Comments/opinions on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

Rustlestiltskin

I'm possibly going to be buying a 2007 chevy Tahoe LTZ tomorrow to be the family hauler.

I test drove it with the wife today and we both really liked it.

It is fully loaded with all the bells n whistles.

Has the 5.3l v8 w/ 74k miles.

I'm getting a very good deal on it.

What all should I look for in these vehicles? What are the Pros/Cons? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Looks exactly like this

http://i.imgur.com/PY7B1.jpg

Thanks

I have been looking at these as well as the yukons, denalis and escalades for the past year and a half. Prices are all over the place. Seen mint 07's going for $18,900-35k. Theres a local one with 198kmiles going for under $14k. The ltz's are definately nicer than the regular tahoes but for what I am seeing you can get a denali or escalade for under $20k and they seem to have a better resell value. Unfortunately they do have the bigger ltr engine. Dealers seem to be pricing them consistantly with each other and hard to get them to budge.

An issue I have seen with about 75% of the ones I look at are the tabs for the rear window defrost are broken off. The coiled wiring attaching them just doesnt seem long enough or the connection isnt soldered together well.

Thats pretty common, most of them can be soldered back on. Some of them have to get the rear glass replaced if it won't stay.

Most issues should be obvious, they tend to have leaks from the front diff and right above the oil filter there is a block off plate that leaks. Watch out for a loose wheel bearing as I've seen multiple that get a little loose and then fall apart. If it has AFM (active fuel management) keep the oil fresh and full, and be prepared for the risk of stuck lifters and broken valvesprings. They also seem to need EVAP vent solenoids more then most.

Overall they aren't bad trucks, let me know if you have questions while you own it.

Is that Chebys cylinder deactivation terminology?

Yup.

What should I look for on a LTZ with 74k on it? What maintenance should be done around this mileage Scott?

Technically GM says that you should wait untill 100k to flush fluids and do spark plugs. If it hasn't been done I'd do it now, make sure if you do the transfer case that you use GM fluid, and Dex 6 in the trans. Personally I'd get some all makes and models Prestone for the coolant rather then the gelatin Dexcool. Other then inspecting items for wear, like the seperate A/C belt people seem to forget, there isn't really anything special to do. Use quality fluids and change the oil often and it should be a good vehicle for you.

My dad bought a 2007 Avalanche back in late 2010. Had 53,500mi on it and it has been 100% trouble free and comfy as hell. I personally have put a good 30k on it in the past 18 months moving and driving cross country for family issues.

The only thing that even remotely has begun to need replaced are the tires, brakes and currently the LF wheel bearing is speaking up. It is so quiet in that truck that you have to be absolutely quiet to hear it.

Overall it has been an amazingly stable truck. Stabilitrak will make sure your wifey stays safe. You can disable it by holding traction off till it flashes stabilitrak off(8-10 sec.) then you are drift king in the snow. His truck has auto 4wd and when I drove to Kansas in the snow almost 2 years ago, I was averaging 75-80 mph on 2-1/2 inches of snow (Not saying you should, but you can(late night and during snow emergencies, lol)). It is so sure footed.

On the same deal as the last paragraph, it drives so smooth that you MUST keep an eye on your speedo, you can be cruising at 85 and not even think it - the harshness is not there like in some other vehicles.

The 5.3l does well, I towed my fathers boat down here earlier this summer and it laughed at the hills down 77 (and gas gauge laughed at me).

TL, DR?

My father has one, I drive it a lot cause he is lazy. I would buy it off him in a heartbeat. Except it is a 4spd with 4.11 gears and they now have 6 spds (thanks Cordell) with lower 3.xx gears. Gas economy is not extremely good, but the only time you will care is at the pump.

Edited by Steve R.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Z3ZA7Pluw

My father has one, I drive it a lot cause he is lazy. I would buy it off him in a heartbeat. Except it is a 4spd with 4.11 gears and they now have 5 spds with lower 3.xx gears. Gas economy is not extremely good, but the only time you will care is at the pump.

FYI they are 6 speed automatics, though I am not clear on what if anything they did to the rear gear.

Well Just picked it up today guys.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/Dubs740/4040CF70-739A-48EE-B7F9-83827CCB20B3-14148-00000D7556D30642.jpg

First thing I'm going to do is to plastidip the front bowtie and remove the back along with the old inspection sticker.

Already ordered weathertech floor liners for the whole SUV (front/rear seats and cargo area)

Edited by Rustlestiltskin