PC stopped posting

mrs.cos

My brain is super foggy right now from whatever I've got and I can't fathom what's happened with my pc.

I turned on the monitor last night to email someone and realized my mouse and keyboard weren't on. Everything was fine on screen. I checked my connections and they were fine.

I did a hard reboot and nothing happened.

I can hear everything spinning up, but my monitors don't kick back on and it's not posting or giving me error codes..

I don't have the energy to fix it right now, but could use some ideas on what to check when I do.

No new hardware or anything in recent past (more than 6-8 months)

My brain is super foggy right now from whatever I've got and I can't fathom what's happened with my pc.

I turned on the monitor last night to email someone and realized my mouse and keyboard weren't on. Everything was fine on screen. I checked my connections and they were fine.

I did a hard reboot and nothing happened.

I can hear everything spinning up, but my monitors don't kick back on and it's not posting or giving me error codes..

I don't have the energy to fix it right now, but could use some ideas on what to check when I do.

No new hardware or anything in recent past (more than 6-8 months)

I had this happen recently. Unplugged all my accessories, rebooted and it powered up just fine. Turned out to be a conflict with an external drive I have. Been fine since. I swear it had/has something to do with a recent set of Microsoft Win 7 updates.

POST = Power on Self Test as in the first time it beeps If its not even POSTING then its not a windows update that caused it its a hardware error.

I would try unplugging EVERYTHING external minus a monitor and seeing if anything happens. You might also wanna try disconnect the monitor and it should a beep code error for no monitor

POST = Power on Self Test as in the first time it beeps If its not even POSTING then its not a windows update that caused it its a hardware error.

I would try unplugging EVERYTHING external minus a monitor and seeing if anything happens. You might also wanna try disconnect the monitor and it should a beep code error for no monitor

Gotcha. Don't know for sure, but since the last round of updates, if leave one particular external drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port it won't boot at all. Does exactly what Trish noted, no beep, just a blank screen and a flicking LED for the HD. Nothing at all ever. Unplug the drive and bingo, she boots. I hate all the Windows updates that get sent out.

What is the brand and model? or is it a home built system. If you don't think that it is posting start with the following troubleshooting step.

Unplug everything possible so that you only have the motherboard, RAM, and Processsor. No drives or any other cards (other than video if you don't have onboard).

Power on and see what happens.

If it still isn't posting remove all but 1 stick of RAM and try again.

Ok, so i pulled it all out and pulled it apart.. i forgot this board actually has a post number LED screen (i fuckking love that by the way, no counting beeps)

for future info its a EVGA 750i SLI board.

Post Code is 02

Manual Reads-- Jumps to E000 Segment | Execution of Post routines in E00

I have reset the CMOS and tested the battery its fine.. Everything is booting up and i tried out my sisters 9800GTX (christ the EVGA Version is a monster and loud, mines the PNY XLR8, i digress)

Oh and for sheer amusement of other PC techs who will understand.. after i turned on the PC i reached up to touch the center part of the fan on my video card which have done hundreds of times to check to see if it was spinning, and miscalculated with my foggy sick brain and sliced open my finger a tiny bit on the damn fan.. why does working on a PC always result in blood shed)

Trish - Looked at the MB system manual and it sounds like it could be a couple issues

Pull all the RAM and reinstall just the minimum (One or two DIMMS depending on the MB)

Could be a PS (Only way to know would be to use a multi meter or a spare)

Could be an automated BIOS update / failure (Any chance you use one of the utilities to auto update?)

Manaul (if you could not finD)

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-YW-E173.pdf

* Have a ton of parts laying around if you need anything (PS/ Vid card/ RAM)

Dave

Thought just popped in my head for a cheap possible fix, swap out the Battery for Bios on the motherboard to see if a few dollar battery may be the culprit.

PC will still post with a dead battery will just post with a error about bio setting not saved.