Corvette's and Porche's

Tindall2006

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say go with a C5. Going to have good handling with a little amount of money thrown into the suspension, same with speed, parts for C5's aren't cheap however. Shit, they are fun in stock form. I would rock a C5 Z in a heartbeat. Or try and find one that was already built, but that's just me. I love Porsche's but to me the cheaper ones aren't as fun for what you pay, they handle well, but I'm a big guy, a Porsche just seems too small in my eyes, most models in that price range I would assume.

DSM..never owned one, but all my die-hard DSM friends hate the reliability issue...

But just my 2 cents.

Corvette would be cheaper to own and more bang for you buck than a porche at your price range..

This...

The porsche you are going to get for under $20k, is either going to be an air-cooled nightmare; a slow water-cooled 996 and/or high mileage. It will not be fast, and to make it fast will cost a LOT more money than you can for the same performance on a c5. Porsche's are great cars, but if you are performance/go fast oriented, they will cost a lot more money, both in terms of parts, and maintenance. And for the DIY'er, they are more of a pain to work on/tinker with. So if you're budget oriented, but want to go fast, the C5 is a MUCH better purchase.

I bought my Boxster S with 59K miles for 16.2K. It was a nice car. The cost of ownership on a Porsche is a nightmare. They break, and are expensive to fix. Impossible to mod, unless you have a trust fund. I've never owned a Corvette, so I can't comment on those, but I think they're point and click.

The only Porsche you'll see with that money is a Boxter, and the guy who buys one of those over a Corvette has a case of the dumb.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=5575

Though deep down... I still wish I just had my old Talon TSI AWD... That car was more fun then my bike...

Comments?

I am actually surprised to hear someone say that. I have lost two DSM friends to motorcycles and they would say the bikes are more fun.

I will say this, I went cruising for a couple hours yesterday with my buddy, (we both own 1ga DSM's) and it was a rather exhilarating afternoon. Built DSM's on big turbos at 30psi ='s a lot of fun...

I know that you get more life points for owning a slow vette than a mitsu sh*tbox, but I will take the 0 life points to be able to beat a V8 with less money into the project ;)

Oh, I should add the caveat that if you are looking to keep 'stock' or not make 'fast'/heavily modify, and dont mind the maintenance cost... the Porsche is a nice car to drive around, and will 'score' more points with non-car people... if that is important to you.

(i.e. girls/non-car guys will be more impressed to hear "oh you have a porsche?!" than a corvette... and if it is a 996 and looks more modern that goes a ways as well.) However if you dont care about a stranger's perception... I see no reason to buy an under $20k Porsche....

I think it is mostly is my talon is my first "fast" car I owned. I bought it in peices and would go out to dig the snow out of it to work on it. I eventually modded it to have a built engine and all that stuff and was about ready to start making some serious power, but a Drunk driver hit me and took it away. I think I am more pissed because I never got to finish what I started.

I also liked how I would show up and I was normally the only 1Ga guy there, and if I wasn't mine was always the cleanest! haha.

I never had many reliability issues, I drove that car cross country on more then on occasion. I also wouldn't consider the tranny breaking for a 5k launch being a reliability issue as it would be just a risk you have to take.

I really haven't looked at any porches, or anything really other then a C5, or F body. I came accross a talon like mine and though hhhmm....

P.S. I'm a blackhawk pilot for the army so that is a bunch of life points... on top of that I am in a medevac unit... I don't need a stinking car to compensate for life points! :slap:

Oh, I should add the caveat that if you are looking to keep 'stock' or not make 'fast'/heavily modify, and dont mind the maintenance cost... the Porsche is a nice car to drive around, and will 'score' more points with non-car people... if that is important to you.

(i.e. girls/non-car guys will be more impressed to hear "oh you have a porsche?!" than a corvette... and if it is a 996 and looks more modern that goes a ways as well.) However if you dont care about a stranger's perception... I see no reason to buy an under $20k Porsche....

I don't really need the cool point, you have a badass car. I really like compliments from car guys then girls... I actually dumped a girl because she said she didn't like my rusted out 4wd truck. I told her she was a materialist bitch and to get out haha!

I just remember I had a ton of fun smoking all the lightly modded mustang guys, F body guys, and a ton of ricers in a 800 dollar car!

since you can be stationed at various army bases around the country, I would personally just get the vette since you know that you will be able to find parts easily all across the country.

regarding the girl, lay the pipe right and you can drive a moped if you want.

Idk about you guys but if you try to use your car to pick up a chick then she's out if you league to begin with... I'm not a people pleaser by any means and rather enjoy a sick car then have a wow factory coming from strangers... For a true car enthusiasts it's not how your car looks.. But how she performs!