Any one with CPD or law enforcement guys on here?

bucd

Ok...before anyone calls me stupid or an idiot.....i already know that i made a stupid mistake.

So....answered a CL's ad for a car and well....i fell for what this guy was feeding me. Long story short, left the guy $500 deposit and you know the rest.

I have filed a police report with CPD, i'm sure petty things like this will probably never get resolved. But the guys gotten more then a few people on CL, and he's changed his number at least once and reposted other cars again. So would love to get some advice/input from anyone here and maybe put a stop to this scammer.

thanks in advance,

-D

I dont know if dragknee is still on here or not. What info do you have from him? I can try to do a little digging

Got a pic of the car he was driving with license plate. The name he was using. He didn't have his ID with him and showed me a few CC with the name he was using, so could be stolen CC. And two phone numbers that he's used (i'm sure both are now disconnected) Most likely "burner" phones.

Phone numbers that he's used 614-813-5503 and 614-813-7787

he may have another guy that runs this scam with him.

When he used 614-813-5503, he went by the name of Bryan Wood. This was confirmed by at least 3 people that he used the same name.

here's a posting i put up with a pic of him and his car.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3411461712.html

looks like someone likes to flag my post. here's a repost

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3414821829.html

thanks,

-D

Edited by bucd

U have any documentation for the deposit on the car? Didn't just give him $500 good faith did ya?

Yeah..i had him write up a note that i was leaving a deposit and will pay the rest upon pickup.

We both signed it, not sure if that will do much. But i have that.

-D

I certainly wouldn't have any friends answer similar ads, track the guy down, and beat the dog shit out of him or anything hasty like that. That would be something I could never recommend. I'm sure the police will be able to track down this individual, punish appropriately, and make sure restitution is paid.

I wish you good luck, and hope for the best.

Have a friend try to call one of the CL postings

Follow him to view the car.

Stay hidden.

Follow scumbag back to his house.

Wait until 3am.

Kick in front door with several well-armed friends.

Have more friend enter house through windows or aback door.

(I am thinking a full on SWAT type home invasion)

Get money back and any thing else of value in the house as "interest" on the $500 loan.

double tap.... forehead.

Pour gallons and gallons of gasoline in each room of house.

Start a fire.

Feel vindicated.....

Finish

I certainly wouldn't have any friends answer similar ads, track the guy down, and beat the dog shit out of him or anything hasty like that. That would be something I could never recommend. I'm sure the police will be able to track down this individual, punish appropriately, and make sure restitution is paid.

:fuckyeah:

Have a friend try to call one of the CL postings

Follow him to view the car.

Stay hidden.

Follow scumbag back to his house.

Wait until 3am.

Kick in front door with several well-armed friends.

Have more friend enter house through windows or aback door.

(I am thinking a full on SWAT type home invasion)

Get money back and any thing else of value in the house as "interest" on the $500 loan.

double tap.... forehead.

Pour gallons and gallons of gasoline in each room of house.

Start a fire.

Feel vindicated.....

Finish

well that escalated quickly lol

I did get someone to txt him about one two days ago, and was ready to meet up with him. But I think he caught on, was suppose to meet up yesterday in the morning and the guy stopped txting him.

Meeting spot was to be over on westerville and sunbury.

So far the guys posted ads under Gahanna, Johnstown, Columbus. I believe he lives just north of Gahanna from the first guy that I talked that got scammed by him as well.

-D

I run a dealership and I wont even hold a car with a deposit.

Pay me or GTFO. First come first serve bitches.

Oh and good luck. I dont predict you seeing your money again.

We do deposit upon agreed price, and never more than 24hr hold. It was difficult to explain why to a lady who wanted us to hold a car for 3 weeks, but refused to agree to a price.

OP, good luck. Sounds like this dude is going to get what's coming to him; you may not recover funds, but I think given the e-trail this moron's left behind there will be a way to track him.

Have you tried doing a web search on the name or number? You may be able to get some info online like an address or something.

Yes and other ads came up on other sites, some for car stereo and i figured it was legit.

Name is too common, i even tried looking up on http://www.fcmcclerk.com

for any potential speeding tickets under the name and trying to match it to how old

i think he is and just too many Bryan Wood.

-D

We do deposit upon agreed price, and never more than 24hr hold. It was difficult to explain why to a lady who wanted us to hold a car for 3 weeks, but refused to agree to a price.

OP, good luck. Sounds like this dude is going to get what's coming to him; you may not recover funds, but I think given the e-trail this moron's left behind there will be a way to track him.

Yeah, i'm not hopeful on my cash. The main reason I posted this is to try and see if the guy can be caught or if this is so petty that nothing will come of it.

thank you all for the responses.

-D

Sucks dude. What was his reason for a deposit instead of just paying for the whole thing? Or were you the one who asked if he would take a deposit?

My dad was stupid enough to fall for one of those over sea military stories where you wire the seller money and they ship the flawless car to you. He had cash in hand ready to wire it until i told him he was retarded and that he would never see the car or his money again.

Have you tried doing a web search on the name or number? You may be able to get some info online like an address or something.

Just reminded me. You try to True Caller app? I don't know what kind of phone you have or how it works on an iPhone but it's awesome for my Droid.

Yes and other ads came up on other sites, some for car stereo and i figured it was legit.

Name is too common, i even tried looking up on http://www.fcmcclerk.com

for any potential speeding tickets under the name and trying to match it to how old

i think he is and just too many Bryan Wood.

-D

I just did the same. Was your CL post a picture of the guy? If so, would you say 6'2" 200 LBS, white guy 35 years old? If so, Bryan P Wood of 848 S Wayne Ave might be your dude, busted in 2001 doing 44 in a 25.

Also, there's an officer in Franklin Co Sheriff's office named Bryan E Wood, so that filters out quite a few of those results.

what kind of car btw? and a deposit with no photo ID, youch.

On a related note I offered and sent a $500 down payment to a guy in Dayton for my last SC300 (no I.D. no nothing, first name basis). He had it priced ridiculously low and I knew it was probably going to be gone by the time I could get up there to take a look. Thought for sure he was just going to bail with my money and sell it to someone else, but nope, he held the car for a week and I came and got it :). So yea, there are good people on craigslist. Best thing to do on craigslist is contact the seller multiple times via phone. A voice to voice convo usually brings out all but the best scammmers.