subaru, honda questions

ls1plus

I still pull 29.7 mpg with my legacy. I have had a 1999 and a 2007. Both have been over 25mpg. Subaru is not what you look at if you are chasing mpg. But, that are not too bad. I will continue to own them so far as I can see.

Im not after 50mpg(exaggeration ) over 20 avg is what im shooting for. The best my Toyota has done was 20.9 actual average, so was hoping something at least that

From June 2- through September 3, I drove 10,853 miles. Without any effort at all, I can be at 22mpg and cruise around doing 80+ on the highway, or zooming around in the city. Setting the cruise control at 74/75 (by gps) will get me 25/26 mpg. Setting it at 71mph will get me 29 mpg.

My Legacy is bolt on's, and a tune from IPS. The tune was $400+, pretty standard for a tune. But I make my money back on the fun drive ability and MPG. I clean the intake filter as it needs it and always see the differance there.

Now my last Legacy, a 1999GT, only had a K an N drop in air filter. That car was 25MPG all day everyday. But I never drove fast in it. 72MPH felt like you needed to shift into 8th gear. It was geared that low.

All these numbers are with the AC blowing cold.

Oh, and I finally get my dad to buy a 2008 Outback Prez. He drives like he has a flat tire, he's just a slooooooooow driver all the time. Has driven 6,000 miles this year, and gets 31ish MPG. Bone stock car, with old man driver added.

Really? I know you dont have a base legacy, but wtf did you do to get that? I want to find a way to gain some mpgs if possible. Being that i just wanted something comfortable, IDC if its slow

Legacy b spec iirc. If it has been tuned, that might help. His may also be geared differently on the highway. May be cruising at a lower rpm.

Get a w-body car. I have a bonneville (bigger and heavier than the w bodies) it averages 22 around town and 32 on the freeway. Not to mention the 3800 is bulletproof. Even if something does go wrong, every junk yard has about 30 of em so parts are plentiful and cheap. Hell i picked a 50k mile motor from intake to oil pan for 700.

honda cars hold thier value, for good reason. The only thing i would stay away from is early 2000 automatic accords, like the 3800 GM cars the engines are bulletproof, but those tannies ar hit and misss.

I still pull 29.7 mpg with my legacy. I have had a 1999 and a 2007. Both have been over 25mpg. Subaru is not what you look at if you are chasing mpg. But, that are not too bad. I will continue to own them so far as I can see.

This.

My 2004 Legacy (ewinters just sold it to someone here) would get 27-29mpg highway- It was an NA. My outback XT gets 24-25mpg highway and is a turbo.

Hondas aren't bad cars, i have nothing against them other than they are boring econoboxs. They will do exactly what you want. Moderately comfortable, good mpg.

Something not talked about that is kind of a given. Everyone hears AWD and assumes, it's great in the Winter. Subaru are good, yup.

To make them great, put Winter tires on. It's a whole other level of driving. Do it right, and the safety and confidance can't be matched. I love bad weather. I'll park on your roof. It's that kind of feeling. I have about $1200 in my Winter wheels and tires. So that is an expense for me as well.

FYI, I'm driving to Columbus now. Fresh and clean intake filter. Cruise is set at 75mph, putting me at 2800rpm in 6th gear. MPG is reading 26.4 and I'm 53 miles into my commute. Everything was reset to zero before I left this morning. AC is on too.

Edited by Mojoe

• 2 weeks later...