Any "Travel Hackers"

iwishiwascool

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, maybe I'll get to let you know how it is. I saw the million mile secrets guy review it, looks awesome.

That's where I heard about it. Sounded like he liked it better than the Hilton resort. Definitely let me know.

Right now I'm trying to plan a beach resort vacation for the second week of May. Gotta be Hilton and gotta be a cheap flight since right now I have zero airline miles. I'm looking at either Sandestin, FL, Siesta Key (Sarasota) FL, or Nassau, Bahamas.

It's looking like I waited too long to do the spend on my Citi Hilton cards (I did the 50,000 point/6 month/$1500 unpublished deal) and even though I'm within the claimed 6 month timeframe my points aren't posting, and since it was an unpublished deal I can't really call and bitch. Right now I've got 59,000 points and I'll need 145,000 for a 4 day AXON award. I think I'll shoot for the AMEX Hilton Surpass for another 60,000 and gold, then probably one of the Hawaiian Airlines or Virgin Airlines cards to do a transfer. Dunno what I'll do for airfare. I could get a 50,000 Southwest card to cover flying to Northwest FL airport to go to Sandestin, or Airtran is dirt cheap to pay to go to Nassau or Sarasota.

There are 2 PC properties in Bora Bora, 1 in Moorea, and at least one in Tahiti. All are wonderful, except a trip to Moorea is best spent at the Hilton. If you're looking to go just let me know. I've stayed at the Hilton Moorea, and Intercontenental in Faa. One of my good friends just got back from his second trip to Bora Bora and he's stayed at both IC's each time, and this time made a stop at the IC in Moorea.

That's a great points bonus! Over the winter time they used to do their best promotions. Almost every year I would get double (one time even triple) points for 2.5 months of hotel stays. Just be aware that if you register for a promotion you may need to check out for 24 hours, then check back in for it to take effect.

So I buy gift cards for clients that order steel from me, or others that are likely to (The south is a good old boy network and nothing gets you in better than cash money).

I just found this on the Priority Rewards Center:

http://www.priorityclub.com/rewards/us/en/redeem/details/gift-cards/GC025

11k points per gift card of which I buy 3 or so of per week. Jackpot. I'll have hotel stays for a year soon.

what kind of steel do you sell?

what kind of steel do you sell?

Wear plate, shafting, bar stock, hardened pipe, etc. I sell to paper mills, power plants, chemical plants, mining operations, and any other heavy industrial application. I'm in a new "city" each night. It was Montgomery, Al last night but I started the week near Memphis.

So far this year I have flown 125,000 miles and have stayed over 100 nights in hotels. I put everything I can into United and Hilton with National Rental Car as my car.

I just booked 4 tickets to Maui for $40 (taxes) for next July and I have 2 of the nights covered in the Waldorf Astoria, Maui.

If you concentrate on it, this can be a great way to have some great vacations for loyalty.

This month I am in Minneapolis, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Vegas and then I go to Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Manila in Nov.

So far this year I have flown 125,000 miles and have stayed over 100 nights in hotels. I put everything I can into United and Hilton with National Rental Car as my car.

I just booked 4 tickets to Maui for $40 (taxes) for next July and I have 2 of the nights covered in the Waldorf Astoria, Maui.

If you concentrate on it, this can be a great way to have some great vacations for loyalty.

This month I am in Minneapolis, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Vegas and then I go to Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Manila in Nov.

You go to much sexier places than me. Jelly.

I travel so much my wife bought a big 10 x 12 world map and I put pins in wherever I have been. This year I will probably finish the year with 155k miles flown.

I have mine mapped out on a screen at home so my baby can see where I am. (GeoPointe for Salesforce is awesome)

A friend of mine did the southwest 50k pts x2 as reported in Million Mile Secrets. He owes copperhead a thanks for referring me to that email.

I have some spending minimums to hit but after that I'll be looking at the next big AA miles card. We might do Bora Bora in April and Paris in September if we get enough points going here. That should give me enough time to figure out how to actually redeem these things.

Ken, if your friend hasn't done the spend yet on the Southwest cards see if they have time to wait until after the first of the year. If not then they need to earn another 10,000 before the end of the year to get the companion pass. This allows someone to travel with them for free in coach, its good for the remainder of the year that they earn the points and the following year. You have to earn 110,000 in a calendar year to get it, which is why they would be better off doing the spend in January

edit - more info:

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2012/07/churning-your-way-to-the-southwest-companion-pass.html

Edited by copperhead

• 2 weeks later...

American Express just came out with a new debit card type of thing called Bluebird. You can use it like a normal spending card for every day use, and it also has a bill pay option. You can pay your mortgage, student loans, credit cards, whatever with it. You get a starter pack from Walmart then get on their website and request a permanent card. It's $5 for the starter pack plus whatever you want for the initial funding. The details for funding it are in the link below, but most of the options require a debit card or cash. The trick is you can fund it with Vanilla reloads. Generally you can buy these with credit cards at Office Depot but the closest one is in Marion. Does anyone know anywhere in the Columbus area that allows you to buy Vanilla with credit card? If so, this is the way to pay for EVERYTHING with a points generating card.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/10/22/american-express-bluebird/

You guys usually go to Hawaii right? Have you ever been to Maui? If not, remind me the next time I'm over there and I can tell you about some of the stuff we did there that we really liked. :)

American Express just came out with a new debit card type of thing called Bluebird. You can use it like a normal spending card for every day use, and it also has a bill pay option. You can pay your mortgage, student loans, credit cards, whatever with it. You get a starter pack from Walmart then get on their website and request a permanent card. It's $5 for the starter pack plus whatever you want for the initial funding. The details for funding it are in the link below, but most of the options require a debit card or cash. The trick is you can fund it with Vanilla reloads. Generally you can buy these with credit cards at Office Depot but the closest one is in Marion. Does anyone know anywhere in the Columbus area that allows you to buy Vanilla with credit card? If so, this is the way to pay for EVERYTHING with a points generating card.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/10/22/american-express-bluebird/

I just got the email for this... really wishing I had gotten a Chase Ink Bold for the 5x. The Sapphire only gets me 1x.

I'm starting to plan a trip to the big island for next year. Where have you stayed on the big island?

Kona side, Kona Seaside Hotel, Hilton Waikoloa Village

Hilo side, Hilo Seaside Hotel

Volcano campgrounds.

Camped out in Orchid Lands too.

I'm starting to plan a trip to the big island for next year. Where have you stayed on the big island?

Get a hold of me sometime too. We've only been there once staying in Kona the whole time, but we went literally everywhere on the island.

I highly suggest making it a longer trip and visiting more than 1 island if it makes sense. For us, with all of the places we want to go it was a likely once in a lifetime trip (as are most places). With the time and expense of the flights and overall trip we wanted to make the most out of the trip. We spent 6 nights on Hawaii in Kona and 5 nights on Maui, 2 in Hana and 3 in Lahaina. I really liked that we spent so much time there and stayed at different places. Every one of them had a much different feel.

Kona side, Kona Seaside Hotel, Hilton Waikoloa Village

Hilo side, Hilo Seaside Hotel

Volcano campgrounds.

Camped out in Orchid Lands too.

What did you think of Waikola Village? I'll be traveling with points (and a 2 year old) and it looks like this is about the only place to stay. I have both HHonors and Priority Club.

P.S. That Bluebird card looks great if they don't shut it down. I'm going to have to get one.

I just got the email for this... really wishing I had gotten a Chase Ink Bold for the 5x. The Sapphire only gets me 1x.

Points are points. I have nothing with chase yet. I'm going to see if Kroger or Marc's grocery will let me get vanilla cards on a cc so I can get 6x Hilton points

What did you think of Waikola Village? I'll be traveling with points (and a 2 year old) and it looks like this is about the only place to stay. I have both HHonors and Priority Club.

P.S. That Bluebird card looks great if they don't shut it down. I'm going to have to get one.

Its great for kids. Safe, easy to navigate and loads to do. 2 is a bit young though. Its sort of isolated so its expensive.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60608-d89980-r76322941-Hilton_Waikoloa_Village-Waikoloa_Kohala_Coast_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

• 2 months later...

I just got back from my UK trip and they said the 'points' (priority club) only get credit for North America rentals, do you know a trick around that?