Home LED bulbs

zeitgeist57

I have a thousand recessed can lights in my house, and for some reason I'm losing 65w and 40w flood bulbs like they were at Chernobyl a few years back.

Is there a site that has great deals on decent quality bulk LED bulbs? Lowes, Amazon have floods at $25 and up...holy sH!t that's a lot for a bulb...and I need like 8 of them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Oh yes, they are all on non-electronic dimmer switches...I tried WalMart dimmable CFL's and they sucked. Thanks!

I have a thousand recessed can lights in my house, and for some reason I'm losing 65w and 40w flood bulbs like they were at Chernobyl a few years back.

Is there a site that has great deals on decent quality bulk LED bulbs? Lowes, Amazon have floods at $25 and up...holy sH!t that's a lot for a bulb...and I need like 8 of them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Oh yes, they are all on non-electronic dimmer switches...I tried WalMart dimmable CFL's and they sucked. Thanks!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/

Great site with good selection. In a living area I wouldn't go over 3,100k or so. 3,500k is where the cut off becomes a bit too white for my tastes. I have gone 3,500 in the laundry room and kitchen area where we cook. The seating area no, 3100 otherwise you'll feel like you're in a waiting room at the hospital.

Brightness =\= CRI

Color Rendition Index is how close the color is to the sun...your eyes make it appear to be brighter...but realistically its not.

I personally like 3000k.

Check your local utility for rebates...DP&L are throwing out rebates left and right for LEDs, motion control sensors...etc

Look into it

Why not CFLs? They are 3-5X as effecient as standard bulbs. There are some serious cost savings if you change all the bulbs in your house. Theyre also brighter. They are relatively inexpensive at 4 for 2$ at home depot.

edit, nvm. LEDs are like 10X as effecient.

If money is not a factor. LEDs are definately the way to go. I have had a really low light LED light in my kitchen that has not been turned off in 5 years.

I use it as a (stumble thru dark in middle of night light)

I do wish the LEDs were more affordable tho.

Check your local utility for rebates...DP&L are throwing out rebates left and right for LEDs, motion control sensors...etc

Look into it

Thanks, Kyle! Quick Google search uncovered this:

https://www.aepohio.com/save/programs/Lighting.aspx?ctype=h

Looks promising!

Thanks, Kyle! Quick Google search uncovered this:

https://www.aepohio.com/save/programs/Lighting.aspx?ctype=h

Looks promising!

The Anderson's General Store also has a slew of AEP Subsidized bulbs. Just keep an eye on the color temp. to insure you don't get the cheap hotel yellow looking 2700k ones.

Last time I checked (a few months ago) running the numbers, it was still less expensive to run CFLs.

I took into consideration the least expensive bulb I could find of each, Watt consumption of each, cost per kwh thru my provider, and life expectancy per bulb.

CFL's are defintiley cheaper and very efficient, I just hate the warm up period. I have a buddy who did a kitchen with 10 can lights, where he did 8 CFL's and 2 LED to get the instant on light from the LED's.

Yeh, it seems ambient temp greatly affects initial brightness.

The wife keeps the house between 75 and hell upstairs, so they come on right away. But my basement and outdoor lights suck when you first turn them on.

I'll eventually make the leap to LEDs. Just waiting on prices to come down a little more. I bet next year on Earth day there will be some deals to be had.

We switched our entire house to CFL's. I got a 48 pack (24 100w, 24 60w) from ebay for like $1.25 or so a bulb. So far, I've only had a few fail and after emailing them the ebay invoice they mailed replacements no problem. I also bought a "contractor pack" of twenty 100w CFL's from home depot and out of the first box they all failed in less than a year. After complaining to their customer service they sent me a gift card for another twenty box from home depot and so far the ones from the second box are lasting much better.

The few LED lights i've tried just don't put out the light given their watt rating like the CFL does so i've returned them.