.

Terminator all the way. Otherwise, you should go with a base gt vert and add whatever you want if you should decide you want more power, or to autocross, etc

You might as well consider the terminator a 525hp car, because you will not find a stock one in your price range. 525hp, built motor, 6 speed, beefed up IRS, etc. it's a no brainer

Im with Kirk, terminator all the way. You won't regret it. About to turn 80k on my CO cobra, alot being highway miles since that car is my road trip car and she's still kicking just fine. In fact, think I'll be at next weeks C&C with it.

Fake thread or not, not much credit given to the '01 cars when really they aren't that bad. They will still run great with basic mods and a driver like almost anything in that category. Many have gone 11's with bolt-on's N/A...

Hard to argue when comparing it to a Termi. Then again, I loved my '03 but would never buy another one. It all depends on your purpose for the car....if you are going to gut it for a kit car down the road, it won't matter which you choose...

The yella one at Jim Keim was my reason for the thread. :)

Nice day out...mebbe CR needs another review. :D I had a blast driving Cordell's Miata...been thinking alot about a convertible. On beautiful days I miss my Corvette's targa top!

CTS-V or not, I will do a Factory Five at some point. My renewed thinking is that a good Mustang convertible would be a decent kid-haulin' fun car that I could part out when I'm ready for the kit Cobra...with family, flying, and work I don't know when I would have the time to devote to a kit car in the next few years. I see too many threads on FFROG of guys that have to sell mothball'd Cobra kits that they haven't touched in over a year...don't wanna be that guy.

I'm barely keeping the Cleetus "rolling project" on a track for completion as it is! :(

• Downvote 1

If you can get the right deal on an 01, I don't see anything wrong with it as a simple cruiser. The IRS helps the car handle more predictably and it stops better than the typical GT. IRS cars ride a lot better, even with sportier springs and shocks. I had an 01 IRS swap in my 99 GT and I'd do it again in a hartbeat. I have actually considered an 01 Cobra (hard top) as a DD at times.

That being said, if you're only talking a few grand difference I'd probably go with the 03+ for resale value if nothing else.

Mine made a couple hp, just needed and auto to be efficient but by the time I was done with it I hated it.

That's actually a big part of why I think an 01 might be a better choice for me. Significantly less potential might keep me actually driving it instead of modding it until I hate it.

47510_1421159175105_3848139_n.jpg

Mine made a couple hp, just needed and auto to be efficient but by the time I was done with it I hated it.

41216_1421153854972_7564534_n.jpg

That's because you turned it into an all out race car by changing everything. Built motor, SRA, turbo etc.....

I am loling at all the revisionist history about Term's getting walked by C5s, etc. Considering I didn't lose to ONE the entire time I owned mine, and yeah quite a few were from CR. Ditto Fbods and a couple (RIP) Buicks. Only loss I suffered was an LS powered Miata.

Sold it in 05 for a CTS-V. The V is a better family car, the Terminator was more fun.

..and GM is apparently still suffering from penis envy.

I am loling at all the revisionist history about Term's getting walked by C5s, etc. Considering I didn't lose to ONE the entire time I owned mine, and yeah quite a few were from CR. Ditto Fbods and a couple (RIP) Buicks. Only loss I suffered was an LS powered Miata.

Sold it in 05 for a CTS-V. The V is a better family car, the Terminator was more fun.

..and GM is apparently still suffering from penis envy.

I've owned all three and the Z was by far faster then any of them. You apparently raced some not driving fucks. Not saying that it NEVER happens but the vette is light years more of race car then the Cobra.